Inexpensive good sources of protein

abur0418

I know from looking at my log I don't eat enough protein. However I am committed to buying grass fed beef and at least antibiotic free chicken and pork. I got a half of a beef and I don't want to go through it too fast. Any ideas for cheaper and clean protein? Some of my go tos aren't allowed like applegate farms meat. I would do eggs but they are also expensive and I'm worried about eating too many eggs in one day(should I be?)

I do use wild planet sardines.....any other ideas!

Eggs are likely to be your cheapest protein source.

Other thoughts: canned tuna, canned salmon. Some folks do Applegate Farms hot dogs in a pinch. I think Applegate Farms roast beef is compliant, but double-check the ingredients to confirm.

We get pastured eggs from the farmer for $6 a dozen--that's 50 cents an egg.  I eat 2 eggs most days.  

Liver, tongue, heart are all going to be super cheap, especially if you get them direct from the farmer.  I can get them for $2 to $3 a pound.  Sometimes less.  

I do keep Applegate hot dogs and roast beef on hand.  The turkey bologna is also compliant. But I find that gets expensive.

(And, no, you don't have to worry about eating too many eggs.  I eat three at once, with 12 in a carton for about $6.  That's not a terrible price.  I often have eggs with some sort of grassfed or pastured, seasoned, ground meat in order to stretch the meat.)

• 1 year later...

I am scared that you can start glowing in the dark because of canned tuna and salmon ;D I am from Lithuania and we don't have many options buying salmon :D It is expensive and i think - worthless. But I search for the cheap protein on the internet and usually try to test different producers. Don't know if price determines the quality of the proteins... But sometimes i found quite cheap protein, for example £43.99 for 5 lbs. Here it is http://www.qualitysportssupplements.co.uk/116-proteinbut i read in forums that you can buy even cheaper, so i am overpaying. And eggs also.... i think not so good in numbers...

Archived