Anyone doing AIP right now?

I'm not doing it yet, but I'm strongly considering it. My psoriasis is just getting worse it seems. It's the worst it's ever been. I think I really need to do an AIP to get it under control. I'm probably going to try and find as many recipes and ideas that are AIP friendly in the next couple of weeks as I can and just go for it.

I've found more recipes than I expected, and adapted I a few favorites fairly easily.

I just jumped in without overthinking it (not my usual approach) but am glad I did, I have a friend who's been thinking about it for months but can't get her head around some of the restrictions so she keeps eating the restricted food (more than ever, in fact, like a "last supper" that's been dragging on for 2 months).

I just started Whole30 to support my husband and found out about the AIP. I'm going to transition to that for Sunday of this coming weekend, I had already cooked a bunch of food that has eggs and peppers that I can't waste and I'm the only one who would eat them. 

I'm hopeful because I have Fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's along with GERD and IBS...and I'm only 35! Oops, forgot to say I'm Type 2 as well!

Yes. Well, I start tomorrow. 

I have Celiac Disease, which is auto immune, and I also have fibromyalgia and (possibly) chronic fatigue. 

So I guess I can't eat eggs. I don't think I react badly to eggs but I guess I should try the plan. Without eggs or nuts or soy, it's going to be a lot of meat and fish eating. Wow. 

I'd been eating primal for about 6 months when I started, and eggs, cocoa, coffee etc I thought would be really hard to eliminate.  But in fact I struggled the most with giving up the nightshades (in particular the nightshade spices - hot sauce, cayenne/chipolte pepper, etc I didn't realized but I used them in almost everything I made).  

My biggest help was figuring out an AIP-ok breakfast and a lunch I could have made ahead and waiting.  After that it got easier.  I'm on Day 14, not one single slip so far...

I'm doing Sarah Ballantyne's protocol (The Paleo Approach, or most of it for free on her site paleomom.com).  I think it's the strictest of the elimination diets, but I'm hoping to only have to do this once, so I'm trying to go all in. (Well, except for organ meats, I can't go there... and my sleep is far from ideal, I have 2 kids under 3...)

I am also doing the AIP.  I started on 3/9 after finishing reading The Paleo Approach and It Starts with Food.  I was previously following a TQI diet then was adopting a Paleo diet and starting to incorporate Sarah's AI protocol while I was reading it.  I made the day I finished both books my official start date for the W30. So now I am being much more strict than I was before.  The good news is so far I don't think this week has been too bad.  I have endometriosis and chronic migraines I am hoping to get better dietary control of.  

Sarahinparis already gave the link to paleomom for recipes.  Here is another link.

http://autoimmune-paleo.com

Is there anyone with endometriosis who has done the food reintroduction part?  I am wondering how that works.  

On Mickey Trescott's site she also has some printable guides available of foods to avoid and foods to include.  I keep them by my stove so  when I do start cooking a meal or looking at a recipe it is a quick reminder and you can then write and add you own additions on to the lists.  

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol-print-out-guides/

I did AIP for 3 months. It's really not bad once you make the switch to thinking of breakfast as just another meal, rather than being locked into having to eat traditional "breakfast foods." And it can be kind of plain fare, but I never minded just having meat, veg, and fat--lamb patties, sweet potatoes, and sauerkraut make a great breakfast! To make up for not having butter I used olive oil or coconut oil and added garlic powder for savor. Coconut cream is great in your coffee or tea. Honestly, it's all just yummy, and not scary at all!  :D

I have a question about AIP. I looked at Sarah Ballantyne's pinterest of recipes she's pinned that are AIP or easily adapted to AIP and many of them she says that they are fine if you leave out the pepper, meaning black pepper. I thought pepper was allowed?

I think in the past and in some versions of AIP pepper was allowed (I don't have It Starts With Food, so I can't check there).

But I think Sarah Ballantyne is now considered the definitive expert on AIP, and her protocol now has all seed and berry spices on the Avoid list for at least the first 30 days.

I don't want to have to do is super strict phase again, so I decided to go all in. (Well, as all-in as I can - my sleep is a mess due to young kids!)

Yeah, I'd rather not have to do the really strict restriction phase any longer than I have to...so I guess black pepper is out for now too. in 90% of foods, I don't even notice black pepper, but there's a few things, especially a nice grilled steak, where I absolutely love black pepper. I guess salt and garlic will have to do.

Has anyone planned out the reintroductions yet?  I'm conflicted, trying to decide between starting with what I miss most (grass fed raw cultured butter!) or going through the rungs like Sarah Ballantyne lays out (she actually writes that either approach is fine).  The list of reintroductions is so long, it's going to take a few months to really work through them if I do it carefully...

I didn't let myself think much about the next thing until I got to about 3 weeks in - then I was (am) confident I'll finish the month just fine.  I was hesitating between starting reintroductions vs extending full AIP, but when I studied how long a time it takes to do careful reintroductions it's making me sway towards that.  I expect to keep a base of AIP with a few things reintroduced for several months (although I'd love to know if I can tolerate tomatoes by late summer when they are at their peak!).  Plus we have travel planned in May and staying AIP compliant will be almost impossible, whereas with a few reintroductiosn I think I could swing it... Still not fully decided, but leaning towards reintroducing.  If I didn't have travel plans I'm sure I'd stay the course longer.  

Forgot to mention that I made a ginger-marinated pork tenderloin yesterday that I made with an AIP curry powder (recipe at the bottom, the seedless one, here : http://www.feedmerachel.com/2013/04/09/chicken-coconut-curry-stew-dairygluten-free-paleo-autoimmune-protocol/).  

I made a pan sauce from the meat, with the meat juices, some sautéed onion and coconut milk, plus the AIP seedless curry powder (about 2 teaspoons).

It was tasty.  Definitely lacking the oomph and energy of normal curry powder since there is no pepper and no chili, but still quite good.  My husband and son added pepper and hot sauce and said that was all it needed.  I'll try it in a Thai-like coconut milk curry sometime soon too.  I made a big batch of the powder that I stored in a jar.  

I have thought about the reintroduction.  I think I will probably follow some of how Sarah outlined stuff in her book, although I think the first thing I will reintroduce is egg yolk.    I really miss eggs and I decided that when I do the reintro on them I should divide them up between the yolk and white to see if one or the other is a problem.   

Plus we have travel planned in May and staying AIP compliant will be almost impossible, whereas with a few reintroductiosn I think I could swing it... Still not fully decided, but leaning towards reintroducing.  If I didn't have travel plans I'm sure I'd stay the course longer.  

If you were able to get through reintroducing most of the more popular seed spices, eggs, and your butter before you vacation, you could probably travel and be pretty compliant it those worked out for you. 

Hi, I've tried several times to do the AIP, but never made it past the first week. I am currently on Day 13 of a 21DSD. I finish it on March 30 and plan to start a Whole 30 on April 1. If I'm still having issues after the Whole 30 I plan on another shot at the AIP. I already have to eliminate eggs due to allergy, but really love my nuts and coffee. I'm praying that gradually increasing the restrictions (as I progress from one program to another) will make the transition to AIP easier for me to stick with.

If you were able to get through reintroducing most of the more popular seed spices, eggs, and your butter before you vacation, you could probably travel and be pretty compliant it those worked out for you.

Yes, my thought exactly - if pepper, seed spices, butter and eggs are able to be reintroduced I'll be in much better shape for compliant travel. I'm pretty sure my first food will be butter (not ghee) because I have access to amazing raw-milk, grass-fed cultured butter from a small producer and it would be a crying shame to reduce that butter to ghee... And I've never thought I have a problem with this butter. I would test regular supermarket butter too as another challenge (for travel). Pepper will probably be my second test food.

Tlovesb, I did the "jump in all at once" approach to AIP (although I was already primal) and it's been fine, but I know a lot of people do better easing in. I was actually quite low carb while primal (so already detoxed from sugar).

I can see why people would struggle a lot if they come to AIP from a standard diet though - I was only looking at incremental changes of dairy, nuts, eggs, nightshades and seeds - that seemed like a lot, but do-able. I already had grains, legumes, sugar and processed foods out of my diet for months when I started.

Archived