Kimchi vs the no added sugar requirement

Frances

Hi guys

I was eating kimchi before when I was doing not-so-strict paleo, and I'd like to have some now, but the only kimchi I can get has sugar in the ingredients. However, I thought that sugar was vital because that's what the bacteria in it live on - how do they live if there is no sugar to eat?

Given this is an authentic Korean kimchi - heavy duty spice, no sweet flavour - and that the point is that bacteria do eat it and therefore you end up with less sugar than you started with, is this acceptable under the no-added-sugar rule, or is the fact that it was there to start with key here?

If it's wrong to have sugar in it, what should the bacteria be kept alive on?

Thanks!

It's possible to find kimchi made without sugar, although it can take some searching. The lactobacilli bacteria that ferment kimchi (and sauerkraut) can live on the natural sugars in the cabbage, carrots or other veg in kimchi. Although most of the kimchi in the Korean market I go to have sugar, I've also found store made that doesn't. If you can't find kimchi locally without sugar, you can order it online or make your own. You can either leave the sugar out of recipes or substitute a grated apple or pear.

Sunja's kimchi is no sugar and they ship. http://www.sunjaskimchi.com

Thanks Kayell. I don't think we can get that in Australia (certainly I haven't found any brands here that do) so we'll just wait for two weeks and eat it when we're off the Whole30. :)

Good to know - thanks!

It's possible to find kimchi made without sugar, although it can take some searching. The lactobacilli bacteria that ferment kimchi (and sauerkraut) can live on the natural sugars in the cabbage, carrots or other veg in kimchi. Although most of the kimchi in the Korean market I go to have sugar, I've also found store made that doesn't. If you can't find kimchi locally without sugar, you can order it online or make your own. You can either leave the sugar out of recipes or substitute a grated apple or pear.

Sunja's kimchi is no sugar and they ship. http://www.sunjaskimchi.com

I got so excited about this post I went straight to the site to order but then I found a whopping $23 shipping charge HOLY MOLY!

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Peace love and vegetables brand sour kraut kimchi has no added sugar and is the best kimchi I have ever had. They are a Byron bay company, I live in S.A and my local organic shop stocks it, not sure if they do online. But you could check their stockists? 

18 hours ago, Meg44 said:

Peace love and vegetables brand sour kraut kimchi has no added sugar and is the best kimchi I have ever had. They are a Byron bay company, I live in S.A and my local organic shop stocks it, not sure if they do online. But you could check their stockists? 

Saw that at Woolies the other day! They have refurbed and have a whole new range of stuff you otherwise never would have seen at a big chain.

Archived