Making Homemade Mayo

Jena

I wish avocado oil wasn't so expensive around here. I keep hearing wonderful things about it, I"m just not ready to invest $14 in one jar of mayonnaise...

PS: Those of you who have mayo success - you can make decent money selling it to your less fortunate friends ;0) Mayo Mondays are a hit at my gym.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone provide assistance with what "light" olive oil is for mayo making? I stood at Whole Foods looking through all 892 of their olive oils and couldn't find anything even remotely that said "light". I even asked someone for help and they said they didn't have anything like that. I have tried making the mayo with avocado oil and it worked fine, but wanted to possibly try another option at some point.

I am a little hesitant to use the light based off the information that Johnny M shared (thanks Johnny), but I may try it and hope it is "clean".

There was an article that whole9life shared recently (http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz1qGa1SgHt) that noted many light colored/flavor olive oils are cut with vegetable oil. On a facebook forum, the validity of the study was questioned and some folks were able to provide some corroborating data so I stopped consuming light olive oil. I didn't mention it previously because I don't want to give anyone information overload but yeah...that's why I only use avocado and macadamia nut oils now!

I made a batch of this last week and it was really good. They use cider vinegar instead of lemon. http://everydaypaleo...o-cooking-demo/

I think I'll try to half it next time, I'm the only one in the house that eats Mayo and I"m not sure how long it's good.

I just did this one as well last night, but I went half and half avacado oil and unfiltered (green) EVOO. I thought it came out alright, but I knew that it was then being re-used for a lemon-jalapeno tuna salad and that was fantastic. I am going to keep playing around as I love mayonaisse and it was fun to make my own.

The light olive oil will say something like "light tasting" and also be a yellowish color instead of a greenish color. I still use a little of it...like 1/4 olive oil and 3/4 avocado oil. I don't know what to make of the olive oil study so i try to limit that light olive oil as much as possible but i like to cut the avocado taste a bit lately with it.

Hi guys! I'm new to posting on this forum (been a lurker for quite some time!).

I made my Mayo with half EVOO and half coconut oil... it tastes WAY coconutty.... but now i read that youre supposed to just use the light OO or avocado... so i'll try that next time!

I hear a bunch of you talking about avocado oil, and how its expensive/sometimes hard to find... So i thought i'd share this website, currently there is a $10 off coupon code for new members, and the avocado oil is $10.50 so you only have to pay the $5 for shipping :)

http://www.vitacost....d=1316000043871

PS: this is my referral code, but if you dont want to refer me, you still get $10 off anyway for new members...

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful! I will go to my general grocery store where it will REALLY be laced with other icky oils. (JK) ;)

Thanks cysgr8 for the information on the less expensive oil!

Here I go showing of my lack of mayo making chops again, but...

If the LT OO is cut with other oils, don't they have to list them on the label? I would think so, maybe for allergy purposes, but then again we (well, I) do live in America where they don't actually have to tell you anything it seems...

from the scary article i read:

"The legal definition simply says it has to pass certain chemical tests, and in a sensory way it has to taste and smell vaguely of fresh olives, because it's a fruit, and have no faults," said Mueller. "But many of the extra-virgin olive oils on our shelves today in America don't clear [the legal definition]."

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.com/035124_olive_oil_adulterated_canola.html#ixzz1uty0avHB

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I had a crappy, plastic blender I never had a problem making yummy mayo but ever since I got a new, nice blender it never came out right! I think it had to do with the speed of the blades. Now, I use a food processor and it comes out *perfectly* every time. I put all my oil into a liquid measuring cup and just drizzle it into the bowl. I also use the light flavor olive oil (NOT extra virgin) and it tastes as close to mayo as I think it's going to get...

I don't have a food processor and don't want to spend the money on a large on because of the cost. I am thinking of buying a mini food processor, would this be okay to make the mayo in? if so what should I have it on chop or grind??

thanks

I don't have a food processor and don't want to spend the money on a large on because of the cost. I am thinking of buying a mini food processor, would this be okay to make the mayo in? if so what should I have it on chop or grind??

thanks

I make mine in a mini food processor and I run it on "high"--works perfectly!

You don't need any type of electrical appliance to make mayo. I have made it before with a whisk. It's a little trickier to whisk and pour oil at the same time - you need to make sure your bowl is stable so you don't have to hold it while you whisk, but it's completely doable. In fact most cooking schools make their students make mayo by hand so they learn the look, feel, and texture before they ever let them make it with a blender or food processor.

Just take your egg yolk and lemon juice and mustard powder and whatever else you're going to add and start whisking it, and drizzle in your olive oil until the emulsion takes. It doesn't take long and it's fun to watch it happen when you do it by hand. It's a whole different experience than whizzing it around in a blender or a food processor.

I made it with macadamia nut oil. Very good.

Today I decided to try it with almond oil. It's okay, but not great.

I think I like it with mac nut oil better. I've heard you can make it with melted ghee, but I wonder how hard it would set up?

It is true that there has been a huge olive oil scam going on. FYI, Colavita is certified, and it's from Italy. I presently use California Olive Ranch EVOO, and it's pretty good. I haven't tried to make mayo with it, though. I may try Aoli first.

Thank you Johnny! I just can't imagine someplace like Whole Foods NOT having this. I literally checked every single bottle before I asked and then still continued to look. Grrr.

I wouldn't expect WholeFoods to have it. Light olive oil is considered a low grade product. High end stores don't tend to carry any, that I've seen. Bertolli makes a light olive oil. The packaging is bright yellow and so is the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Two words. Bacon fat.

I strain my bacon fat after I'm done cooking it and keep it in the fridge in a mason jar and use it to cook veggies, or make mayo. It tastes amazing in recipes and I've never had a problem with it mixing.

• 2 weeks later...

As a chef, I thought I'd offer a suggestion. A mayo that has split can be saved by the following technique. Place one egg yolk in a bowl and using a whisk, slowly whisk in the broken mayo. Usually a mayo splits because the oil is added too fast and it hasn't emulsified with the egg yolk properly. But starting with a fresh yolk, you can usually use the split mayo and save the batch. This was a technique that I learned and used in culinary school. Hope this helps.

IT WORKED! Thank you thank you! That avocado oil is so expensive and I was so bummed!

Two words. Bacon fat.

I strain my bacon fat after I'm done cooking it and keep it in the fridge in a mason jar and use it to cook veggies, or make mayo. It tastes amazing in recipes and I've never had a problem with it mixing.

I just tried this the other day and it was a HUGE success! I LOVE that I'm making mayo out of something I used to throw away (pre-paleo, of course)!! I can't wait to see if my husband likes egg salad better when made with bacon fat mayo.

Archived