Cooking fat- what to use with what??

kurtz100

I'm a little lost on cooking fat. I am following the IBS protocol so no ghee or butter. What cooking fats do you use with ground beef, etc? I've tried avocado oil and like it with pork but not beef. I am hesitant to use coconut oil because I don't want it to taste like curry. Is there a chart or website with ideas? ITSW just lists which cooking fats are acceptable not which to use with what. Thanks!

I use home rendered lard or tallow from fatworks for most of my cooking now.  My husband can apparently taste coconut from a mile away and I save my ghee for things where I want the buttery flavor.

I also find I don't need added fat with my grass fed ground beef, but the ground bison absolutely needs it.

I love lard and I just got some grass fed beef tallow in the mail today (I'll follow up to give my opinion on it).

I also like coconut oil and olive oil and think olive oil or tallow is a good call with beef. If the beef is fatty enough, you might not need any cooking product (or you can use a light spray of a coconut oil spray or olive oil cooking spray - just double check the ingredients for anything funky).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe avocado oil has a low burning threshold so it should not be used for cooking?

tallow is rendered beef fat, so I should hope it tastes good with beef! Lard is rendered pig fat. The raw form is called "suet" in both cases. I usually use Chosen Foods refined avocado oil - it has almost no flavor, very neutral and mild and just kind of dissapears into whatever you use it in. While it is refined, after reading the post here by Natalie, I feel good using it as my every day "liquid" oil. I no longer use olive oil, as I hate the taste of EVOO, and the "light tasting" is highly processed. I use the avocado oil for salad dressings, mayonnaise, and for cooking. When I want a buttery flavor, I use ghee, which I love with everything. I only use coconut oil on things where I don't mind the coconut flavor - like sweet potatoes or baked fruits. I also like to use bacon grease for breakfast foods (especially fried eggs!) but you have to make sure your bacon is compliant.

I don't find any taste/odor of coconut oil, but the one I use is refined. I also use tallow and bacon fat from compliant bacon (I save it in a jar). I've bought tallow from Fatworks, but I also get some when I make beef bone broth from grass fed bones. I cool the broth and scoop off the fat and then redner and strain it. It is so creamy delish!

• 3 weeks later...

Duck fat is where it's at!

It makes everything taste divine and has a high smoke point. Basically, if anything gets roasted in the oven - any kind of root vegetable, or I need to sear some type of meat or poutry as part of the braising process - I use duck fat. I've never been disappointed :)

Archived