Portable Post-WO Meal

Spunky Penguin

I started my Whole30 Monday and so far, so good.  I typically workout at the gym 2-3 mornings per week (combo of cardio/strength).  I shower and change there and then have a 60 minute commute (then I eat breakfast when I get to work and have a microwave).  I need ideas for something that is portable and tastes good cold (no option to heat it up).  My pre-WO is hard boiled eggs, so having more after is not all that appealing.  This week, I kind of winged it, but I want to plan a little better for next week.

Cold chicken breast and sweet potato is tasty :)

A bit more effort, but you could grate the sweet potato, mince the chicken breast, smoosh it together with some egg whites and herbs and spices then bake it like a slice.

One of my "winging it" post-WO meals was Chipotle Chicken Sweet potato skins that had been dinner one night.  Not bad, but not as good as they were warm

Amberino..it may resonate to someone else. Not everyone cares to be like you. As likeable as you are. :)

It would be boring if anyone did...or maybe slightly weird :P

PostWO is just something that you eat though. Because it IS fuel - like the medicine you have to take because it actually helps you, but involves swallowing a tablet the size of a grape. It would be better if it was different, but you do it anyway.

There aren't many ways to fancy up plain meat and starchy vegies without fat, and there's not an awful lot of time to sit down and enjoy the food :)

Oddly I've found that cold chicken is good POST wo. I've never liked left over meat but now I oddly enjoy my PWO cold chicken and raosted sweet potatoes. I think it's because my body recognizes it now as fuel and wants to be fed after a workout.

This morning I had two left over chicken drumsticks (damn fine chicken from nomnompaleo.com) which were superb and held me over until breakfast. I work out super early and just left them in my lunch container in the car. It's so cold in the mornign I'm not concerned with the food spoiling.

I agree with Amberino on this one,..just eat a quick something simple to get the job done. Then focus on enjoying a nice meal after that.

A small thermos with butternut squash soup and shredded chicken would be good on an early morning. Otherwise, I am in the amp of old chicken and a sweet potato. Just sort of gets the job done so I can move on with my day.

• 2 weeks later...

As everyone else is talking about, I too eat chicken & sweet potato... I will cook a pack (or two) of chicken in the crockpot with compliant broth or water and lots of seasonings (on high for 4 hrs) and shred with forks (just falls apart). I pack it in a small container on top of mashed sweet potato and eat the two mixed together after workout. It doesn't taste bad to me at all :) (since it's cool outside now I will leave in my car and eat it after and it ends up being room temp)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really struggling on this front right now. As I get back into training this has been really the hardest part. Especially after I get out of the swimming pool. It's Colorado and I swim outside so I run from the pool to the locker room. Then I'm in my suit and I have to shower, and sometimes the hot tub in involved and wham....15 minute window....gone. I'm not going to eat chicken and sweet potato in the locker room. I don't think that's very respectful. So stuck here....

I wish there were some better options that chicken and sweet potato....

I'm really struggling on this front right now. As I get back into training this has been really the hardest part. Especially after I get out of the swimming pool. It's Colorado and I swim outside so I run from the pool to the locker room. Then I'm in my suit and I have to shower, and sometimes the hot tub in involved and wham....15 minute window....gone. I'm not going to eat chicken and sweet potato in the locker room. I don't think that's very respectful. So stuck here....

I wish there were some better options that chicken and sweet potato....

I've made bars out of sweet potato puree, dried egg whites, and spices (cinnamon, vanilla powder, etc). Pretty tasty, and no different from a powerbar.*

*No different in terms of how much it would bother other people at the pool, that is. Nutritionally, it's a lot different.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same dilemma I am at the gym at 6 am then off to work  my favorite on the road post workout food:

figs, large flake shredded coconut (unsweetened of course) and bacon 

I like the thick cut bacon I bake a tray of it early in the week and use it for lots of things during the week 

this is the one time a day I eat dried fruit but after a hard work out 3-4 figs work well and I do not feel any big insulin spikes as I have with dates - I get the unsulfured at whole foods I used to by trader joes but they add sulfur dioxide to them now. 

yams boiled and eaten as chunks can work also along with butternut or any squash

A bit more effort, but you could grate the sweet potato, mince the chicken breast, smoosh it together with some egg whites and herbs and spices then bake it like a slice.

I like this idea. I may try making this cupcake-style. I drive all day for work and need something I can eat while driving. And I like to go to CF at 1200 so this would be perfect. question though - would it also serve as my lunch if the portion is adequate? Or do I eat again awhile later?

It helped a lot reading these suggestions. I Crossfit at least 4 times a week and hardly ever eat within the 15-30 minute time frame (and I live 5 minutes from my box)....bad, I know. Silly to think of now, but I never entertained the thought of just bringing regular food. Or maybe I have but quickly tossed it to the side because I would look "weird" eating 'real food' while everyone else shakes up their protein powders LOL But hey, I'm already the weird girl there (in a good way)...I lift really heavy (sometimes heavier than the guys) So, thanks to all of you lovely people, I will be bringing in my protein & veggies with no cares!

I also have a long commute after my wo. Sometimes I heat at home before the gym and keep in an insulated bag. That way its at least warm when I get back in the car. Othertimes I ask the staff at the gym if I can heat my food in their micro before I hit the road. I really have a strong aversion to eating food cold that is supposed to be hot ( though I appreciate the thought above - it's not meant to be gourmet, just meant to be nourishment after a wo.) Maybe that will help me turn the corner.

I've made bars out of sweet potato puree, dried egg whites, and spices (cinnamon, vanilla powder, etc). Pretty tasty, and no different from a powerbar.*

*No different in terms of how much it would bother other people at the pool, that is. Nutritionally, it's a lot different.

I'd love more info/recipe on how you did this if you don't mind

I'd love more info/recipe on how you did this if you don't mind

1 cup of mashed sweet potato, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp vanilla powder, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/4 c egg white powder. mix it all, shape into flat discs and bake for 15 minutes at 350F. You could probably bake them as bars, too.

Archived