BACON!!

Elizabeth!

Hey guys!  I went to Whole Foods on my lunch break today to get a fresh salad so I took a picture of the Whole 30 approved bacon.  Hope you can find it at your local store :)

I'm in Australia, with no compliant bacon, but I just love that they put on the packaging... NOT a low calorie food... that's awesome! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW - all pork is "naturally raised" and has "no hormones" in the US so don't get sucked in by packaging hype. I love bacon as much as the next person but pastured, quality bacon is expensive - anything you find for 5 or 6 bucks is highly unlikely to be the quality bacon our bodies deserve. I treat bacon as a condiment at best since it is cost-prohibitive and even the best bacon is still highly processed compared to say, a pork chop or steak. 

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

I went to Whole Foods to try to find compliant bacon (since US Wellness is waaaaaaaay too expensive!) and I found Wellshire Farms sugar free dry rubbed all natural uncured bacon.... I was wondering if this is compliant? The ingredients say pork, sea salt, black pepper, fenugreek, nutmeg, white pepper, mace, and allspice. It says that it is Paleo approved, but wanted to check before I ate it. Thanks!

• Moderators

Hi everyone,

I went to Whole Foods to try to find compliant bacon (since US Wellness is waaaaaaaay too expensive!) and I found Wellshire Farms sugar free dry rubbed all natural uncured bacon.... I was wondering if this is compliant? The ingredients say pork, sea salt, black pepper, fenugreek, nutmeg, white pepper, mace, and allspice. It says that it is Paleo approved, but wanted to check before I ate it. Thanks!

Yes, this is fine.

• 1 month later...

You know, whole foods often sells fresh pork belly and there are many recipes on the internet for paleo sugar free bacon. I'm about to start my second whole30 on April 1st and I think I'm going to experiment with making my own. Thanks for mentioning that it is a fat on whole30 meGA"gardener" as I hadn't realized that previously. I find that paleo and whole30 approved foods like bacon and lunch meat while tasty are just too expensive so I can just make it myself.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

The prices I saw for bacon are outrageous -- on the order of $18-$19 for 1.5 pounds. I can't afford that. Are there cheaper options out there that deliver?

Many people find Pederson's brand at their local Sprout's or Whole Foods (not all varieties of that brand are compliant, always read your labels), which I realize isn't delivery, but depending on where you live might be an option. You can also check the options on the Whole30 Approved page if you haven't already and see if the prices are any better for different brands.

Keep in mind that bacon isn't really meant for everyday consumption, regardless of how many paleo websites feature pics of plates piled high with bacon (read why here). Personally, I'll pay more, and then eat it less often, and that works for me -- there are enough other fat sources to choose from during Whole30 that no one needs bacon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 3:22 PM, MrsStick said:

Gwantley's at Publix is no sugar (but it does have a few non-forbidden chemicals - sodium nitrite/erythorbate/phosphate).

I bought Gwantley's too! I couldn't find any organic bacon without sugar and I live off bacon and eggs in the morning. I'm surprised so many people have such a problem finding compliant bacon- there are plenty of brands with no added sugar, I guess it just depends on the quality of meat you're looking for. I would prefer something nicer but I'll take what I can get because I'm not going 30 days eating only eggs when I already had to give up my toast :P

Archived