What can I drink outside of water, tea, and coffee

K17duffy

• Moderators

We invested in a SodaStream machine. Well worth the money! Every evening, I have my husband make me a nice drink. He fizzes up cold water in the bottle, the pours it over two ice cubes in a nice glass, lemon and or lime wedge. It's fizzy and just lovely!

I also swear by kombucha. The GTs Gingerade and Gingerberry are my favorites.

I'm also partial to a nice hot cup of rooibos tea.

I must be the only person that did not like the La Croix waters. I bought the berry flavored and couldn't take more than a few sips. I was left with a case of water that I couldn't drink. When not doing the Whole 30, there are a few advocare supplements that I like to take. I saw a post from my personal trainer who likes to add powered Spark to her sparkling water. I tried it with La Croix and it was actually really good. I might still try some other flavors and if I don't like those, at least I have a way to save it.

One thing I do like to do are infused waters. I'll take a jug of water and add different fruits with mint.

Where can you find these compliant sparkling flavored waters? And kombucha? La Croix Sparkling Water?

My local grocery store has compliant sparkling water made by Polar. My local Whole Foods has kombucha. 

• 2 weeks later...

What about coconut water? It's straight up nothing added and yummy!

Here's the Whole30 scoop on coconut water from the Can I Have Guide:

"Coconut Water: Read your labels Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30.

Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ODkwkuu0.dpuf

oh good, i only purchase the ones that are compliant and i only drink them occasionally.  i LOVE la croix coconut sparkling water the most!  the other day i found myself at a friends birthday party and everyone was drinking alcohol.  i was chugging la croix like it was going out of style (it was also super hot outside)  i had 2 coconut waters in a 6 hour period to help with the temptation that the cold hard apple cider was posing to my reality.

whatever gets you through the day sometimes...

• 2 months later...

Iced herbal tea is delicious. 

No sweetener of course. 

My favorite is hibiscus, or "jamaica" tea. 

This is also the main ingredient in Starbucks Passion Tea. 

I often buy the Passion Tea myself and make the iced tea. 

Very refreshing and delicious. 

Rooibos is also a robust and great tasting tea with no caffeine. Its great with coconut milk or coconut oil added and also tastes wonderful iced. 

Anyone with candida issues should beware of kombucha - the yeast/fermentation process can feed that beast. 

I also love the La Croix sparkling waters. Prior to Whole 30, I was a big soda pop fiend (2-5 cans a day), so giving that up was a challenge. But it hasn't been too bad. As for tea... Be sure to check your ingredients. I was surprised to see how many teas contain soy lecithin.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, vonbonehenge said:

My Dh is a picky "drinker" he does not like "bubbles" in his water.. and diet iced tea.. or iced tea with sweetener... He used to drink flavored coffee..so right now.. plain WATER is all he is drinking. Can he has some juice.. Like the "Nacked" juice?

He could add a splash of juice to some water to change the flavor, or do infused waters (lots of ideas for flavors on this site, may not all be Whole30, and you don't need a special container for them, just slice/chop the fruit, kind of smush and herbs you add, and put them in a pitcher of water in the fridge overnight:   http://www.infusedwaters.com/).  He might like different kinds of tea -- maybe a fruity herbal tea, or a spicy chai or ginger tea-- or if he doesn't like them iced, he might like them hot. 

Also, if by flavored coffee you mean where the coffee grounds/beans themselves are flavored, those are okay to have, he just can't add flavored syrups. I like Via Bom Dia brand coffees (https://www.viabomdia.com/) that are actually made by grinding various spices in with the coffee beans, rather than treating the beans with flavors, but if he has a favorite coffee, it may be compliant, just check the ingredients.

Here is the official word on juice from the Can I Have list (https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/): 

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice is technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

I for one am a big fan of putting fruit in my water for flavoring using a bottle that has a fruit basket in it.  Currently it is holding cucumber and yesterday it had strawberries.  I'm thinking oranges will be tomorrow's flavor.  I keep it filled with water and it takes on the subtle fruit flavor and is super refreshing..  

Archived