Eating out Whole30-style in London

Chris Mead

Hi Chris, 

I loved this post, very British indeed! I take a group of students to study abroad every summer at Cambridge, and I am getting anxious about my trip this summer as I want to try to continue to be as whole30 as possible while I am there.

Did you find any chain restaurants in England that have easily adaptable Whole30 meals? We do a lot of field trips outside of Cambridge and it would help if I had some go-to restaurants around England where I knew I could find a good meal. I am post-Whole30, so a little added sugar, etc won't kill me but I'd love to stay as close to the guidelines when I can.

I lived in the UK for 3 years (actually just outside Cambridge!). There are plenty of restaurants and quick eats places where you can get Whole30 compliant meals (Pret, EAT, etc). The grocery stores (Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose) have tons of pre-cut grab and go fruit and veg. The best part is the easy-to-read food labels. You will find that many of the restaurant menus offer GF options. It's a very meat and white potatoes land and entree salads are hard to find. Enjoy the plentiful lamb and grass-fed beef on the menus! (Oddly enough, we had British friends who wanted us to buy American meat for them at our commissary because they like the taste better …. if they only knew!)

Pizza Express has great salads. They are all over the place… but beware because the pizzas will be tempting!

Rainbow Cafe in Cambridge is an all-vegetarian restaurant that sources local ingredients. It's delicious and has many GF options. However, they do serve a lot of dishes over legumes and rice. But I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate specific requests.

• 2 years later...
On 3/1/2014 at 7:55 PM, Chris Mead said:

Hello.

I have now finished my Whole 30.

I feel pretty darn tip-top.

Reflecting on my month, I thought you guys might like to read my opinion on the differences between US and UK restaurant customer service and the impact on us Whole30-ers?

https://medium.com/p/365a9b8932b8

Thank you!

I completely agree with this. I've loved doing my Whole30 this time because of the changes I've been seeing but whenever I've had to eat out it's caused me a great deal of stress. It's sad and I know it shouldn't happen but I've postponed meeting some friends who I usually meet for meals out until my reintroductions are over. 

Archived