Chipotle?

LBrwk86

Started reading through this thread thinking woo-hoo! I can eat at Chipotle! Then I saw that there was some doubts, and my heart sank...but then I kept reading and finally made it over to the actual website ingredients. Woo-hoo! I can eat at Chipotle!

Except I won't, at least not today, because of this:

I try to limit my meals out and save up for the dank grass-fed meats.

I haven't bought or eaten beef in a long time because of how expensive it's gotten but I ate some recently and my body's response to it was about as close to orgasmic as I get with food. Now I'm wondering: How much grass-fed beef could I buy with that one Chipotle carnitas salad? :)

Thanks for the info, though....it's good to know there's an option there.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so happy this thread exists!! chipotle is my go-to "fast meal" when I am meeting a friend for dinner or when I am in a pinch. My standard order is: carnitas, lettuce, pico salsa (mild), medium Salsa (the green one), guacamole and extra lettuce on top. I checked the ingredients online and its the best we can do!!

First time out to eat anywhere on day 15. During dinner rush to grab salad to bring to dgt's 4 hour hockey game. No lettuce prepared, would I mind chopped that they put on top, no problem. Order carnitas, sorry it's been recalled. I am ticked no note on the door or menu board. I was so looking forward to having that but I was strong. I left empty handed went to the game had water and ate at home super late

First time out to eat anywhere on day 15. During dinner rush to grab salad to bring to dgt's 4 hour hockey game. No lettuce prepared, would I mind chopped that they put on top, no problem. Order carnitas, sorry it's been recalled. I am ticked no note on the door or menu board. I was so looking forward to having that but I was strong. I left empty handed went to the game had water and ate at home super late

That stinks!  Good for you for staying strong!

• 1 month later...

Chipotle is one of my go-to emergency food stops. I get the carnitas salad (no dressing) with green sauce, pico, a little red sauce, guac, and raw veggies. Yes, the veggies are cooked in soybean or rice bran oil, BUT they will give you raw veggies if you ask for them! Don't be afraid to ask questions. We have successfully eaten at In-N-Out, Chipotle, and Texas Roadhouse and have gotten delicious, and compliant, meals.

• 10 months later...

I did some digging on this REALLY OLD topic today (those of you getting a ping, please don't hate).  I'm jumping to a conclusion here, but think that Chipotle has stopped using Soybean Oil in the way that previous posts have described in this thread.  In posts dating back to 2012 and 2013 other members have mentioned that Soybean Oil was used to cook all meats except the carnitas.  Today (Jan 7, 2016), Chipotle's ingredient list website shows that all meats are cooked with Rice Bran Oil, and NOTHING is listed as using or being cooked in Soybean Oil - not even things other than meats - "Soybean Oil" and "Soy Oil" don't even appear on the entire page!  The only mention of soy at all is in the Sofritas, a soy-based meat-substitute (it's kind of required that it contains soy!).  

SO!  My conclusion-jumping was to assume that they have replaced Soybean Oil with Rice Bran Oil.  And since Soy is a known allergen to many, it would make sense for them to make this move, as they are a conscientious business.  

The Chipotle website does still make some blanket statements about cross-contamination always being possible, and that there are no guarantees that a particular ingredient doesn't end up where it's not supposed to.  (Hello life, where there are approximately zero-point-zero guarantees!)  If you are an ultra-pure-purist, then you might decide that Chipotle is 100% out for you because the Rice Bran Oil or Soy from other foods, could just maybe end up in your meal.  The blanket statement also points out that this could happen in the field, or in processing the food before it gets to Chipotle.  So, the old adage: YMM.

Looking back at the ingredients list and allergen statements, we see that the Carnitas is cooked with Sunflower Oil only, and all other meats are cooked with Rice Bran Oil.  Rice Bran Oil is NOT Whole30 compliant.  Sunflower Oil is something Whole30ers should avoid when possible, but is almost unavoidable in the dining-out world.  So all meats, except for Carnitas, are still ruled out.  Boo.  But Carnitas are daggum yummy in my book, so I'll take it as a win - after all this still means (to this guy) that Chipotle CAN BE Whole30-compliant, when done right.

But what else can we have?  Fortunately that list is shorter than what we can't have.  Well, I say "fortunately" because that means it keeps things simple, and I'm a fan of simplicity.

Based on the ingredient lists and allergen statements, I believe the following to be Whole30-compliant.  BUT I AM NOT A WHOLE30 EXPERT </legalDisclaimer>.

• Carnitas
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Tomatillo-Red Chili Salsa
  • Tomatillo-Green Chili Salsa
  • Tomato Salsa
  • Guacamole

It is worth pointing out, specifically, sadly, that the Fajita Vegetables are NOT Whole30 compliant because they are cooked in Rice Bran Oil.   :angry:

But, as a previous poster pointed out, we can try asking for RAW veggies!  WHOOHOO!  Maybe if enough of us ask Chipotle's Corporate Machine to try using the Sunflower Oil on the veggies, instead, perhaps they will.  Perhaps they will.  

~~~~Sources Pulled Jan-07-2016

Chipotle Ingredient Lists

https://chipotle.com/ingredient-statement

Chipotle Allergen Statement

https://chipotle.com/allergens

See section “Limit Vegetable Oils"

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

• 3 weeks later...

i ate compliant chipotle tonight. i had it once on day...8 or 9? it's now day 21, and i ordered compliant ingredients: carnitas, salsa (red and pico), lettuce, guac. and i got a HORRIBLE stomachache. anyone have ideas on what it could've been, or what might be the most likely contaminant assuming something went wrong here?

i ate compliant chipotle tonight. i had it once on day...8 or 9? it's now day 21, and i ordered compliant ingredients: carnitas, salsa (red and pico), lettuce, guac. and i got a HORRIBLE stomachache. anyone have ideas on what it could've been, or what might be the most likely contaminant assuming something went wrong here?

I wouldn't trust the cleanliness of any Chipotle right now, given all the press they've had lately. You might want to call the location where you ate and report your illness to management.

Thank you OMalley576!  I really appreciate your updated information.  My husband and I are getting ready to start our first Whole30.  I have been reading, reading and reading some more and trying to get a good plan in place for us.  We are somewhat overwhelmed right now trying to get it all figured out.....what we can not have mainly.  My husband travels with his job Monday thru Friday and eats lunch out everyday right now.  Although he has said he will take his lunch and find a parking lot somewhere to sit and eat we both know there will be days he will need to eat lunch out with a client so he has asked me to come up with a few options of places and food choices.  I am finding this to be very much of a challenge.  I don't want him to become discouraged and fail.  I am researching and trying to find a few doable options for him, but that is a task that is much harder than I had anticipated.  So, thanks again for the information that you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

For those disappointed you can't have the fajita veggies, you CAN ask for them UNCOOKED and avoid the noncompliant oil. I did this the other day and they happily obliged. It may be different than what you're used to but I prefer the crunchiness of the raw peppers and onions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Salsassin said:

Arghhhh!!,  I had read the carnitas were compliant so I ate them, only to find out they have rice bran oil and I'm already 2 1/2 weeks in. Does this mean I have to restart?

If it were me, yes I'd be starting over. I'm old school & a stickler for rules, and your gut can't distinguish between an accidental slip up or an intentional one, so your re-set has been re-set regardless.

Ultimately though, you get to decide.

Have a read at >this article< and let us know your thoughts.....

1 hour ago, Salsassin said:

Arghhhh!!,  I had read the carnitas were compliant so I ate them, only to find out they have rice bran oil and I'm already 2 1/2 weeks in. Does this mean I have to restart?

I just googled their website which said sunflower oil not rice bran oil. Rice bran oil is in all their other meats though IRC

• 5 months later...

FYI, according to the Chipotle Ingredient Statement, it seems like Chorizo is now compliant, in addition to the Carnitas (and the salsas, guac and lettuce, of course)! I double-checked with my local Chipotle, and they don't use Rice Bran Oil to cook them, either. (She actually said Barbacoa was good, too, which is contrary to the website. I'll skip it just to be safe...)

Sadly, they're still using Rice Bran Oil in the veggies. Ugh . I've never asked for raw veggies (like some folks on here have suggested), but I'll definitely try it next time I'm in. 

CHORIZO
White Meat Chicken Responsibly-Raised Meats, Pork Responsibly-Raised Meats, Pork Skins Responsibly-Raised Meats, Seasoning (Paprika, Hungarian Paprika, Smoked Paprika, mild red pepper, dried Oregano, Chipotle Chili pepper, Black Pepper, Salt), Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic, Cumin
CARNITAS
Pork Responsibly-Raised Meats, Bay Leaf, Salt, Black Pepper, Thyme, Juniper Berries, Sunflower Oil

Your local Chipotle may not use rice bran oil for their chorizo, but it's not a given for all the different locations. They also may have not used rice bran oil today, but could tomorrow...

Anything that goes on that grill is going to have rice bran oil in it because the grill is just sprayed down with it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, alexandra222 said:

I know this original post is pretty old, but it looks like they're no longer using soybean oil for meat! :)

https://www.chipotle.com/allergens

They used to use Rice Bran Oil... you'd want to check and see if they still do... it's not technically an allergen so it looks like it's not listed as to whether or not they do... 

UPDATE:  Yes, they still use Rice Bran Oil in every meat except the carnitas

https://www.chipotle.com/ingredient-statement

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
55 minutes ago, superm1 said:

I just looked at the ingredient statement and don't see rice bran oil in their chorizo.  There is NO oil.

It looks like this is indeed compliant but each person should ask at each restaurant to have personal accountability.

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2013 at 9:15 AM, elle_croft said:

I live in the UK where we don't have Chipotle. We do have other Mexican chain restaurants though and today (day 5) I went for a naked burrito for lunch - I checked the descriptions on their site beforehand and everything sounded clean and fresh - so I had peppers & onions, chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole and lettuce with a squeeze of lime. I ate it and felt awful - a headache and my stomach was so unsettled. No idea what hidden nasty was in there but I know not to go back. Sad. I loved their burritos.

The peppers and onions are cooked in soybean oil, so maybe it was that.  

Archived