Anyone doing AIP right now?

I'm playing with the idea of making my w30 (starting tomorrow) AIP. I did it last year, mid-way through my first w30 and continuing, for the most part, for a few months. I ate a lot of the same couple meals over and over, which was actually fine because I enjoyed them (till I didn't, at which point the thought of eating more meat made me gag) and I was able to go on autopilot and not think too much about meal planning. 

Now, just a year later, there seem to be many more recipes online. That pork loin looks great! I'm bookmarking it. 

I never managed a fully controlled comprehensive reintro, but I was able to bring egg yolks back in, which made everything much better. (MAYO!) Seed spices didn't seem to bug me, and I was able to drink black coffee w/out issue. (Fast forward six months: eating jelly donuts and chinese takeout, my entire body breaking out into intensely itchy psoriasis.)  :o

But,  I think if you are considering AIP, you may as well jump in and get it over with. The sooner you start the sooner you can figure out which foods really bug you. 

But,  I think if you are considering AIP, you may as well jump in and get it over with. The sooner you start the sooner you can figure out which foods really bug you. 

That was my mindset too, I decided if I was going to cut out some of this stuff I might as well go all the way so as to not have to do it again! 

Starting reintroductions today! 

How long have you been AIP, Sarah? In the book The Paleo Approach, it says it can take up to 6 months for your antibodies to die so that you don't react to foods anymore (if you are just sensitive or intolerant, allergies hold on MUCH longer) I'm planning to stay AIP until my psoriasis is in remission, then try to reintroduce eggs, seed spices, nuts and seeds, and maybe even very rare dairy.

Last year my psoriasis did improve after maybe three months of (mostly) AIP. Honestly I couldn't stick with it much longer. I guess I could if I really felt I had to but I guess I didn't have the motivating factor.

I just read yesterday that William James said it's easier to go to war than quit smoking, because volition is a social activity. Even though I once read a lot of James I'm not exactly sure what that means. But I think it means that for me going AIP for six months or a year would be really hard unless I had major health things at risk. If my psoriasis doesn't go away from my arms come June I may feel differently.

I started AIP today. But really not sure if this or low histamine would be best :) I had a 5 month nonstop migraine and still getting headaches after going paleo/primal. Kind of going in stages I guess. I have avoided certain food chemicals for years knowing they are a trigger, sulfites are the worst. But all cause some kind of headache.

After this big migraine triggered in Oct. First I went gluten free. My daughter is celiac and dad died of intestinal cancer, so I figured it was the best place to start. Sure enough my body reacted violently upon gluten challenge. Then I went grain free as the headaches didn't subside. Of course all this lead me straight to paleo/primal communities. 

I only just removed all dairy in the last week or so. Still having some lighter headaches. So going all out with AIP!! :) I do know some nightshades are triggers, goji and peppers so might as well eliminate all.

But I also know some histamine foods are triggers too, blue cheese...but if I keep eliminating there will be nothing left :) even left over meat can have loads of histamine! 

So for now I'm going with AIP and keeping a watch on histamines as well....I ordered The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook. For now just going to stick to her recipes till I figure more of this out. Made coconut milk from whole coconuts last night...OMGosh ssoooooo gooooood!! much better than any caned. So glad I tried raw vegan a few years ago (also because of migraines) and I invested in a Bletec! works great for AIP since having to make condiments for scratch too.

Ok mainly posting to make an official start! 

How long have you been AIP, Sarah? In the book The Paleo Approach, it says it can take up to 6 months for your antibodies to die so that you don't react to foods anymore (if you are just sensitive or intolerant, allergies hold on MUCH longer) I'm planning to stay AIP until my psoriasis is in remission, then try to reintroduce eggs, seed spices, nuts and seeds, and maybe even very rare dairy.

I only did one full month (March) as AIP.  I too read The Paleo Approach about it being many months for some to see benefit, but that just won't work with my current life and so I decided better to do one month and see if I saw any huge impact than to abandon all effort because I couldn't commit to 3-6 months.  If I really think I need to, I might go back to AIP in the Fall when my travels will stop, but I just can't manage running my family (2 under 3) and traveling every month from May-August and trying to stay 100% compliant with AIP.  

Also, my motivation to go AIP was a concern around my daughter's skin, but the pediatrican had a simpler explanation that looks like it might be right - so if I won't need to look into putting my daughter on full AIP as an infant my own motivation to continue diminished significantly. 

And finally, the thing that pushed me to end AIP the most is that I still have a lot of weight to lose (40 pounds or so, although I'm already down 45) - and I wasn't losing much at all on AIP even though I was extremely careful about fruits and starches.  I had been low carb primal before AIP (during the weight loss).  I loved the healthy feeling from all the vegetables on AIP though, so I kept scanning the environment and saw that Dr Terry Wahls new book, "The Wahls Protocol" has a ketogenic level - and the food restrictions are extremely close to AIP.  So as of April 1 I transitioned to Wahls Paleo Plus (the ketogenic version) and I also began a few AIP reintroductions (since having pepper and mustard and a few things like that will make traveling on this diet so much easier). I'm being pretty careful to schedule reintroductions of foods to be the things that AIP rules out but that Wahls Paleo Plus allows (so green beans, for example, and egg yolks will wait a while longer).  I'm actually hoping to reintro both of those in May though. 

• 2 weeks later...

And Sarah, I think you are wise you so what you can. The all or nothingness of the AIP is the scariest part. But I read an interview w Paleo Mom the other day, I'll find, it was good, where she said that even she, "We Can Never Cheat" has slip-ups. I hope you find you can reintro yolks. It makes a big difference!

Archived