Whole Foods

cysgr8

So we just had a Whole foods open in my town and we're super excited. So i ask you, what do you love from whole foods? what should I keep in mind? Any tips/tricks?

They had a grassfed ground beef sale for $4.49/lb which made me :wiggle:

OMgosh, let me count the ways...the produce, the organic hot dogs, the only dried tomatoes I've been able to find without sulfites, coconut cream, hazelnuts...not to mention all that yummy meat you just referred to. It's just super pricy.

not to mention all that yummy meat you just referred to. It's just super pricy.

Well, the way i look at it, i used to buy the 93/7 which was $4/lb anyway for conventional! plus, the next best price ive been able to find for grassfed is around $6/lb from local farmers, so $4.49 was a steal!!

Well, the way i look at it, i used to buy the 93/7 which was $4/lb anyway for conventional! plus, the next best price ive been able to find for grassfed is around $6/lb from local farmers, so $4.49 was a steal!!

I just paid $13/lb for grass-fed hamburger patties from my local farm. Ridiculous! But then I went to Wegmans and found Grass Fed Burger Patties for $6.67/lb instead.....and then my faith in humanity was restored.

Here's my breakdown:

Whole Foods: some organic produce, some high-quality proteins, olives, jarred bell peppers, Bubbie's pickles, Red Boat Fish sauce, sundried tomatoes, raw sauerkraut, kombucha, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, in-house cashew butter - they have a machine, frozen diced organic sweet potatoes.

Local farms/ranches: the rest of my proteins/produce.

Health Food Store: Pure Wraps and local eggs.

Trader Joe's: Almond Butter.

Amazon or iherb: Coconut oil, ghee, macadamia nut oil, macadamia nuts, coconut aminos, coconut milk, canned tomatoes, teas/spices, and bath/household products.

I usually do not shop at other stores unless I am traveling. Then, I try to find a local health food store, a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's.

Yes, it costs us a lot of money. We have had to do without other things to afford it. Yes, it is worth it.

Hope this helps.

Whole Foods deli has really good roast beef - you can have them cut it thin or thick, to your liking. For a quick lunch, I like to have it cold with a handful of nuts and a pile of veggies (maybe some green beans quickly steamed, or raw cauliflower & carrots to crunch on). Doesn't get quicker or easier!

Oh, I also love the WF guacamole -- it's in the produce section, not with the other pre-packaged guacamoles.

The Whole Food deli turkey is roasted fresh daily. Tastes as great as a Thanksgiving turkey and priced same as Boar's head. Anyone know if its Whole30 approved? Guess I need to ask about seasonings next time I go. Easy protein source if seasonings ok or if I trim off seasoned edge perhaps.

The Whole Food deli turkey is roasted fresh daily. Tastes as great as a Thanksgiving turkey and priced same as Boar's head. Anyone know if its Whole30 approved? Guess I need to ask about seasonings next time I go. Easy protein source if seasonings ok or if I trim off seasoned edge perhaps.

You would have to find out if it is preserved with sugar. Most deli turkey is.

When I've explored the deli lunchmeats at WF, the great thing is that every one of them has an ingredient list posted right there in the display. Unfortunately, the only one I have ever seen with no sugar is the roast beef ($15/lb, ouch). I splurge on the roast beef -- I figure I'm saving a bundle on wine and dairy and JUNK, I should be able to spend extra for good delicious "convenience" meat which will help me stay on track.

OK the curiousity got to me. I called my Whole Foods and asked about their roasted turkey available at the deli. The Whole Foods Roasted Turkey is not processed deli meat. It's just a turkey roasted on premises. They do put canola oil on the outside and add basic seasonings, there is a smoked one, herb and garlic and a basic roasted one. I specifically asked if the turkeys are injected with any flavoring and I was told no.

My assumption is that if I ask for a thick slice of it, maybe a couple of inches, then I could just cut off the edge that was brushed with canola oil and use the rest and be ok. Am I right? I think they sell it for $10.99 on sale, $11.99/lb regular price. For a quick convenient no cook protein it seems like a good one. It tasted so much better than Boar's Head which I find too salty.

I just paid $13/lb for grass-fed hamburger patties from my local farm. Ridiculous! But then I went to Wegmans and found Grass Fed Burger Patties for $6.67/lb instead.....and then my faith in humanity was restored.

Do you have a Trader Joes near you? Mine has Organic grass-fed ground beef 85/15 is $6.49/lb. Not a great price but at least they have it.

They also have prosciutto without sugar or nitrates. Just pork and salt. :)

The Applegate smoked turkey deli meat in the deli case does not have any sugar or carageenan in it. Yay!! It is delicious!! Even though it is expensive it is worth it. I buy a good size amount and freeze some. The frozen meat gets a little watery; but I just blot it with a paper towel when it is thawed and it tastes great. I love the convenience of having deli meat available as a quick go to lunch or snack. I have been making turkey roll ups for lunch. I put sliced avocado on a slice of turkey and roll it up. It is simple, delicious and filling. :)

So we just had a Whole foods open in my town and we're super excited. So i ask you, what do you love from whole foods? what should I keep in mind? Any tips/tricks?

They had a grassfed ground beef sale for $4.49/lb which made me :wiggle:

I would have bought a ton of that ground beef. What a deal!

My Whole Foods has some really great Friday specials from time to time. Last week Wild Caught Atlantic Coho Salmon was $8.99/lb instead of the usual $15.99/lb. They had a similar shrimp sale in May. There is a line at the seafood counter for those kind of deals but the line moves pretty quickly at my store. Organic Strawberries were $2.50 a lb last Friday too. Wish I had bought more because they were so good. Last month Organic blueberries were $1.99/pint and another day cherries were $1.99/lb.

If you "like" the FB page at your local Whole Foods they will keep you updated with store specials and events. That's how I know about their really great deals. My store offers a tour, maybe monthly, for customers to learn about their stores and how to get the best value for their money. I also ask the employees questions and they point me to best sellers and deals. I took my kids Saturday and they sampled their way through the store trying a bunch of stuff from local vendors and even played outside with the inflatables they had in the parking lot for a special celebration. Not Paleo at all but they love their free cookie at the deli too. :)

Since dried fruits and nuts are difficult foods for me to portion control or keep at home in bulk, I like that I can just buy 3 mission figs or a couple of dates or 2 ounces of shelled pistachios when I want. They have a lot of bulk items.

Have fun exploring your store. I'm still exploring mine and its been open a year. :)

They have a "naked" rotisserie chicken which is great for Whole30 compliant fast dinner. I also like the harissa you can get in the DC Whole Foods when I am visiting out there. And I am another vote for the guacamole!

Good to know about the rotisserie chicken. I know the "simply grilled" chicken breasts in their prepared foods section were compliant the last time I looked, as were some of the other grilled things. Not the most economical thing, but, if you're in a pinch or meeting a friend at Whole Foods for lunch. Good to know about the naked rotisserie chicken -- seems like a good easy night in dinner in the making.

The Applegate smoked turkey deli meat in the deli case does not have any sugar or carageenan in it. Yay!! It is delicious!! Even though it is expensive it is worth it. I buy a good size amount and freeze some. The frozen meat gets a little watery; but I just blot it with a paper towel when it is thawed and it tastes great. I love the convenience of having deli meat available as a quick go to lunch or snack. I have been making turkey roll ups for lunch. I put sliced avocado on a slice of turkey and roll it up. It is simple, delicious and filling. :)

Did you find a pre-packaged one without sugar or carageenan, or was it where you have it sliced at the deli?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't buy a lot at whole foods, but that's because I have some really fantastic year round farmers markets in NH. But I found that they are cheaper for coconut aminos than my local store and Whole Foods in Cambridge, MA (near where I work) has pork bellies. I tried their coconut milk last week and I didn't care for it, not as thick and delicious as taste of Thai. I would agree on the guacamole too! In a pinch I've gone and gotten some veges and chicken breast and guacamole for lunch, even before whole 30.

I was thinking I would go seek out some compliant foods that might be more convenience foods to have on hand at work. Soup or things like that that I can have there in case I work really late and don't have a meal. I don't want to rely on a handful of nuts for things like that.

Anyone found anything worthwhile?

Archived