Compliant sausage and bacon

Kmkeener

There's a chicken and spinach sausage at my local grocery store. SO YUMMY.

Good luck on the bacon. I haven't found it yet. I asked the local farmer if he could forgo the sugar step in the process and he told me "no."

Perhaps for sausage you should buy ground pork and add sausage seasonings???....

Aidell's and Applegate have chicken apple sausages.  Applegate sometimes has a coupon on their website.  They have a few other things without yuckies, but check the labels.

For bacon, we ask the man behind the meat counter at Whole Foods (any actual butcher could probably do it) to smoke us some pork belly seasoned like the peppered bacon, but without sugar.

If you feel like adding seasonings for breakfast sausage, try rosemary, sage, paprika, nutmeg, garlic, onion, ginger, salt, and pepper.  I also add add balsamic vinegar, smashed sweet potato, and spinach to my patties.

www.uswellnessmeats.com

they carry compliant bacon which is excellent.  it sells out all the time though, so if you order some, order a few packs.  i normally order at least 5 packs at a time.

there are also sausages, sliders, etc on there that are  all sugar free.

It's all free range and grass fed meat too.  (pastured in the case of the pork)

LOL yeah I'm mid-west.

I live in Missouri and if you have Schnucks, they have compliant sausage that they make there.  Just find where they keep the sausages and look for the "Schnucks" brand, which they make in-house.  Check the ingredients, the only one I found that was compliant was the spicy kind (which I LOVED) ... the italian had milk in it ...which is a no no.  Hopefully you have Schnucks and this helps! 

That Applegate chicken breakfast sausage is gross IMO. I tried them once and threw the rest out. Now I just make my own sausage. I have had no luck finding bacon without sugar locally. I was told by the butcher at Whole Foods that their bacon contains less than 2% sugar but that it is needed in the curing, otherwise it is salt pork, not bacon.

I have liked applegate sausages, any kind, just be sure to read the ingredients because not everyone is compliant.  I find if you slice the sausages and cook then in a pan on the stove with some ghee, you can add any flavor you think it's missing.  For me, I like eveything spicy, so I grill them up with some cayenne and eat them with 100% french mustard.  YUMO! 

IMHO, the Applegate sausages are 'okay', but they don't taste like breakfast sausage.

After much tinkering, I have come up with this recipe:

1 lb ground pork

1TBS each fennel, paprika and sage

1/2 TBS each sea salt and black pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

It tastes best if you mix all the ingredients, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate overnight.  It zaps really well for a quick protein in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

At whole foods I found Pederson's natural farms bacon. Uncured No Sugar Hickory Smoked Bacon - Paleo compliant. no sugar no nitrates/nitrites.  Pork raised without antibiotics, growth stimulants and fed no animal by products. 

Haven't tried it yet.... Pkg has yummy sounding recipe for Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes Bites.  

There is a fabulous place here in Portland, Or that makes sugar free bacon, panchetta, and ham. I just called to check if they ship

and found out that they will.

It's called Tails and Trotters 503-477-8682

They raise their own pigs and finish them with a feed of hazelnuts which produces an incredibly tasty product.

It's not cheap but the quality and craft is amazing.

I just found a chicken, spinach, and garlic sausage that is compliant at Target. The brand name is Simply Balanced (Target brand). The package states that the chicken is antibiotic and hormone free. I'm trying it tomorrow with my breakfast.

• Moderators

I can't find sugar-free bacon at Whole Foods, and didn't want to bother ordering from US Wellness Meats, so I tried pancetta, which I did find at Whole Foods. It's delicious, comes in a round so you don't have to squish it into your pan, and tastes just like bacon, maybe a little thinner which is nice because it crisps better IMO.

Be sure to read the label! Even in my city, each Whole Foods carries a different brand and one is compliant, one is NOT.

Archived