Week 12 to Week 16 Pregnant Whole 30

So, this isn't my first rodeo with the Whole 30 but it WILL BE my first successful Whole 30. For whatever reason I've never made it through the 30 days but with this little one growing inside of me I'm more motivated than ever.  

I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and my whole 30 started yesterday so my end date is February 16th--yep, Whole 30 through Valentine's Day.  But my start day is of no consequence because I don't want there to be an "end date" to look forward to. I want to continue eating as close to the W30 rules as possible AT LEAST until I deliver my little one. 

I will be following the vegetarian guidelines with the occasional piece of fish for the health benefits during pregnancy. This will amount to 12 ounces each week--so, not enough to allow me to effectively or healthily follow the omnivore plan. 

Basically, my guidelines will be as follows: 

• Greek yogurt, no more than 1 cup per day
  • Occasional edamame to increase my protein intake (but I'll try not to consume it more than 2-3x a week) 
  • Lots and LOTS of eggs as this is basically my primary protein source
  • Olives
  • Almonds (on occasion) 
  • Coconut Flakes
  • Nutritional Yeast
  • Lots of veggies
  • Sweet potatoes 
  • Oranges
  • Apples 
  • Coconut oil for cooking
  • Seltzer (I struggle to drink normal water) 

Any advice would be welcomed. I do have many food aversions right now and often times things that I usually find delicious are just NOT and that can make meal-time difficult. 

Also, if I screw up I am just going to consider it an isolated event and move on--I think that's been my problem in the past, a little slip up makes me feel like "well, I screwed up already. I failed at this so there's no point in trying to recover." Nope, not this time. I am going to be a little more gentle and lax I suppose because I am pregnant and I realize that unless I plan perfectly under all circumstances I might find myself eating something non-compliant and that's okay because the health of my growing baby is my primary concern. I would be fooling myself if I thought that I'd be PERFECT for these 30 days. I'm not looking for perfect, just better than I'm doing now. I know not many people will agree with that philosophy but I figure if I can be 90% compliant I am doing a whole hose of good for myself and my baby--much better than if I were say 50% compliant which is probably how I currently eat (lots of legumes, oats, whole grains, cheese, etc). 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Than you! I was able to eat more seafood so I'd have salmon every day when I did it before. Now I can't do that so I have to do the vegetarian plan instead. I'm a bit disappointed about it and I'm going to TRY to ease myself out of relying on non-compliant (though vegetarian compliant) things. I'm just not sure how I could get 70-100 grams of protein with only eating eggs as a protein source. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Than you! I was able to eat more seafood so I'd have salmon every day when I did it before. Now I can't do that so I have to do the vegetarian plan instead. I'm a bit disappointed about it and I'm going to TRY to ease myself out of relying on non-compliant (though vegetarian compliant) things. I'm just not sure how I could get 70-100 grams of protein with only eating eggs as a protein source. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Are the other vegetarian protein sources listed in the shopping list options for you?  Maybe try posting in the Whole30 for Vegetarians forum to get creative, yet compliant, ideas.

I've basically eaten eggs and vegetables for every meal for the past 3 days. I had one meal of chickpeas (maybe 1/4 cup total cooked) with spinach, a couple sweet potatoes with sunflower seed butter and I've eaten 2 oranges but that's about it in terms of WHAT I've eaten. 

Today's breakfast was 3 eggs, fried in coconut oil with sautéed kale. 

Snack (if I eat it) is an orange

Lunch...same as breakfast

Dinner...4 oz salmon and vegetables (I ran out of sweet potatoes) 

Workout: cardio and pilates

Yesterday, I had a total of 3 oranges and 8oz of salmon (not 4oz). I also had nori sheets as a "snack" and it was for purposes of "snacking" so I felt a little bit bad but figured it was better than diving head first into something off limits. 

Now this morning I woke up hungry (at ~2am or so) and I had nothing prepared for moments like this. Sadly, I failed at staying on track in this moment. I had a protein bar with more non-compliant ingredients than I can count. I'm just moving on and putting it behind me. I'm going to boil some eggs before bed tonight so that this doesn't happen again. 

Definitely, this is not a reason to forego my resolve and continue eating this way. I feel like rubbish so it wasn't even worth it. My stomach has been aching for about 6 hours and all I had was a whole wheat wrap. How could my body get this bloated from a whopping 2oz of food? Clearly, cutting these foods out are going to have huge benefits for me. 

So, I've decided that I'm NOT going to follow the vegetarian list. I'm going to eat eggs, eggs, and more eggs (cooked in coconut oil), salmon (a few times a week), veggies (green beans, carrots, turnips, cauliflower, and zucchini), sweet potatoes (roasted in coconut oil), fruit (oranges, apples, unsweetened frozen berries and occasionally dates in homemade larabars), nutritional yeast, nori sheets, and nuts (almonds and pistachios --I don't care for most other nuts). 

I can't think of any other foods that are allowed that I like/can eat while pregnant and MOSTLY vegetarian. Hopefully, this will be enough variety that I can adhere to the program for the entire 30 days. No, I WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THE NEXT 30 DAYS. Period. That's it. No excuses. And I plan to stick to compliant foods for as long as possible but perhaps allowing for SWYPO foods after the 30 days are up. 

I'm interested in following your journey as I hope to be pregnant soon and plan to eat mostly W30-ish. Congratulations!

I'm assuming that you were doing the vegetarian list (mostly) because you are a vegetarian?

Anything you want to add about how you are feeling; how appealing food is… all that would be very appreciated! 

Again, congratulations!

Emily! Hi! Well, today would be day 7 if I didn't eat that wrap but given that I did....I am now on Day 1; however, I still feel different than before I started.

First things first...and this is a BIG ONE! Usually, I am STARVING all day...I can eat at any time because I'm never truly satisfied. Today, I ate a rather small lunch because I wasn't hungry but I had class until 3 so I ate at 12:30 and then I was still fine so just before 4 I left to workout and got home around 5:30 or so. I couldn't believe I made it till 6 with NO SNACKS and a small lunch. That is amazing to me. 

I feel good. Food, in general, is just not AS APPEALING since getting pregnant. I mean cereal sounds amazing at all times but some of my favorite foods are just not sounding good. also, when something is good it's GREAT...and usually it's GREAT for like a week or two and then i don't want it AT ALL. 

Yesterday was a good day. I wasn't very hungry but still managed to eat enough as I know it's necessary. I often wake during the night and stay awake long enough to want to eat something so last night I had a mini apple, a hard boiled egg, and a couple raw carrots. I'm happy with my choice! 

Yesterday I was really hungry and I felt like I overate (I hate that feeling). I do log my food intake for several reasons... 1) my protein consumption is pretty restricted and I need to ensure that I'm getting enough 2) I also track calcium because it's an important mineral during pregnancy and 3) calories impact weight gain and I would like to have as much information as possible in order to keep my pregnancy weight gain on track. 

So, yesterday...I ate ~600 calories more than I usually do but I was hungry and I ate. I woke up this morning less hungry than usual but it's now 9:25 and I am STARVING...so, I guess I didn't overeat yesterday but instead I fueled my body. That actually makes me happy. If I wasn't hungry today until lunch then I would say that I probably did overeat but that's not the case. 

Anyway...just trying to get through the days. I know it will get easier as I get used to it. 

Please don't track your calories. If you are doing this you are not really doing a Whole30. Trust the template and your bodies signals and you will get enough protein and calories to give yourself a healthy pregnancy. If you are worried about calcium than bulk up on the calcium rich w30 approved foods: http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

I'm glad you ate when you were hungry yesterday. That is what you should do. Trust it for 30 days and then if you still feel like you need to go back to calorie counting go for it. It is just 30 days.

Edited to add one more link: http://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

Alright...I'm ready. Although ISWF doesn't explicitly state that tracking your calories is forbidden I'm going to do this. It's only 30 days and could be the beginning of the end of what has been somewhat a food-prison for the past 7 or so years. I guess I just don't trust completely myself with food and I'm afraid of relinquishing control--of giving my body the go-ahead to tell me when it's okay to eat. Sounds foolish I know BUT I realize that this is a toxic behavior and disposing of it now, before my little one is born, is the best thing I could possibly do....along with adopting the healthiest diet that I could possibly follow. 

I'm now 14 weeks--it's day 1 of the 2nd trimester and day 1 of the beginning of something great. No slip-ups, no self-pity, and no excuses. I can make delicious, healthy, and compliant food each and every day. 

Thanks for the advice along the way and I apologize for not being as receptive as I should have been...I guess maybe I wasn't as READY as I thought I was. 

I can say with confidence that now I am. I WILL COMPLETE MY WHOLE 30 THIS TIME AROUND. I WILL! This is a promise I'm making to myself and the little one growing inside of me. 

Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, compliant chicken sausage with sautéed mushrooms and spinach + more coconut oil. Water. I've had 2 20oz camelbak bottles so far. I'm going to drink another bottle of water while writing a paper (fun times, right?). 

Lunch: chicken aloo gobi (homemade/compliant) with sautéed kale (coconut milk and coconut oil in meal) 

Dinner: not sure yet but I'm thinking roasted green beans with some sort of protein--likely 3 fried eggs since I love eggs (coconut oil added for fat) 

AM exercise: 30 minutes pilates

Afternoon exercise: 5 mile jog (before lunch) 

I need to pick up some olives...I don't like avocados or mayo (I'm a strange person I know...very strange person). I can't think of anything else that I can eat as a fat source. I cook Indian dishes with coconut milk but I don't eat Indian food for every meal. I really truly wish I liked avocados because those seem to be a huge go-to for people--that and mayo but I just can't bring myself to eat it (or mustard for that matter...not that mustard is a fat source or anything). i guess I'm not huge on condiments. 

I look forward to seeing your progress! I understand completely the fear of giving up the calorie control...I was there myself.

As for fat sources, you have tried making your own mayo and still don't like it? I'm not a huge avocado fan myself. You can add ghee to your cooked vegetables. What about making creamy soups with coconut milk? I don't like Indian food and still find lots of ways to use coconut milk myself. 

Creamy soups. I like. Definitely going to do that. I haven't tried homemade mayo...I've only ever tried the conventional stuff. Maybe I could make a mayo based dressing to introduce it and see how that works. I'm utterly grossed out by mayo but I could try it that way. I was thinking sunshine sauce as well. Also avo based dressing since with avo it's a texture thing I think. My husband says they taste like pistachios and I love pistachios. So maybe I would like avo dressing.

Archived