Sashimi and ???

kpagan

OK... so I love my sushi and have been fine with sashimi...which to me is a dinner I really consider a treat.  I've been struggling with what to dip it in though.  I usually like to use lite soy with a lot of the wasabi paste... but know soy sauce is a no-no.   Any ideas for good alternatives that have that similar salty dip.. or even better.. something that will taste great with the wasabi paste in it?

Thanks!  k

be careful about wasabi paste--I've not seen one without some other ingredient (corn oil? rice bran oil? etc) that is not on plan.

That said: coconut aminos make a great sub for soy sauce. They are a tiny bit sweeter, so you might want to add a pinch of sea salt also.

Excellent.  I will see if i can find coconut aminos and give it a whirl this week on sushi night (well... for me.. sashimi)!  

Noted on the wasabi paste... I had wondered about it and was very light using the wasabi/soy sauce combo.  (I know that's technically at no-no... but my body didn't entirely revolt.. so that was good!)

• 5 months later...

Has anyone ever taken cocnut aminos to a restaurant and used them?  I will be going for sashimi next weekend and have been a bit concerned about this.  I tend to only use a small amount of soy sauce/wasabi in general but I want to be 100% compliant.

Many folks have stated they've done this in previous forum posts.  What's your concern?

Thanks for your reply Chris .. this happened to be the only thread I read on sashimi. 

My concern?  I imagine some restaurants would be ok with it and others not so much.

Well, I guess you won't know until you try.  ;)

If it were me, I would be as discreet about it as possible, and if a restaurant employee says something, tell them you cannot consume soy, so you bring your own non-soy dipping sauce.

• 1 year later...

I called up my local sushi place and asked them if they offer any alternative soy sauce like coconut aminos. She told me no so I then asked if it would be weird for me to bring my own. She laughed and said no don't worry about that people do it all the time. :)

This is what I think about bringing other food to restaurants -- I'm paying so I should be able to ask for what I need and/or bring what they don't have with me.  In fact we even bring grass fed foods and organic veggies to my parents' house.  It may not be necessary to worry about organic and grass fed on the Whole 30, but to me it is.

If you want to be more discrete about the coconut aminos, why not put some in a small travel dressing bottle that can fit in a pocket or purse? Chances are, you can slip it in and out and nobody will even notice. If someone DOES say something, just explain that you have food restrictions and cannot consume soy.

I can do sashimi. I'm fine with trying the coconut aminos. I'm perfectly ok with asking the restaurant if they can make my rolls without rice (which is more likely than the sashimi because my friends and I go for half-price rolls). 

The lack of wasabi, however, may be a problem.

• Moderators

I'm not on a whole30 right now... more of a WholeSugarcube where some rice is acceptable in occasional sushi.  As Soy is never acceptable to me, I brought my bottle of coconut aminos in my purse, sat down, took it out and put it right there on the table. No one cares.  Seriously.. I also bring my own bottle of water since I drink so much and they have to constantly fill my tiny little cup otherwise.  They don't care.  Maybe they would if it was a fancier restaurant but I really doubt anyone would ever say something to you.

I have always just eaten 'bare' !  love it that way, nothing to get in the way of the true flavor.

Ya! Last sushi place I was at, the proprietor (old Japanese lady) noticed I wasn't using any, whereas my friend was. She said she didn't use any either because she liked to taste the fish, etc., and actually started joking a bit about how she gets shocked how much some people do use ... said she's had people go through half a bottle during 1 meal. :-O

Pickled ginger: palate cleanser between pieces, or condiment?  I always ate the ginger alone between pieces until I met someone who ate it with the sashimi.  Tried it, and it's interesting but not my thing.

I found a shaker bottle of just wasabi ground to a fine dust.  So I ask them to hold the silly putty, and I shake dry wasabi on the fish.  It's pretty stealth too, you can whip that bottle out and hit the whole plate in a few shakes if you don't like to display your condiment tray at the table.  I usually put it away at the foodie place that plays anime on 15 screens, dresses the servers in video game character costumes, and makes sorbet with liquid nitrogen, but leave it out at the little family place.  I'm now greeted at the family place, "Wasabi Man!" so they're not offended that I shun their ball of paste.

• Administrators

Pickled ginger: palate cleanser between pieces, or condiment?  I always ate the ginger alone between pieces until I met someone who ate it with the sashimi.  Tried it, and it's interesting but not my thing.

Watch the pickled ginger....it's called gari (I think) and it's usually marinated in vinegar and sugar.

• Administrators

Watch the pickled ginger....it's called gari (I think) and it's usually marinated in vinegar and sugar.

PS....when I have sushi and am not on Whole30 I pile the pickled ginger on top of each piece and eat it that way, SO good.  ;)

Do any of you know what to order besides sashimi? I'd still like to eat vegetables at a sushi place.

salad? 

the regular green salad is probably ok (check to make sure the dressing is compliant--most likely not), and sometimes they can give you sushi veggies as a side (cucumber, asparagus, carrot, avocado, etc.).

Seaweed salad will have sugar and soy, so not that, and also no tempura due to the breading.

Archived