The oils...

amywhole30s

Are certain oils BIG no-nos?

I am feeling really great on day 8 but I noticed that my nuts mix has peanut oil as the last ingredient

I also noticed my sunflower seeds have soybean oil (which I'm guessing is probably the big no-no?) I've had maybe the equivalent of a 1/4 cup over 8 days here. 

I cook with coconut and olive oil. 

Peanut, soybean, and canola oil are for certain no nos. I am sure there are others but I know that during your Whole 30 you need to stay clear of these for sure.  You are right about cooking with coconut and olive oil. You can use lard, tallow, ghee as other options too.  I have avocado oil but it is expensive and so I only use it for things that I don't want to have the coconut taste. 

Just remember that if you are not to have the actual thing, i.e peanuts or soy, then their oils should not be had either. 

• Moderators

Actually, although canola oil is a bad choice, it is acceptable during a Whole30. If we banned canola oil, you could not eat in a restaurant for 30 days. On the other hand, soybean oil and peanut oil are a big issue and you can't eat foods containing them even if it is in small quantities.

• 3 weeks later...

macadamia nut oil, avocado oil and olive oil are fine. I would use these for mayo and salad dressing etc. and use coconut oil, ghee or lard for cooking.

I have no clue about "tea seed" cooking oil, although just guessing, as a seed it might fall into a similar "avoid if possible but not prohibited" category as the other seed oils? (sunflower seed oil, etc.). You might consider refrigerating that oil to keep it fresh for after your whole30.

Just a little bit information on the tea seeds oil aka camellia oil.  It has high monounsaturated fat, like olive oil.  It also gives very nice aroma.

http://assurance-wireless.net/tea-seed-oil/

http://www.aretteorganic.com/neb-natural.pdf

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-kosher-weak-nails-tea-seed-oil-and-greasing-the-groove/#axzz2lJzz5z8H

• 3 months later...

walnut oil is pretty fragile, so I would use it in salad dressing or maybe mayo? (-haven't tried it, might be too strong in flavor) but not for cooking.

Sesame is a a seed oil, so not the best choice, but permitted during a whole30. Personally I use toasted sesame oil when I want that specific flavor profile but otherwise I keep to coconut oil, ghee and animal fats for cooking; olive, avocado or macadamia nut oil for finishing.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would ask here rather than creating a new one. 

I want to make a cauliflower fried rice but I have not been able to find coconut aminos or coconut vinegar here in the Caribbean. So I'm thinking of adding a dash of sesame oil to my fried rice when it's finished cooking, just for flavor. My concern however, is the leftovers. If I carry leftovers to work on Monday I'll have to microwave the food before eating and the temperatures can get up to 212F (100C). Is this too hot for the oil? I don't want to cause any oxidation. I know the food is not heated for long but I'm still concerned. Advice? Is microwaving a problem for seed oils? 

Archived