Abundance of zucchini

Aberrantatavia

I got a great deal at my local farmers market on zucchini and summer squash. I was just going to grate it down in the food processor and freeze it for later, but I thought I'd see if there were any cool ideas floating around first. I don't have a lot of time for cooking with it at the moment as I already had some meals planned and I have a busy week ahead. I usually make a chop suey kind of thing with a bunch of squash instead of noodles. but I don't have any meat to use with it right now. And I've only ever frozen grated squash, could you do chunks or would they just turn to mush when you defrosted them?

Zoodles! Get a julienne peeler (I found one at the hardware store) and make zucchini noodles. They are SO good. I've had them with tomato & ground beef sauce, and sautéed them with garlic, olive oil, and ghee. All you do is shred the with the julienne peeler and microwave for 1.5 minutes. Faster and easier than regular noodles!

Thanks, I never thought of it in eggs, I'll have to try it. I could combine it with Annika's suggestion and make a "pasta frittata".

Annika, I have a spiraler, which makes great noodles from veges. I've always just used them raw, but cooked sounds good too. I might try freezing some to see what happens. I'm a huge fan of my freezer :)

Thanks for the great ideas!

I made some beautiful zucchini latkes from some zephyrs I got at the farmer's market last week. I shredded the zucchini, wrung out the water, added thinly sliced scallions, two whole eggs, some coconut flour as a binder and some salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. I formed them into patties and browned them in clarified butter. Absolutely delicious. They reheated really well, too.

I'm with Annika - "zoodles" are a great replacement for noodles. I've been eating them all week as the zucchini plants in my garden are giving my bushels full!

I made "carbonara" with zoodles tonight, roughly following the comfort noodles recipe in well fed (also online) but omitted the almond toppping and added fried bacon lardons. Delish.

I'm with Annika - "zoodles" are a great replacement for noodles. I've been eating them all week as the zucchini plants in my garden are giving my bushels full!

I'm jealous of your garden. All I have are tomatoes this year...

Archived