January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Hi gang! Welcome everyone new to program and seasoned veterans.

No time to chat but wanted to comment for those of you on the fence, I'd recommend subscribing to the daily newsletters if this is your first go around. They are not that expensive and do keep you motivated along with this group process.

I found for a nominal amount, it was worth the daily read.

Best of holidays to all! Looking forward to the 6th!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I just tried to sign up for the emails but I didn't get the confirmation email, so I am not sure if it went through or not. I checked the spam box and sent the admin an email. Luckily I still have a few days until the 26th, which will be my day 0. Feeling excited!

Okay. I gave myself another Christmas gift and shelled out for the emails....got my day 0 email immediately as i want to start tomorrow.

I posted in the meal planning forum about how to combine lunch with post workout meals and breakfast as preworkout meals (for holiday gym hours)...if anyone has any advice they wish to share (either here or there).

I had been following a fairly strict diet with lots of whole foods and little processed foods until recently, but I think my biggest challenge will be to stay away from coke zero and chewing gum - my boredom eating "foods" of choice.

Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas (I'm in NZ), and didn't indulge as much as i did! :o:lol::D

Mcbellnz, good luck on your day 1 today! I'll check out your post in Meal planning. I have not really made the pre- and postworkout meals, since they are difficult to get in my schedule. (I run as part of my commute at early crack'a dawn most days and then eat when I get to work.) I'll need to think about that too!

Morning all! It's Christmas in the States so up early with a little downtime. Re workouts and pre/post food. I found on round one that it was easy to slip a light protein in before workout ie hard boiled egg. I had more difficulty getting a post workout meal in without it being my full breakfast. I played with it a bit based on schedule realities and how I felt. Here's what I came up with. If I ate nothing, I had limited endurance for the workout. One egg/fat about an hour before made a huge difference. If I did not do tge post workout snack, I was just hungrier throughout the day and tended crave more snacks. I settled on very light post workout snack: protein &carb and ate my full breakfast about an hour or so later. Play with it for yourselves and see what fits.

As far as being a coke zero and gum junkie-I really recommend finding alternatives. I also noted that my biggest challenge was needing to chew (irregardless of hunger) and my diet coke habit. The first several days were rough and after that the urge came and went much more rapidly and at the end I decided not to reintroduce soda. Alternatives worked for me and in fact I learned very fast that there were times my body craved water. Plain water. But, I'd recommend avoiding any substitution for the first week. If you do it too soon, your mind perceives it as a replacement which will disappoint you because it won't have the same taste. After that, you can perceive alternatives as just being that, another choice/option to water that is healthy. I enjoy La Croix sparkling water-many flavors. I didn't replace the chewing need. I wanted that to just resolve. It did but took much longer.

I'm glad you splurged on the emails. Any and all support is helpful and they are insightful. Plus, its something to look forward too every day that says "hey, we're with you!"

Best of success gang. Still looking forward to the 6th here!

Well breakfast was easy - 2 eggs scrambled, sauteed mushrooms and wilted spinach, a small amount of leftover turkey and about 1/4 of an avocado.  Of course while I was searching in the cupboards for my coconut oil, while mixing my eggs in a coffee mug, I dropped a full jar of "pics peanut butter" on the mug, which smashed it and splashed egg mixture all over me and left mug shards all over the floor - managed to catch the peanut butter jar though, and didn't spill eggs on the floor.........so wasted two eggs, and had to sweep the floor and have destroyed a "tim tam" heirloom coffee cup from an Easter egg pack in 2008.....so sad.  Had to resort to olive oil for the pan this morning, will go through the cupboards properly during the day - this is why you are meant to have a day 0 to prepare - I was just so keen to get started.  And obviously I can not physically multi-task with whisking eggs and searching through badly stacked cupboards.

Just a quick question about fats in meals - am I reading it correctly that we use a thumb sized portion of cooking fat in addition to also either coconut, olives, or avocado "good" fat in our meals?

Hopefully I can stay on the W30 wagon all the way through to 6th of Jan, so I can do like a whole40 instead.  Might have to start up a log.  Thanks for the pre/post workout meal tips.  Think I will boil up an egg this evening and have it as a light breakfast tomorrow, go to the gym when it opens (8am) and then have a proper breakfast with some carbs once I am back from the gym as my post workout meal.  Hopefully that will work and I can follow the same routine for next weeks gym visits.

Just a quick question about fats in meals - am I reading it correctly that we use a thumb sized portion of cooking fat in addition to also either coconut, olives, or avocado "good" fat in our meals?

mcbell - Excellent to have you leading us to glory!  No pressure.  :)

To answer your question, my hope is that a moderator will chime in.  But my understanding is yes, one or two fat size portions PER MEAL.  Two fat size portions could be 1-2 thumbs of oil or nut butter AND ... a half an avocado or a heaping handful of coconut flakes/olives or a closed handful of nuts ...  I was surprised by how much good fat was available on W30.  My experience in round 1 was that as long as I was leaning toward the "Best" category of fats and not abusing the privilege, bring on the good fat!

Another tip which you alluded to -- I found you need to stay ahead of this.  Be prepared.  Eat what is recommended each meal.  Sometimes it may seem like alot but it will save you from feeling hungry when things get a little dodgy.

Is it one thumb of cooking fat plus another thumb with the meal? I was just cooking my food as usually and then eating one thumb with my meal. Usually the homemade mayo. Strongly recommend making the mayo! I will today, as part of my day 0.

Way to go McBell! Sorry about the mug, too bad it was the peanutbutter jar that survived and not the mug. Those evil legumes! ;)

To answer your question, my hope is that a moderator will chime in.  But my understanding is yes, one or two fat size portions PER MEAL.  Two fat size portions could be 1-2 thumbs of oil or nut butter AND ... a half an avocado or a heaping handful of coconut flakes/olives or a closed handful of nuts ...  

Is it one thumb of cooking fat plus another thumb with the meal? I was just cooking my food as usually and then eating one thumb with my meal. 

The guideline is one or more fat sources per meal, following the meal template for portion sizes of each fat (as Robert2014 correctly stated, some use a thumb as a measurement, others are handfuls or other type of measurement). http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

If you have cooking fat that stays in the pan, you don't count that, as you're not eating it.

Well Good morning all and I do hope those that were celebrating Christmas ~ enjoyed! 

Mcbell ~ way to go leading the group on Day 1!  Husband and I start today :)  ~ we will be staying with the Team J61 for the duration of the 30 plus days!!

So sorry to read you lost your coffee mug Mcbell and the peanut butter jar was saved ` ugh...

We had primal holiday meals and my "off roading" consisted of a small piece of ice cream cake on xmas eve.  Overall, a success and no "food "  hangovers this year!

Bob, totally agree with you comment on staying prepared.  I am planning out meals to cook over the weekend so there is always something compliant in the fridge...the crock pot will be put to good use and will always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge.

And Bob, I found the Larabars last week when I was out so I have a supply in the pantry. Thank you for the tip!!

Whole 30 compliant foods in the house and bone broth in the crock pot!! 

Wanted to check in and say hello to all ~ Have a wonderful day.

Best

Cheryl

I'm in! All my holiday company leaves on Jan 5th so Jan 6th is day 1 for me. I just had my second baby on Nov 9th 2013 (first born Apr. 7th 2012) so I am looking to jump start my baby-weight loss and really clean up my diet! My body has been through A LOT the last two years so 2014 is the year I get my body back!!! This will be my first Whole30!

Hello All!

Just love how our group is growing!!

Update on Days 1 and 2 :

We cooked a primal Christmas dinner of ham, mashed cauliflower, squash and stuffed mushrooms ~so that carried into Day 1 of our Whole 30

Breakfast was eggs , uncured bacon and zucchini (yum)!

Lunch today was some left over turkey (from xmas eve dinner) small amount of fresh fruit and almonds (probably a few too many :(

Leftovers again today (day 2) for dinner and I've just prepared a potroast with carrots and onions to put in the crock pot on Saturday morning. I have brussell sprouts to go along with tomorrows dinner :)

Off to Trader Joe's first thing on Saturday to pick up a few extra fruits, uncured meats, veggies, coconut milk and eggs....

Sending positive thoughts to all of you getting your pantry's ready and W30 food in your home. The preparation of these last few meals and making sure I have lots of leftovers has been a huge help!

Be well!

Cheryl

Welcome to everyone! It makes me happy to see our thread marken as HOT!

I just finished day 1. Feel good. Honestly, the only difference from regular eating for me is that I *try* to stick to three meals per day and do not allow myself dark chocolate while passed out on the couch at night. But those changes are really hard for me!

I also realized I eat a lot of fruit and I may need to find alternatives. Boiled eggs might work, but I eat that for breakfast when working, so it might be too many eggs instead. Decisions, decisions...

Hi everyone,

So I went back and forth today as to starting on the 1st or the 6th, and I've opted for the 1st, but this thread seems like such a fun group, I'm going to hop on!

This will be my FOURTH Whole 30--the first one was Jan 1 2013, then mid Feb, then in the early summer of last year. Whilst I've stayed true in the main over the past several months (well, ish), I'm fully aware that I'm now waaaay off the reservation (cue holiday music and winter laziness--for shame!). Time to get back in gear. I look forward to keeping up with everyone here!

I will be starting my W30 on Jan6 too.  I was thinking of a Jan2 start but the holiday celebrations will continue through the first weekend.  I will need time to clean out the kitchen and pantry! This will be my 2nd W30 - last one this past summer and I felt great.  Looking forward to getting back on track again.  This looks like a good group to follow along with. Cheers!

Archived