whole30 while trying to get pregnant/early pregnancy

• 3 weeks later...

We were trying to conceive for 4 months, did the Whole 30 in January and got pregnant that month! I finished the 30 days, but have had a very hard time staying strict while dealing with the nausea & food aversions - I just entered my 2nd trimester and am planning another Whole 30 during it to get back on track!

• 1 month later...

Since I was twenty years old doctors were telling me that it would be really difficult to conceive, due to the fact that my uterus and ovaries had an anomalous surfarce. In October 2010 I went to fantastic doctor who found out that the "anomalous surface" was accumulated starch. His prescription was a diet similar to whole30. Two months later I got pregnant!!! On the first trimester I was so nauseus I could only eat potatoes, but after the 18th week things got better, so I went back to my clean eating. Unfortunately, I completely blew it after giving birth

• 2 weeks later...

I found out I was pregnant less than a week after starting the Whole30... so far my nausea hasn't been as pronounced as with my previous pregnancy and I've been able to eat on-plan without difficulty. However, I'm barely 5 weeks along - but then again, by this time last time I was unable to open cans of cat food without gagging...

• 3 weeks later...

We had been trying to get pregnant for almost 8 months with no success. I started the Whole30 at the beginning of a cycle, and got pregnant same cycle. Coincidence? I don't think so, but who knows. It was a very stressful month, and due to that I ovulated weeks late so was convinced there was no chance, but I'm now 7 months along.

As for nausea, I have no tips aside from ginger tea and eating frequent small meals.

• 4 months later...

For the nausea I have found that water with a splash of unsweetened cranberry juice or a good dose of lemon juice really helps. The sourness seems to make the nausea less overpowering. Everyone is different, of course, but that works well for me. Peppermint tea also seems to be good when the sour doesn't work.

I'm just five weeks so no symptoms yet (knock on wood)

I have a plan of action though, should the need arise.

I have peppermint and ginger essential oils that are suitable for internal use.

Both oils can be diluted with a carrier oil and rubbed on the stomach OR a couple drops mixed with a glass of water.

Also, my favorite blog, wellnessmama.com highly recommends maximizing your magnesium intake.

http://wellnessmama.com/6065/how-i-avoided-morning-sickness/

• 4 months later...

When it comes to morning sickness, I think the key is no matter how little appetite you have (mine was completely gone!) you need to eat something, anything you can stand, or you'll just feel worse and worse. I think Whole30 would've been impossible for me in the first trimester! I could only stand potatoes...definitely no protein! Personally I would wait a few weeks into pregnancy before starting a Whole30 to see how your appetite is...that being said I did eat paleo throughout my pregnancy once I got through the morning sickness but in the beginning I couldn't even look at an egg...fish...vegetables...almost anything besides potatoes and the occasional sweet (which I didn't enjoy but it was at least palatable)

I have endometriosis and was told a couple years ago that I would have less than a 5% chance of ever getting pregnant on my own. My husband and I did one round of IVF and got pregnant and now have a son. I started changing my diet this Jan (as I was so tired of carrying the extra baby weight around) by eliminating grains, and then progressed to do a whole30 in March which I failed on day 12. So I got my husband on board to do one with me starting in April. We successfully completed it and both were feeling better. I had lost about 14 lbs (finally) of my baby weight around my waist. A week before we finished the Whole30, I found out that I was indeed pregnant. We knew I was ovulating and thought what the heck and never in a million years thought it would take. We are now such firm believers in clean eating the amazing benefits in reducing inflammation. We are both shocked and thrilled!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a plan of action though, should the need arise.

I have peppermint and ginger essential oils that are suitable for internal use.

Both oils can be diluted with a carrier oil and rubbed on the stomach OR a couple drops mixed with a glass of water.

I strongly advise you to avoid using those oils while pregnant. Both peppermint and ginger essential oils are contraindicated for use during pregnancy. They can cause miscarriage. Peppermint is related to pennyroyal, which will cause abortions. I found a link for oils not to use during pregnancy.

Bummer because I love peppermint and use it daily. I think peppermint or ginger tea is probably ok. In aromatherapy school we were advised that the only oils safe for pregnancy are lavender, and maybe some orange to help you sleep.

Archived