Making Homemade Mayo

Jena

I just tried this the other day and it was a HUGE success! I LOVE that I'm making mayo out of something I used to throw away (pre-paleo, of course)!! I can't wait to see if my husband likes egg salad better when made with bacon fat mayo.

If he doesnt, he might just have to forefit his man card! :}

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh No!

I wasn't paying attention and I used EVOO instead of the light version :( . It does not taste good at all! The texture is great, so I'll keep using my Ninja. I'm so mad at myself...Is it possible to make it taste better at this point?

Maybe you can use it for cooking? Like mix in a whole lot of garlic and spread it over chicken or fish to bake...

You don't need any type of electrical appliance to make mayo. I have made it before with a whisk. It's a little trickier to whisk and pour oil at the same time - you need to make sure your bowl is stable so you don't have to hold it while you whisk, but it's completely doable.

PLUS it's a fantastic arm workout! You'll realize how unequal your left and right-handedness is when you try to whisk with the non-dominant side. Pretty stunning. I recommend it!

I am a huge fan of homemade mayo with basil and garlic added. Make a BLT or a BLAT, without the bread, using lettuce leaves to hold it all together and slather this on it... Man oh man you will be doing the happy dance!! Very flavorful and no garbage.

Just for safety, in my house homemade mayo is only used for 48 hours... but it never lasts that long!!! I make it in a Cuisinart Mini prep so I can only make a little at a time, which is perfect.

I just want to let you know, I had my second mayo fail of the week tonight. I was using a stick blender and it was fine at first and then the emulsion broke. I then took another room temperature egg, a teaspoon of dijon mustard and put it in my regular blender. I drizzled in the broken mayo mixture for a while and voila! Fixed the mayo!

It took a long time, but it was worth it.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Vwatson said:

I learned from my whole30 that I'm sensitive to eggs, they make me really lethargic. This may be a stupid question but is there an egg substitute for homemade mayo?

There are recipes for egg-free mayos. I don't know which ones are best, but you might start with this one, or google egg-free mayo or AIP mayo.

I don't know if you would want to do more experimenting at some point, but some people are sensitive to the whites, but not the yolks, or they might be sensitive to chicken eggs but not duck eggs, or occasionally people who are very sensitive to soy find they have to buy eggs from chickens that are not fed soy. So if you ever feel like doing those experiments, you could do them as other reintroductions at the end of an egg-free Whole30. 

3 hours ago, Vwatson said:

homemade mayo?

I did an egg free spell some time back and found the >light & fluffy mayo in this selection< pretty good - kind of more mousse like than creamy the way would normally be, but a good flavour. I wasn't a fan of MJ's recipe above, but I know some others have tried and thought it was okay... Either way, it's always good to have options!

I accidentally just dumped everything in at once (cold egg, cold lemon juice too), stuck my stick blender in. Surprisingly it came out perfect and in just a few seconds! My super silly fail was actually a great success! I've repeated my mistake 3 times now, it continues to work :)

I use these ingredients:

• 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  • 1 1/4 c extra light tasting olive oil
  • juice of half a lemon

Made it in a wide mouth mason jar.

Archived