What to eat with soup instead of bread?

Now that it's cold out, all I want to eat is soup. Especially hearty main dish soups and stews with lots of meat and veggies. Typically I think people would round this out with a hunk of bread, but I was wondering if anyone has found a nice non-SWYPO alternative. It doesn't necessarily have to be breadlike at all, just a side dish with soup that you find satisfying. I was thinking perhaps some kind of veggie muffin, like these spinach muffins. Or nori crisps. Any other ideas?

I've made a couple of soups lately and have put the protein right in the soup.  Last night I made cauliflower soup and had it with some sausage and sauted mushrooms.  Earlier I had some basil sweet potato soup with shredded pork.

It is the perfect time of year for delicious soup, you're right about that!

You're making me crave soup. Alas, with temps supposedly getting to nearly 40 C here by the end of the week, soup is not on my agenda! Haha...

Unless you're having a protein in your soup, some sort of egg/meat muffin might be a good idea...you could squish hamburgers out really flat and bake til crispy/firm? I also don't mind big slices of roasted cauliflower, but that's not going to help get your protein in :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a delicious butternut soup yesterday with pure vegetable stock (no salt added, no sugar, nothing but veggies). Used butternut squash, onions, celery, a small sweet pototo, the veggie stock and a bit of kale. Added cumin, curry powder, ginger and a dash of nutmeg, salt. After it was soft and cooked, I put everything in the blender. Made a nice "creamy" soup. Great on a cold day. I'm pairing it today for lunch with a tossed salad and grilled chicken.  It's  thick enough to even use a few tablespoons in my stir fry veggies.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived