Mott's natural Applesauce

BeckyJM

Yes. That's what you have to do is read the ingredients on everything. Asking in the forum is OK, but I have read that some people have found that ingredients vary regionally for a given product.

You may have thought about it already, but consider puréed soups and maybe add minced meat as you will need your protein. You'll need more nutrition than just applesauce!

• 4 months later...

This is interesting. I would assume that if smoothies are not allowed on the whole 30 (see "It Starts With Food" page 192) then why would applesauce be allowed? I am on day 8 of my second Whole 30 and I thought apple sauce was off limits.

Can someone please clarify why apple sauce would be ok, since it is a processed food that doesn't include the rest of the fruit fibers (like the skin)? I would LOVE to have apple sauce, but I am very wary of it. Please clarify.

The issue with smoothies is that you are drinking your food and by not chewing, you aren't sending the proper signals to your brain that you've eaten, so you don't feel satiated and are more likely to over eat. They are also sugar bombs with lots of fruit most of the time, and most people who drink lots of smoothies use them to replace a meal, which is not optimal.

Apple sauce is usually eaten as a snack or a side that goes with something else. It's also still a sugar bomb, but eating a 1/2 cup of apple sauce with a meal is a lot better than downing 24-36 ounces of pureed fruit with a scoop of protein powder and a handful of spinach or kale in place of a real meal.

As far as being processed, it's only mechanically processed, which is just fine. The issue paleo and whole30 has with processed foods are usually chemically processed. Things that have been chemically altered or exposed to chemical detergents and processes that alter them and make them unhealthy. Things like artificial sweeteners, vegetable oils, and mystery chemicals found in most packaged foods. 

Apple sauce is just apples that have been peeled, cored, and cooked down into mush. They add a little vitamin C to prevent browning and act as a preservative. Yes, the peels have been removed, but I tried to make apple sauce with the peels still attached and they end up like hard little slivers that are very unpleasant to eat. The fiber in the remainder of the apple is still present though, unlike in apple juice.

It is soooo easy to make your own applesauce in the crockpot. Peel a bunch of apples, slice in rough chunks, put them in the crockpot with a cinnamon stick, plus the zest and juice of a lemon. Cover and cook on low all day. When everything gets soft, stir it with a whisk to break up the chunks (unless you like them). I could not believe how much better this was than applesauce you buy, so much better flavor! I only a small amount because it's cooked down, therefore more concentrated sweetness. But if you buy applesauce anyway, give this a try.

Archived