Frozen vs. Fresh Veggies

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Just wondering if there's anything you absolutely shouldn't buy frozen.

Right now, I do a pretty even split of fresh and frozen. I buy a lot of frozen cauliflower and frozen butternut squash because I really hate the prep work that comes with these when they are fresh, and I'm usually just mashing them up anyway. I typically buy fresh carrots, but have purchased frozen sliced carrots to make the coconut carrot souffle from this site:

http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/09/blueberry-breakfast-sausage-coconut.html

I've read that most frozen veggies can be just as nutritious as fresh - but just wondering if there are any rules regarding frozen veggies to avoid (other than the ones that come with noncompliant extra ingredients).

From experience... Fresh broccoli and cauliflower can be frozen easily.. I have two large bags of each in the freezer now as I will stock up when it is on sale... However, it does not defrost well.. Meaning that once frozen it needs to be cooked... Accidentally left out some frozen broccoli and it unthawed... I tried to cook it.. It was the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth... The texture was not normal.. LOL... 

Just wondering if there's anything you absolutely shouldn't buy frozen.

Right now, I do a pretty even split of fresh and frozen. I buy a lot of frozen cauliflower and frozen butternut squash because I really hate the prep work that comes with these when they are fresh, and I'm usually just mashing them up anyway. I typically buy fresh carrots, but have purchased frozen sliced carrots to make the coconut carrot souffle from this site:

http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/09/blueberry-breakfast-sausage-coconut.html

I've read that most frozen veggies can be just as nutritious as fresh - but just wondering if there are any rules regarding frozen veggies to avoid (other than the ones that come with noncompliant extra ingredients).

Frozen vegetables are a great choice especially if you want something off season. They are often fresher because they are flash frozen after picking. I would try to stick to organic brands but as far as I know if it is on the yes list doesn't matter if it is fresh or frozen. 

From experience... Fresh broccoli and cauliflower can be frozen easily.. I have two large bags of each in the freezer now as I will stock up when it is on sale... However, it does not defrost well.. Meaning that once frozen it needs to be cooked... Accidentally left out some frozen broccoli and it unthawed... I tried to cook it.. It was the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth... The texture was not normal.. LOL... 

The only reason I choose one over the other is because of texture, like CpBatchelor mentioned. Previously frozen vegetables will not thaw to their original snappy-crunchy fresh texture. I generally find frozen vegetables to be cheaper, so I usually only buy fresh when I can't find a frozen version or I plan to eat them uncooked.

Just my thoughts!  :)

I agree with the texture or crispness not being there on certain veggies.  I do buy frozen brussel sprouts...steamer bag, so easy and they have a great taste, in my opinion.  I do not like buying frozen cauliflower nor broccolli...I definitely buy them fresh!  But both good for you and compliant!  Either way, they're veggies :)

Not sure if this is really what you're looking for, but any mixed veggies, check carefully for any no-no veggies like peas and corn. Some stirfry mixes have baby corn.

I too find the texture of some a bit weird, but I find if you use them in the right dishes, it works.

Frozen stirfry in curries (wetter, more forgiving), cauli in mash, etc 

I usually buy frozen broccoli and cauliflower b/c we like the steaming the frozen broccoli and the cauliflower is just getting mashed.  I will buy a fresh head of cauli to roast or to make cauliflower rice.  I buy fresh zuchini, peppers, onions, cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash, oh and mushrooms and spinach.  I would totally do frozen spinach, but I just don't like how it cooks as a side dish.  however, its fine when I put it in things.  So i do buy both frozen and fresh, but only fresh if I have nothing planned for frozen.

• Moderators

Definitely don't defrost frozen veggies, cook them right out of the freezer.

I like broccoli the best. Cauliflower if I'm making cauliflower mash. Greens if you have the patience to warm and drain them before cooking them in good fat. Green beans are decent too. I've bought frozen sweet potatoes and butternut squash before, they're ok, but not my top choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived