Distance running during Whole30

Carmohr

I started my Whole30 today. On Wednesday, 1/1, I'm registered for a 14-mile race (to ring in 2014!). During each of the marathons and half-marathons I've done, I've always fueled with gels, so this will be new for me. I'm planning to fuel with a Whole30-compliant Larabar during the race. I'll eat breakfast as usual beforehand, but I'll need to fuel during it. So, my plan is water (no Gatorade at the stations) and a Larabar. If any other runners have suggestions on Whole30-compliant race fuel, I would welcome them...

I may also start marathon training during my Whole30, but the mileage won't be too high during it. Still, I wonder if I will need to figure out some Whole30-compliant snacks to eat beforehand to get me through to meals...

This isn't my main reason for doing it, but I do hope to see running or perhaps recovery benefits from eating well very consistently as a result of the Whole30!

Caryn

• Moderators

When I ran seriously in the 90s, I found bananas to be my favorite running food. I could stuff two in a fanny pack and eat them a bite at a time while running. That was kind of before gels and the only bar that was available made me sick to my stomach when I ate it, so I defaulted to bananas. Set a PR in the first marathon I ran with a banana!

Thank you! I feel good about fueling strategy now, but not so good about the weather at this point: projected temp at race start is currently -22! I think I'm going to have to watch that closely and make a decision...hopefully the forecast will improve. I want to ring in the new year with one of my favorite races! If I'm (hopefully) able to run it weather-wise, I'll post about how the fueling works out for me. Thank you!

Hi Caryn!

I've run three half marathons in the past year+ (first one was eating a conventional wisdom diet of low-fat and lots of whole grains; second and third were eating low-carb paleo).

My favorite on-the-go fuel are pitted deglet noor dates.  I don't really use them for training runs, just during races for an extra boost.  I start eating them around mile 5 or 6, then eat a couple every 2ish miles).  I take along my fuel belt with a mix of water, juice from 1 lemon or lime, and some sea salt to help replenish.  I've completely sworn off Gatorade, Gu, Hammer Gel, etc.

Best wishes with your running!

Those are great suggestions, thank you! I'm eager to try the water, lemon/lime juice, sea salt mix in my fuel belt during trianing runs. I've had issues with stomach rot/nausea in marathons caused by too much sugar, alternating Gatorade and water/Gu at aid stations. I think for Wednesday's race I'll probably just drink water from the aid stations because it will be hard to carry liquids with the temperature that morning, but I'm signing up for a marathon and will start training soon and trying that out in my fuel belt on training runs - great idea!! Thank you!!

It now says -9 at race start time, getting up to 16 that day - hope the forecast keeps improving!

Hey Caryn...I am also a marathoner. Planning on starting training in late January for a Spring marathon...currenly I am on Day 4 of W30. I remember my base runs when I first (3 years ago) switched over to Paleo...uuuuh who put lead in my legs? BUT once that passed I was zooming & off to my best times in YEARS!! My fuel has always been GU for races and long training runs like 16-20 milers.

What I tried was a combo of green tea (home brewed), plain water, a pinch of sea salt, and a splash of whole pomegranate juice as my "water". I like the idea of the banana (main fuel)...of course you may have to cut it up and squeeze a little lime juice (and a bit of sea salt) in case the banana literally freezes!! oh my that would be just too funny...trying to eat a frozen banana still in the peal!! I remember how my GU would freeze...and I'm only in New Jersey...worse was my frozen fingers trying to open the GU (I have Raynaud's syndrome)    

My final thought if you are having just water on Wednesday put a little sea salt in a bit of foil...dab your finger in the salt when you drink the water. Not too much...but enough. Headache is a good indication your sodium is getting a little low...(I also have Meniere's Disease) I have experenced the deleterious effects of hyponatremia!! not fun!  

What a great way to bring in the New Year!!! yay!!

Best of luck...hope the weather and the fuel cooperate :D

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of these great ideas! That's a great idea on the salt for Wednesday, and also with cutting up the banana - I'll make my own banana version of Clif blocks! :)  They are all great ideas I'll draw on...

We may be on a similar Whole30/marathon-training calendar if I sign up for a spring marathon, too.

I appreciate knowing to possibly expect some heavy legs, etc., at first with switching diets. I'm encouraged by how it ultimately helped your times. I've always felt that although it wasn't terrible, diet has been my downfall in training. I'm very diligent about the training itself, but do not feel I've had optimal nutrition working for me. I've also had my fair share of injury. I would sure love to see some running-related benefits from improved diet...

Thank you so much for all of the ideas!

Caryn

I did my first w30 this past fall, while training for a century ride and half marathon.  I made a really yummy Gatorade replacement out of apple juice, baby food sweet potatoes and a bit of salt.  Apple juice is super high in potassium, one of the main electrolytes you need.  It's deLISH!!!  Even without the sweet potatoes, diluted, its a good idea - carbs and electrolytes.   I also tend to make my own larabar type thingies, adding in "lite salt" which has potassium.  

I restarted W30 yesterday (12/29) and I'm training for a marathon in April.  The salted apple juice is also good to avoid my water bottles freezing, since it's so frigid here!

Oh you will most definitely see improvement in your running...when you get a chance check out the book Paleo for Athletes by Loren Cordain. 

I'm not sure if this will work or not...BUT I am bringing in the New Year with my 7 year old grandaughter...(I am so excited!!!) So I looked up some fun paleo recipes we can cook together and I cam across a recipe for Plantain Tortilla Chips on the W30 website.. it will take a little prep work...BUT it seems like a great "light weight" fuel. Pretty simple ingredients...3 green plantains, 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (refined) 1/2 tsp sea salt and Coarse Sea Salt. I bet they are pretty easy to eat "on the run" so to speak. Just be careful you don't eat too much potassium...although with your activity level...you should be fine. Best of luck. If you can not find it on W30...let me know I can send the link.

I thought about you during my run this morning...it is very mild here in New Jersey. I can not imaging running in -22...and I'm sure it is windy too. I have been to the Twin Cities for a conference...you guys have a marathon there too...have you run it?...how was it??

Best of luck!!! :)

Carolyn

I think all the above responses are fabulous! I took the easy way out and just brought apple sauce in those little gu like packages-compliant, and a bit of organic apple juice diluted as the "water" for my races-also a compliant larabar during the longer triathlons and id better than usual. I tend to get really bloated prior to this change and I was really pleasantly surprised. Good luck!!! Those temps separate the men from the boys for sure!!!

I appreciate these ideas so much! They are wonderful, and give me a lot to practice with on training runs if I end up signing up for a spring marathon, too. Thank you!!!

Carolyn - Yes, we have the Twin Cities Marathon, which is a beautiful urban marathon through Minneapolis and St. Paul in the fall when the leaves are turning. It's wonderful - it was the first marathon I ran and I definitely want to run it again.

Projected race start temp is now -2...moving in the right direction at least! :)

Thank you so much for the great and practical ideas - this gives a lot to work with!!!

Caryn

yay!!! the weather is cooperating for you!!! (still sorta cold for this Jersey girl...lol) Have a great race...TC marathon sounds really nice...I bet you run along the water too. I'll check it out on marathonguide.com 

Happy NEW Year!!!

Carolyn

Thank you! You, too! I will check out the book you mentioned, too!!

Hopefully tomorrow will go well - I think I am more prepared on the nutrition front than on the training front - it's not been exactly optimal running weather around here lately. :blink: I'm excited, though. I love this race and New Year's tradition!

Caryn

I also wanted to add that I had some rough goings when I first went to paleo, so keep this in mind.  My quads felt were made of lead.  But after about two weeks that all faded, and my running improved drastically.  Part of it is probably the 'beginner's curve' but I still think that proper nutrition can do amazing things.  Between 8/2012 and 11/2013, my half marathon time improved by 31 minutes.  In a couple of weeks, I start training for my first marathon (in May).  I'm excited to see what I can do.

I did the race! It was cold, but great! I ended up having a pre-opened Lemon Larabar in each pocket, which I could squeeze out of the package as I ate it with my mittened fingers. I took water at the water stops. I had salty eggs and sweet potato fries for breakfast beforehand. It went really well!

And now I am all set with fueling ideas and strategies for spring marathon training thanks to you all!! I will be trying out these various suggestions on long runs over the coming months. Thank you so much for the wealth of ideas!

Caryn

Archived