Whole 30 starting Jan 1

Run4fun

Still W30 but today was a bad day.  Kids were in a cooking school today for 2 hours and my wife decided to spring breakfast out on me at a new place that makes greasey spoon breakfasts and is also a (by the looks of it) very good bakery.  Every meal comes with a dessert and they use canola oil and potatoes/bread in everything...

I had 4 poached eggs and cut up apple but was fighting hunger all day.  Did not eat an non-W30 foods but did not stick to the protein, lots of veggies, healthy fat and some fruit/nuts model at all today.  I am off to bed before my lack of good judgement has me randomly reading ingredients in my pantry!

Feeling good but tired and today.  Poor planning!!!  Should know better!

Cheers

DJ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, everyone - I am around and holding strong.  I did a giant cookup the other day so am eating my standard chili and lots of soups and roasted starchy veggies.  Still not great on the green veggies.  And no exercise whatsoever.  Some day .....

I will post here if people keep posting.  I also peeked in on the Feb 1 posting - it seems like it's getting a good following:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16278-first-whole30-starts-tomorrow-2114-whos-with-me/

Hey All. I just posted in Semolina's new thread but will share here also. I haven't been posting since the end of January. I was happy with my results but had wanted to see more. Even though I stayed compliant for the w30 I feel like I wasted all that effort by crashing and burning during reintro. I mean, I crashed so bad I need jaws of life to keep me away from the boxes of pasta and other wheat items. Where's Kate? Hiding in the corner of the pantry shoving cookies in her mouth. Dont go near her without a tranquilizer gun. I should have stuck to posting because I know it helped me complete the w30 but I said, no, I've got this. Dairy went fine, soy too, then the dreaded glutens. I wasn't even sure I would reitro them and I figured, what the heck...might as well go through it to make sure I dont have any issues.

WHOA WHOA WHOA. Little Miss "I Dont Have A Sugar Dragon" has about 957 sitting on her back with their claws digging into her skin.

So apparently I've been a little too laissez-faire about my eating. My tummy is very unhappy with me. My skin has patches of fire engine red, dry, burning spots of itchiness. And no one wants to be in the same room with me. Embarrassing. Definitely need to go back to the drawing board. I didn't off road and recover. I drove my train straight off the bridge and into the ditch. Oy. Is there such thing as a Whole30 Half Way House? (;

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back on the wagon as of today, too.  I'm achy, the kids are hyper.  Reintro just doesn't work for us.

Day 1.

M1 Coffee with almond milk; asparagus/broccoli/bacon/bone broth soup.  Sweet potato hash with a fried egg on top.  Feels good to be back.

Yesterday I did a giant chop up of veggies from costco because I am working 8 nights in a row this week.  I'm working way too much right now, as my husband's job is not secure and he wants me to accept any work I am offered.  I work as an emergency veterinarian, and there are always places that need someone to moonlight so they can have some time off, so basically I am working 20 out of 30 nights per month.  Some places let me sleep in the on-call room, but other places are so busy that I am up all night and then get to care for my kindergarteners all day.  I do hope people show back up here, as I could use the support through this.

Hey everyone.  Well I did a W45 then I also crashed.  On the 15th of February, I went off plan and I had a really tough week of feeling horrible with the food I was eating and then right after complaining about my gut or my aches/pains, I went right back to "planning" what I could eat next.  I won't go into the list but it was a poor week and I don't even want to think about what I did to myself over the last week.  I am going to try a daily log process in the "Whole 30 Log" section of the forum.  I did this on my first W30 and found it very motivating and interesting. 

I will post here the link when I start it tomorrow.

I need structure and my whole family was talking about how much better our colletive life is when I am eating on plan.  When my 9 year old daughter can see it... It is pretty obvious.  She asked me why I stopped eating healthy and I could not give her a good answer!  Should be fun!

Cheers
DJ

Great!  Maybe we'll all start wandering back here.

Day 2.  Bulletproof coffee.  I did go back on coffee during my reintro but truthfully I have trouble concentrating when I drink coffee.  I will officially announce that I am off of coffee for another month.

M1 Sweet potatoes hash and fried eggs.  I  never tire of it.

M2. Greek salad - cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes with lemon juice.  I hate lettuce so greek salad is my go-to salad.

M3.  Left over paleo chicken pot pie (chicken, broccoli, carrots, broth).

Snack - green apple.

Exercise - T25 day 1.

Goodness I feel guilty. I loved the whole30 month so much - even when I wasn't loving it. I lost a measly 4lbs. but I just had a great feeling about what I was feeding my body and mind. I loved knowing everything in my closet was an option because it all fit so well.

I also love sharing a bottle of wine with girlfriends and my husband is Venezuelan so beans are part of our cultural table.

But, seriously, I need to get back to a plan. I need to carve a road that is based on Whole 30 principles but allows for occasional treats. I need to remember the operative word is occasional. I need a forum because it keeps me on pace so I will check out the log section. Thanks, DJ.

I was so pleasantly surprised to find a few of you back here with follow up comments. And, Katie, my sugar dragon has returned with vengeance in the form of chocolate chops.

Time for a re-correct. I just don't know where to go from here.

EAH

I seem to be doing one month whole30, then one month of almost whole30, then back to a real whole30.  Works for me.

I started the T25 workout program.  Really nice - 25 minute simple exercise program, less time than it takes for me to drive to the gym.  And I'm ridiculously sore today, considering how simple the program was.

drtracyb - I would agree that the program is simple but definately not easy.  I like T25 (I am finishing week 8).  Beta is different than alpha and pretty good also.

Nice to be back on track but work / life is very busy right now.  I am three days in but I have not been able to find the time to start a log in the forum.  I will continue on the path and post here when I can!

I have had a difficult decision this week.  A job posting was due that is exactly what I am looking for but it is in a city 3 hours away.  I would have to live there for the week and come home on weekends.  It is one of those great oportuinties for my career but with young kids, it would be pretty tough on my wife.  She supported me putting in my resume (and I did) but now the waiting starts!  I really like my job now but it really is time for a new challenge.

I was sitting down amazed at how much better 3 days of "healthy" eating can make you feel!

Cheers

DJ

My husband and I lived separately during the week last year so my kids could attend a special needs school.  In some ways it was nice because weeknight evenings are stressful and my husband ended up liking having the house to himself after a long day's working and commuting.  This year we put the family back together and he misses his down time.  Now I am the one considering a job on the weekends because it lets me get 32 hours of work in on only two overnight shifts, Fri and Sat, so I would have the whole week to watch kids and run the house rather than working four or five nights per week the way I am now.

With face time, the kids got to interact with their dad every night.  But, no, it's not the same.  The kids like having their dad around on the weeknights, and living in the same house does contribute to a stronger family group than we had when we were in separate houses during the week.

Things have been going well. Some interesting observations though. Both the braunschweiger (sp?) and kielbasa I get from Northstar Bison have honey and the kielbasa even had black barley flour in them.  Boo. So they went back in the freezer. But fortunately, my hot dogs are good to go. So that's a plus. I need to work more on cooking things like squash. I have some lovely butternut squash from our garden that I need to roast.

I'm the only one in the house doing the whole 30, but its okay. I'm used to eating differently from my husband and daughter.

Sleep wasn't good last night. My dog had to go out at 3:15.  I get up at 4 so I never went back to sleep. Oh well, you gotta go sometimes!

Lifted upper body weights this morning and will do sprints on my stationary bike tonight.

I know this thread is a couple of months old but.... I found some Braunschweiger at US Wellness Meats that seems to meet the Whole30 standards. http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=827 (fully cooked) and http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=980 (Raw Uncooked). I'm planning on getting a couple of pounds myself, as it's the only "liver" that I can tolerate. The only downside to US Wellness Meats is you have to order a minimum of 7 pounds and $75.00 to check out. I'm almost there with my order, and haven't even gotten my bacon or sausage yet (as it's out of stock).

Have a great day. :)
Patrick.

Edited three times before I figured out that I have to use the full editor, and paste as plain text to get my comments out of the quote. :S

• 1 month later...

I'm in! This is my first whole 30. I have been eating mostly paleo for about 3 weeks and have seen huge improvements in my IBS. I also have a form of Rheumatoid arthritis (Ankylosing Spondylitis) that I take Methotrexate for. I would LOVE to stop the medication! In addition I have both Graves and Hashimoto's diseases and my blood sugar is creeping up. I am an autoimmune mess and have more than enough reasons to commit to this for my health.  

I'm nervous because of the planning involved. I am a mom of 4 children and none of my family will be joining me on this. I also have 2 out of town hockey tournaments during this 30 days which mean  I have to pack for my family AND plan ALL my food for the weekend  (OMG) and I am starting a new job on Monday. All this makes me freak out just a bit. 

Denise

HI -- I also have Ankylosing spondylitis. I'm on day 20 of my second Whole 30. My stomach issues are under control whenever i stick to a paleo diet however my neck, spine and hip are still very painful. Am wondering if you got any relief? Also wondering if i need to remove eggs, nuts, seeds and nightshades for the joint pain to subside? 

• 3 weeks later...

How cool is it that folks are still posting here!

@jen -- took me a while to get some joint pain relief; hot yoga helped me as does bone broth, when I can remember to incorporate it.

Decided I will do an official Whole30 quarterly as a "course correction" plan.  Started one April 1st, but had 2 days where I chose to go off-plan due to really special family circumstances, otherwise stayed on-plan; next one schedule in July. 

Considering doing the next one within AIP guidelines to see if that helps with my stalled weight loss. 

Reading up & doing more targeting on gut health -- and how weird is this factoid:  incorporating home-made sauerkraut made significant fasting blood sugar improvements.  During this last Whole30, achieved low 80s for the first time since I was diagnosed 6+ years ago; I'm attributing it to the kraut because it started after my first batch of kraut was ready, about 2 weeks into the month.  It was the only change during that month and the drop was from low 100s to low 80s.  Gut health - who knew?

Hi all,  I did a Whole30 in April and it rocked.  Been offroading some this month but not as bad as I did in March.  Seems to be my pattern and am hoping I can keep better on track in June (pattern being the first month after is okay and then start really sliding). 

I had literally NO allergy symptoms in April and usually I'm eating Zyrtec for a few weeks.  I did not take a single one.  And I live in the worst city (literally it is named that every year) for Spring seasonal allergies!   Also, very little PMS which is nice.

I had a couple beers the Friday after my April Whole30 ended and I felt like total crap the next day.  I haven't had one since and totally not appetizing to me.  

djoyce~~good luck with the job decision.  I am going back to work full time in the Fall and I am worried about how I can keep my stress eating in check (and find time for yoga).  Let us know what you decide!

• 1 month later...

Hi - how's everyone?  I strayed a bit mid-spring and actually sadly put back all the weight I had lost in January but am right back on the wagon in July.  Kids are doing great Paleo, behaviors greatly controlled.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of my January people still around? 

I'm headed to Italy next week and when I get back am going to do another Whole30 since I know I'll be going WAY off the rails (intentionally and gleefully) while in Italy. We're staying at top notch places with top notch restaurants and biking 200+ miles and I'm so excited about falling face first into a plate of real homemade pasta. :) 

Anyhoo.... Just curiouse how everyone is doing? I've been about 80/20 since January. Not too bad, but definitely could be better!

Started 4th Whole30 July 1st - AIP this time! Staying strong - takes a bit of discipline but having prior experience helps. Day 18 in the bag. Very strange thing with my skin, though - it feels different. Softer, smoother, & I swear my "galvanic skin response" or some such thing is changed - things feel better somehow, like when I towel off. Sounds weird I know but I can't really describe it any better. It's good though!

• 10 months later...

Sarahl - Did the whole30 have a positive impact on your platelet levels? My blood counts have been ebbing and flowing over the last several months (platelets 29 at their lowest and 60 at their highest). I am on Day 9 of my Whole30 journey and hoping for some increasing levels!

Starting my first whole 30 January 1. Very excited! I eat well at meals but its the stuff in between that doesn't serve me well. So time to tidy up! I have ITP an autoimmune blood disorder where my body attacks my platelets. Keen to see if there is any difference to the platelets levels following the 30 days. :)

Archived