Brand of bacon??

Kryztle

I went to the co op and bought bacon because I was gonna make bacon wrapped jalepeno chicken..didn't think to look at ingredients since it's locally farmed! I get home and it has dang sugar in it!! Help me find a whole 30 compliant bacon please! Also hotdogs...many are talking about them but the grass fed locally farmed ones I also picked up has organic cane syrup as an ingredient! Ugh...my shopping trip was a failed one! I put the bacon and hot dogs in freezer for when I am done so I slip up. But if anyone has a brand of hot dogs and bacon please let me know! Thanks much :)

Other than the Whole30 approved bacon from US Wellness Meats (link provided by melindalucille), you need to read the ingredient labels of all other products. History has shown that some manufacturers have different ingredients in different regions. 

Read the label at your store, but I believe Pederson's bacon (I've seen it at Whole Foods) should be compliant.

Yes they do have a compliant version... No sugar no nitrates... Purchased 2 packs tonight at whole foods!! 

They also have two non compliant versions at Whole Foods by Pedersons... But the complaint version has "Paleo" in a little circle on it... 

I've always ordered bacon from US Wellness, but now I have something to keep an eye out for in Whole Foods!  Thanks for asking the question :)

My mom is also a big fan of the hot dogs from US Wellness, but I have always just picked up a pack of applegate farms if I was feeling the craving.  I agree with Chris, read the labels, they have lots of varieties and I've found what I can get in NC sometimes has different ingredients than what my sister in law buys in IL.  Strange, but true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the bacon, but as for the hot dogs, you might be able to use Hebrew National. It's 100% kosher, with no added fillers, by-products, artificial colors, or flavors. You'll have to check the ingredients, but I know they're good for people with Soy allergies. My son was Milk Soy Protein Intolerant for a while, and those were the only hot dogs that he could eat.

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.

Non-compliant, right? Even at less than 2%?

right. sugar in any amount is not approved. I know, people love their bacon, but honestly the best quality bacon i can get locally has sugar (happy pigs, sustainable practices) so I just don't eat it during the whole30. Post-whole30, it's still there if I want some  :).  Prosciutto is less likely to have sugar (I can find compliant prosciutto pretty easily), and works well as a sub in recipes.

• 5 months later...

I couldn't find Pederson's at our local Whole Foods until I asked one of the meat-counter guys, who took me over to a seperate case and pointed it out. Cooked it this morning, and it was OK... too thick and WAY too salty to eat alone, but was pretty good wrapped around chunks of sweet potato and baked (recipe idea on the bacon package!).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived