Starting Whole 30 on August 1 while 37 weeks pregnant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing well here. We're having company come in for a week so I'm trying to menu plan and cook things that we will all enjoy. This is probably terribly selfish of me but it is expensive to eat primarily meat and veggies so I'm trying to come up with meals that allow me to add rice on the side.

Also, I went to a dessert potluck event recently and brought Healthbent's coconut-banana "ice cream." It was a big hit. Just frozen bananas and coconut milk, with some vanilla thrown in. My kids enjoyed it as much as regular ice cream. One more success... I cooked zucchini noodles for the first time and even my husband enjoyed them.

goosehollow, I do that too when we're having non-paleo company! Depending on what the meal is, it's just too expensive.

I have a special meal this week and will make the Sweet Potato Apple Pie, it's always a hit! And I love the Zucchini Comfort Noodles from theclothesmakethegirl...this baby might be partly made of them!

I'm suddenly having sugar cravings, especially first thing in the morning. I want to add sugar to my coffee...which I don't even do when I'm not Whole30! Any thought??

Thanks for the advice. Lets hope the sugar craving are a sign of labour! Feeling really good. Very tired now but, as I said to my mate, it's a good tired...like my body is saying "rest up, big work ahead" not "OMG, I feel so overwhelmed/exhausted/hopeless..."

The last few days have been hard. My husband is sick with a sinus infection and is pretty much out of action and my mum in law is sick too (she lives with us). Luckily my mum came down to help out with my 3 year old and will be back in a few days.

Gonna go roast some eggplant with oregano and salt...I really want popcorn but it's not gonna happen.

How's everyone else going??

I'm doing well here. I made it through a week of company and a 10 hour roadtrip! My family had a big pizza night and I brought a Costco Rotisserie Chicken and stir-fried veggies. I call that success.

An 8-year old requested I make his favorite mashed potatoes and I did so with heavy whipping cream and butter. Not really Whole30 but since I know I tolerate both well I was okay eating a small portion and don't consider it a setback, How about the rest of you?

Still doing really well over here! I did have a craving for some chocolate a few days ago and was eye-balling it at the grocery store, but was able to pass it up. I also found some raw pastured cheese at our farmer's market that I'm dying to try a sample of but am waiting until after the Whole30.

I'm thankful we didn't have to cut much out for the Whole30 because I'm sure that's a huge part of why it's gone so smooth for us.

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to introduce myself on this thread.

I'm an ex-pat Canadian living in a UK territory and currently 19 weeks pregnant with our second child. Our son is almost three.

Today is Day 6 of my 2nd Whole 30. I think I have just cleared the mild headaches/bit grumpy stage. My husband just read It Starts With Food and wanted to try a Whole 30 so I said I would join him.

The only pregnancy modifications I am making are that I am aiming for just 20% of calories from protein and around 150 grams of carbs (more sweet potatoes, bit more fruit). I've been keeping track of my intake and usually hit about 2000 calories a day.

I started this pregnancy 15 lbs above my usual adult weight :( I'm hoping the Whole 30 will kickstart clean eating the rest of my pregnancy and post-birth.

Last time around I gained 45 lbs and I'll be in hot water if I gain this much this time. So far at 19 weeks I'm up 5 lbs - very healthy and normal for my current height and weight.

Last post on this thread was a few weeks ago. Wondering if some of you have had babies recently? If so share the news when you have a chance. :D

No baby here yet! I'm so not a patient person so this is a real challenge. Had an obs review today. At 40 weeks plus 2 days, my BP is perfect and I've gained a healthy 12kg. So different from last time (when I gained 40kg and had pre-ecplampsia)!

Usually with a VBAC, they'll only let you go 10 days past due before a repeat C-section, but they're giving me a full 12 days since I'm coping so well. Yay Paleo! It won't come to that. I feel confident that I'll go into labour soon, in the next few days. Just gotta stay positive and focused. I know part of the reason I can do so is thanks to the Whole 30 and Paleo.

Prayers and good vibes appreciated! Welcome minimalistmom (are you by chance the author of an e-book? If so, I totally have it!)

@Meghann Sending you good vibes and prayers. That's great that they are letting you go to 12 days past EDD. Fingers crossed for a smooth VBAC for you.

Might be my e-book. The Minimalist Mom's Guide to Baby's First Year? I am actually following my own advice this time around. Haven't bought a thing yet except maternity clothes. Last time was a much different story...

Really inspired that you have gained a healthy 12 kg by staying Paleo. Hoping to do the same.

Welcome Minimalistmom!

Just to give you some encouragement in the weight area I can tell that going back to a strict Paleo is helping my body composition. I'm 21 weeks pregnant now and prior to starting the Whole30 on Aug.1 I had already gained a whopping 17 pounds. In the last four weeks I know I've lost a few pounds because my clothes are fitting better but more importantly to me, my husband and friends keep remarking that I'm not plumping up like I normally do while pregnant. I don't really expect to lose drastic weight - nor am I trying to right now - but I'm totally fine if baby takes all the weight gain while my squishier parts lose some. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the encouragement, goosehollow. And nice to have someone on here with a similar EDD. I'm January 16th but if this one is like his brother it could be early January or late December.

I did the Whole 30 no-no and stepped on the scale on Day 7 and I am down 2 pounds. Too small to be significant but it's nice to know my body is de-bloating a bit. I'm interested to see how my scale weight goes this pregnancy if I finish the Whole 30 and stay Paleo. Will I lose body fat while pregnant?

Now on Day 9 and starting to feel good. Not great but good. We've been at events and what not with lots of unhealthy/delicious looking food and I have noticed my cravings/temptation are greatly reduced.

Ok, I totally have to join in here! Meghann, any baby yet? Waiting at the edge of my seat!!

I just found out on Thursday that I am pregnant!! (I haven't told anyone yet though because I'm only about 4 weeks) I started the Whole30 August 1st so I'm winding down now. Just waiting for the morning sickness to kick in any day. And hoping maybe it doesn't!

Any tips for eating Whole30 during morning sickness? Or should I just do what I can/need to get through it? If it's like my first pregnancy, all I remember eating was plain bagels and cereal. Couldn't stand the smell/taste of any meat or vegetable. Then after the first trimester was over, I was ok eating better.

Congrats to all of you. This is awesome having such a great resource for pregnancy this time around!!!

I'll admit, I'm spying on your thread here. ;)

Congrats to all of you! How exciting!

Citymom - Congrats!!! That's so awesome! I would be really curious to see what happens with your morning sickness/how you wind up eating post-Whole30 and during the first trimester. Do you plan on reintroducing anything when the Whole30 ends?

For a month or two prior to getting pregnant in 2009, I followed a high-protein, low-carb, moderate-fat paleo diet that did not include coconut, much fatty meats, or any type of potato. This was Dr. Cordain's original recommendation of the paleo diet, back when he was still nervous about saturated fats and didn't like any type of potato in the diet. I threw up probably 10 times a day eating that way and instead of listening to my constant cravings for fat (I wanted avocados and nothing but really fatty meat all the time), I ended up eating bread and crackers again. Now that my daughter is two, I have FINALLY gone back to eating 100% paleo again. Yeah, that had never been my intention for it to take so freaking long to get back on track...

If I were in your position, I'd stay Whole30 complaint and wait for the morning sickness. Then, I would try to listen to my cravings and aversions and see if my body can point me in the right direction. I think it was trying to the last time, but I didn't listen. I never actually craved bread or crackers, I just decided to eat it because that's what the pregnancy books tell you. But, that's me. Again, I'd really love to hear your experiences with that!

No baby yet! 41 weeks tomorrow. Trying really hard to stay positive and focused, but it's getting tougher everyday. I am booked for a repeat C-section next Monday but it's likely I'll go into labour before then. I really, really, really don't want another C-section. At the end of the day, I know I'll be fine when I see my beautiful baby, and I'm very good with taking life as it comes, but I am still getting nervous.

I'm using the Whole 30 and acupuncture to stay calm and try to enjoy these last moments with my bubs in my tummy. I haven't been 100% compliant. I made biscuits for a potluck and they had a teaspoon of honey and I very consciously ate them. But honestly, I'm just cutting myself some slack right now.

I am still walking 5 or 6km a day and feeling pretty good, but tired in the afternoons. At this stage last time, I was truly a beached whale and it was so unpleasant so I'm very grateful to still be feeling great.

If any of y'all feel comfortable throwing good vibes, prayers, happy thoughts, COME OUT BABY dust my way...please do! I'd really appreciate it!

And a huge congrats to Citymom! Hooray!

Congrats, CityMom! I found protein was a Catch-22 in first trimester. Hard to get it down but it paid off when I did with less nausea. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

@Meghann I'm sure you are doing the usual to try and get things started so I won't bother with the list of supposed labour starters. Sounds like you are in a good place mentally which is so important. Fingers crossed for you!

I started a Pinterest board for my Whole30 to document some of my meals. Here's the link if anyone is interested: http://pinterest.com/minimalistmom/whole30-while-pregnant/ I'll also post a thread about it - would love to get more meal ideas from pregnant women on Whole30 and Paleo.

Eating about 20% protein per ISWF and filling up on veggies, good fats and a some fruit. On Day 10 and starting to feel really good. Hoping to get a run in this afternoon pushing my 32 lb toddler in the jogging stroller. No easy feat even when I'm not pregnant.

I'll admit, I'm spying on your thread here. ;)

Citymom - Congrats!!! That's so awesome! I would be really curious to see what happens with your morning sickness/how you wind up eating post-Whole30 and during the first trimester. Do you plan on reintroducing anything when the Whole30 ends?

If I were in your position, I'd stay Whole30 complaint and wait for the morning sickness. Then, I would try to listen to my cravings and aversions and see if my body can point me in the right direction. I think it was trying to the last time, but I didn't listen. I never actually craved bread or crackers, I just decided to eat it because that's what the pregnancy books tell you. But, that's me. Again, I'd really love to hear your experiences with that!

Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't sure what to introduce after the Whole30 ends. I'm feeling a bit lazy with cooking recently and it's been hard just to eat the right stuff and enough of it. I need to sit down and just commit to what I want to do after it ends. If I don't make a plan, I'm afraid I'll just cave in and starting eating all the bad stuff again.

I like what you said about listening to your body. I will have to remember that. I definetly don't plan to just "listen to my doctor" about what to eat. Haha. In my first pregnancy, they told me to stop doing Crossfit and monitor my heartrate, yada yada yada. Yeah right. I did crossfit all the way to the end and I'm so glad I did!!

I've been feeling lazy with cooking too and have found that my crockpot is, once again, a real lifesaver. If I can get dinner on in the morning, a batch of tuna or egg salad ready to go in the fridge, and just keep some avocados around, then I can usually eat pretty decently without much stress.

I've been doing something similar to Crossfit this whole pregnancy and have felt great. The problem with that though is that my husband is giving my exercise routine all the credit for me staying leaner when I totally know it is the nutrition piece that is working.

Baby arrive yet, Meghann? I'll assume so if we don't hear from you again :D

Welcome to the new ladies! And congrats on your pregnancies. :)

It's my last day of this Whole30! I made it all the way through with one small mishap. I ended up taste testing (1/4 cup or less) the home made ice-cream I made for DH on his birthday. Ingredient-wise it's still considered paleo/primal. Big mistake. I ended up vomiting even though I used local raw grass-fed dairy.

I'm now convinced that my previous two pregnancies were so severe with nausea/vomiting due to eating grains/dairy (and interestingly enough, one of my kids tested positive to intolerances to those things (which led us to paleo to begin with) and the other was showing signs of digestive issues when eating them). The only time I've been sick this pregnancy (twice) was after eating one or both of those things. I was still very nauseous this time around, too, but managed to make it through without any trips to the ER or anti-nausea meds and I'm sure it has everything to do with eating paleo.

For my nausea, I choked down protein which always helped. DH would cook extra for me that I kept in the fridge so I didn't have to deal with it much. I just grabbed it and ate it cold. Often I found that easier because I didn't have to deal with cooking or smelling it much. I'm not even sure I chewed much of the time. Ha. It wasn't always easy to do, but I never regretted it after I started feeling better. There were a handful of times I really craved carbs and ended up eating some gluten free bread (pre-Whole30), but it never helped me feel better. I may have mentioned this, but after completing this Whole30 I'm wondering if eating more fat would have helped even more as I found out that I wasn't eating nearly enough.

I'm planning on sticking really close to Whole30, with some dark chocolate thrown in from time to time. It's really the only thing I care to add back in.

Labor vibes Meghann!

@jennifer Congratulations! I'm on day 12 and right now I feel like we'll stay on mostly Whole 30 but add in bacon and some cured meats. Oh, and a bit of sweet like honey for making pulled pork and ketchup.

@goosehollow I agree, it's mostly your nutrition. Last pregnancy I was working out a lot, bootcamp, running and intense hikes. All of that and I gained 45 lbs. Not working out as much this time around but my nutrition has been so much better. Last time I was up 18 lbs by the 20 week mark. This time I am up just 3 lbs at 20 weeks.

He's here! My beautiful son, Llewellyn Fisher Birks, arrived on Saturday weighing a healthy 8 lbs 5 oz. I will post a longer one later but just wanted to let everyone know. I ended up having a repeat C-section but it was actually a beautiful, healing experience in the end. Yay for perspective (which for me is linked to diet!!!!!).

Thanks for all the good thoughts. Off for a shower and a nap but will fill you all in later!

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

Meghann

Archived