What should I eat for breakfast for Whole30?

Hello!

So I'm new to Whole30 and I've been reading a lot about recipes and meal planning. Most meals I've read about focus on lunch and dinner, not breakfast. The Well Fed cookbook will arrive in two days so I haven't had a chance to flip through it yet - don't know if it will have a section on breakfast.

I'm used to eating cereal w/ milk in the mornings since it's so quick and easy. If I start Whole30, what are some good foods to eat for breakfast? The first things that come to mind are eggs and fruit. However, I know that if I just eat eggs and fruit I'll be hungry again within 2-3 hours, easily. Should I just eat a lot more? I also read online that a lot of people eat chicken/beef/chili/etc. for breakfast. I usually think of those foods as lunch or dinner foods so that surprised me, but I'm happy to try something new.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome!

First off, take a look at the Whole30 recommended meal template. For best results, design each meal to follow this template of 1-2 palms or protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. You want each meal to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Fruit is optional on a Whole30, with the recommendation of 1-2 servings per day, where a serving is the size of your fist.

When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand.

So, to use your example, one possible breakfast would be a 3 egg omelette with spinach, onions and shredded sweet potato, topped with sliced avocado.

The possibilities for breakfast (or any meal) are endless.  Instead of thinking it as breakfast, think of it as "meal 1." Many Whole30 folks have leftovers or veggie soups with a side of protein for breakfast. 

When in a rush, there is a meal called Monkey Salad. It is 3 layers: bottom layer is chopped bananas, middle layer is roasted cashews, top layer is toasted shredded unsweetened coconut. It's got the crunch of cereal and the sweetness of breakfast. Goes good with coffee.

When in a rush, there is a meal called Monkey Salad. It is 3 layers: bottom layer is chopped bananas, middle layer is roasted cashews, top layer is toasted shredded unsweetened coconut. It's got the crunch of cereal and the sweetness of breakfast. Goes good with coffee.

This "salad" doesn't fit the Whole30 recommended meal template, as it's just fruit and fat.  I'd suggest having this in a small bowl, and have another plate with at least 1 palm of protein and 1 cup of veggies to make a complete Whole30 meal.

I have become a huge fan of sweet potato hash for breakfast.  We make up a huge batch on the weekend and then put it in individual baggies to last the week and keep them in the freezer/fridge.  Pop it in a skillet with some oil and some compliant sausage or bacon and cook it up.  Takes about 5-10 minutes.  Then top with a couple of fried eggs.  It is fabulous!

• Moderators

If you need quick and easy, make one of these ahead of time:

Frittata Onion, veggie of choice, maybe a little ground meat. Cut into slices, grab and go.

Or make Mini-Frittatas from Nom Nom Paleo

or Meat and Spinach Muffins from Well Fed

Or hard boil a dozen eggs (3 or 4 for each day)

Add some baby carrots plus your fat of choice (half an avocado, perhaps, or some homemade olive oil mayo to dollop on them).

BAM.

All of these recipes are making me hungry :) I will keep these in mind when I start Whole30 soon. Keep the suggestions coming!

All of these recipes are making me hungry :) I will keep these in mind when I start Whole30 soon. Keep the suggestions coming!

I totally suggest trying a couple of recipes before you start.  Have a few things in your fridge and freezer before your day one and plan on eating more at meals than you might otherwise expect.  

Sweet potato & turkey sausage hash is my hands down favorite...I make a gigantic batch on Sunday and section it out into one a day servings...I add onions, spinach or kale, red bell pepper and carrots to make it a compliant meal in one container...pop a small spoon of coconut oil on it before I microwave it and there's breakfast!  Days I work early, I bring it in and nuke it at the office...

I buy bags of baby spinach leaves and use this as a bed for whatever I have for Meal 1 (breakfast). This morning I topped it with prawns and mayo for a compliant breakfast. Sometimes I will have cold meat and avocado. I can't seem to fancy any other veg in the morning unless it's in a frittata or omelette. Make that the night before and eat cold - great as a grab and go breakfast with a small bowl of greens and mayo. 

Hello! Day 3 of whole30 and I would like to clarify eggs. I know there are tons of posts on eggs but I haven't found the clear answer to my question so I apologize if this should go elsewhere.

Should I be eating a meat source of protein with eggs for breakfast? On my first day I had a palm sized amount of beef with 2 eggs and veggies with some nuts for fat. Was this compliant? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello! Day 3 of whole30 and I would like to clarify eggs. I know there are tons of posts on eggs but I haven't found the clear answer to my question so I apologize if this should go elsewhere.

Should I be eating a meat source of protein with eggs for breakfast? On my first day I had a palm sized amount of beef with 2 eggs and veggies with some nuts for fat. Was this compliant? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sounds ok to me Natasha. You don't have to eat meat with eggs. Eggs on their own are good - just make sure you eat enough - as many as you can hold in one or two palms. I usually have 3 with something else and 4 if on their own.  

You can have eggs with another protein or without.  I often add eggs because they lower the grocery bill a bit.

As for portions, a serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand (while in their shells).  I can hold three.  So, One palm of meat and up to two eggs falls within the one to two palms requirement of the template.

You can have eggs with another protein or without.  I often add eggs because they lower the grocery bill a bit.

As for portions, a serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand (while in their shells).  I can hold three.  So, One palm of meat and up to two eggs falls within the one to two palms requirement of the template.

Just to clarify, the meal template is a recommendation, not a requirement.  :) 

The breakfast natasha11 ate is compliant.  The question is, did it satiate you for 4-5 hours?  If yes, great. If not, add an egg and/or some more veggies next time around.

Sounds ok to me Natasha. You don't have to eat meat with eggs. Eggs on their own are good - just make sure you eat enough - as many as you can hold in one or two palms. I usually have 3 with something else and 4 if on their own.  

Just to clarify, the correct egg serving is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. The 1-2 palm sized recommendation is for meat/poultry/fish portions.  :)

My breakfasts are usually just kind of thrown together from leftovers and whatever is in the fridge. This morning I had some sweet potato hash browns, a handful of zoodles sauteed in garlic and ghee, and 2 breakfast sausage patties (I make my own sausage). I also love leftover chicken legs (I always make extra so I can have them for breakfast) with whatever leftover veggies I have in the fridge. The other day I made the best omelette with caramelized onions and mushrooms that were leftover from a burger I'd made for dinner the night before.

Just to clarify, the correct egg serving is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. The 1-2 palm sized recommendation is for meat/poultry/fish portions.  :)

I didn't know that - thank you. I thought 4 eggs was ok :(

Just to clarify, the meal template is a recommendation, not a requirement.  :) 

Last time I did Whole30 I was told that some of my meals were non compliant because they didn't follow the template. That implies that it is a requirement of the plan, not just a recommendation. Confused now

Last time I did Whole30 I was told that some of my meals were non compliant because they didn't follow the template. That implies that it is a requirement of the plan, not just a recommendation. Confused now

Sorry if you received some miscommunication on that front.  

The Whole30 rules are here. http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

The Can I have guide is here: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

All other moderator direction that doesn't come from these two places, is a recommendation to get the best results on your Whole30.

Any Well Fed users out there who can point out recipes that are great for first-time cookers? Foods that are easy to make in batches are preferable too. I've already searched and found that a lot of people like Bora Bora Fireballs, Chocolate Chili, and Pad Thai. I'll have to try those first :)

Edit: I just started reading Well Fed and realized that Melissa answers my questions haha. Oh well, tips are still welcome!

Archived