tikka masala

Freundther

I'd use ghee or clarified butter instead of vegie oil, and coconut cream instead of the dairy - I'd probably just use cream for yoghurt and not bother with coconut yoghurt. I think most bought ones would have sweetener added?

Yum! You could serve it with cauli rice, and perhaps raita with coconut "cream" and cucumber/mint/garlic stirred through?

• Moderators

I've made a bunch of Indian dishes substituting canned coconut milk for yogurt, cream, or milk. All of them turned out beautifully. And once, when I said my food was not authentic Indian, an Indian person scolded me saying that coconut milk was plenty authentic. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yumm, I love Indian food!!! I made chicken tikka masala during my whole30 in August!

I have long been subbing out coconut milk for heavy cream in the sauce (been making my recipe for like 3 years, pasted below if you are interested) and I love it - it has a great flavor and the coconut is very subtle. But during the whole30, I also had to sub coconut milk for the yogurt. I assure you, it made NO discernable difference in flavor. 

I served it with a tomato-cucumber salad and over cauliflower "rice." DIVINE!

Here is my recipe, which I make all the time. Adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala/

1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized cubes

Marinade: 

1 cup coconut milk (I use yogurt when not on whole30)

1 T lemon juice

2 t cumun

2 t cinnamon

2 t cayenne pepper

1 t black pepper

1 T minced fresh ginger *I use ground all the time, no problems

Dash of salt

Sauce:

1 T coconut oil or ghee

2 cloves garlic

1 jalapeno pepper

2 t cumin

2 t paprika

1 t salt

1 8-oz can tomato sauce

1 14-oz can coconut milk

Chopped fresh cilantro

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and a dash of salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat a grill for high heat.
  3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
  4. Melt butter/ghee in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and coconut oil. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

OMG I made this for dinner tonight - and did cauliflower rice and instead of yogurt and cream used coconut milk. It was the best chicken tikka masala I've EVER made! My boyfriend agreed (not doing Whole30) that the cauliflower was better than the rice, as he munched on naan bread (been gluten free 1.5 years and still miss that one). 

• 4 weeks later...

Emily T, thank you THANK YOU for the recipe! Last night I was looking through a paleo cookbook and my husband commented he wished there was a recipe for tikka masala.

And then I find one here. woot!! :)

I know he'll be thrilled. Will switch up the chicken dish I was planning on making Friday night for this instead, along with the cauliflower rice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/8/2013 at 9:14 PM, amywhole30s said:

OMG I made this for dinner tonight - and did cauliflower rice and instead of yogurt and cream used coconut milk. It was the best chicken tikka masala I've EVER made! My boyfriend agreed (not doing Whole30) that the cauliflower was better than the rice, as he munched on naan bread (been gluten free 1.5 years and still miss that one). 

Amy, which one did you make?  Emily's or the one from the original post?

• 5 months later...

You can always use some of the tomato puree in place of the yoghurt as your marinading base. Though I'm not sure why this recipe uses so much yoghurt. Usually a couple of tablespoons suffices, so just mix the spices in a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree and marinade like that.

There's no coconut taste this way, and the tomato is still sour so it should hit all the right notes.

Archived