What type of sprouts are best

BuddahBoy

Greetings - I have decided to begin the Whole30 program in the next week to 10 days -- first order of business will be ridding the house of those things that will not fit - which is about 80% of what I've got.

I have searched the forums but found nothing about sprouts.  I grow my own alfalfa sprouts, mung bean sprouts, radish sprouts, lentil sprouts and a few others -- are there any types of sprouts that are not within the program (I'm sure garbanzo is out).  

If this is a redundant question I apologize - just couldn't find anything relevant in the forum and if it's in the program guide I missed it.  

Many thanks
Ron

• Moderators

Actually, sprouts are okay. I'm not sure which are best. The sprouts of beans are different than the beans themselves. I tried to grow my own mung bean sprouts last year and failed. Maybe I can get some tips from you about how to get the beans to sprout. :)

Actually, sprouts are okay. I'm not sure which are best. The sprouts of beans are different than the beans themselves. I tried to grow my own mung bean sprouts last year and failed. Maybe I can get some tips from you about how to get the beans to sprout. :)

I buy my sprouts and sprouter here http://sproutpeople.org/easy-sprout-sprouter/. They have directions for all kinds of sprouts.

No special equipment needed for sprouts at all! Just take some beans, I use mung beans, and a very damp dish towel. Put the sprouts in the very damp towel and bunch up or roll up the towel. Next day, Change the towel, still make it very damp. By the second day they should sprout. Then put them in any covered container. Put them in the fridge and let them sprout more, until you are happy with how much they've sprouted. Changing water every day. Take about 4 days, maybe 5.

On the very first day of my Whole 30, I ate a salad with sprouts in it and thought I'd failed. The sprouts come from beans after all. Is it true that sprouts aren't a fail?

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

This is an old thread, but hoping for some clarity. I have mung beans with 3-day-old sprouts, about 1 inch in length. When I googled "Whole30 + mung," several forum threads came up. In one, Tom says yes to sprouted mung (or any bean), and apparently says yes to the bean bit, but later in the thread a moderator says "no, only the sprout bit" I'm confused. Too much work/not enough result from separating the sprout from the bean. Above, Tom again seems to condone sprout eating, but I'm wondering what the sprout in everyone's imaginations looks like. My sprouts are still bean + sprout. You can buy sprouted mung that are big, white sprouts and little suggestions of a bean at the grocery store, frequently in the "Asian-ish" produce section. These are mass produced & I'm not sure of the possible chemical content. SO: can I eat my still-a-bean+sprouts (I'd make a dahl), OR, do I keep letting them sprout until the resemble more what you can buy at the grocery store ... OR ... ?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I searched at the forum but I did not find the answer. I read in this forum, that the sprouts of lentils, quinoa, alfalfa, beans etc. are allowed because the problem of grains is in the seeds but when they germinate they do not generate problems, so I understand that the germinated grains are allowed, but why in the rules of the program says: DO NOT EAT GRAINS. This includes wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, sprouted grains, and all gluten-free pseudo-cereals like amaranth, buckwheat or quinoa.

How can we eat sprouted grains? 

What would be the correct indications about the sprouts?

Thank you

• Moderators

Grain sprouts are the brand new sprout of the plant.  Sprouted Grains are grains that are soaked as tho one was going to grow them from seeds into a new plant.

So you can eat the new plant which are known as sprouts but you cannot eat the product of the plant such as a soaked grain.

Archived