Where do you buy ghee?

Lisa W.

I did the bulk of my grocery shopping today for tomorrow's Day 1 so my veggies will be freshest! I found a jar of Spectrum coconut oil, but I couldn't find any ghee. I shop at a military commissary but definitely can go elsewhere out in town when necessary. I'm not even sure WHERE to find it, honestly. I tried Googling on my phone while in the store and it said to look on the ethnic aisle, but I didn't see any.

The closest Whole Foods is 1 hour and 20 minutes away... doable, but not preferable. Any other stores that I could try? Thank you so much for any help!

Hi!! :) I would check Harris Teeter or the Apple Crate. If worse comes to worse, find some Kerrygold butter & clarify it yourself! They *may* have it at Sam's Club there, it's not here the last I checked.

I have seen this butter at the commy http://www.challengedairy.com/products not sure if they have the organic stuff or not. But the European style tastes pretty good!

Thank you everyone for the help and advice!

Megan! Of course you post here, too! hehehe I like these forums a lot! I will definitely try Harris Teeter and Apple Crate... I also want to go to Bed, Bath & Beyond in search of a julienne peeler to make zucchini noodles! :D I started a journal here because I don't ever go to AWW anymore and I don't have a blog and you can't (or don't wanna) say THAT much on FaceBook. So this seemed like a good home for a brand new journal.

Beth, I live on Ft. Bragg... so not too far away, really, but I've only been to S.Pines once. A couple of years ago we went to an office supply store there that sells a lot of K-Cups for the Keurig coffee machine for my husband.

The closest Whole Foods is up in Cary, so I've only been there twice. Not super handy.

Oh! So is ghee found in the middle of the store, or in refrigerated areas?

• 3 weeks later...

I got my julienne peeler at Bed Bath & Beyond and I was surprised how much I liked the zucchini noodles! It was a great purchase. Add some ground beef and tomato sauce and it's not a bad replacement for spaghetti at all!

Really, at Costco? I will have to check, which area of the store did you find it? Thanks! And how much? :)

It was in the spice section across from the Olive Oil. I forget the exact price, but it was a huge jar and less than $10.

• 6 months later...

Just make some from scratch. If you can melt cheese, this is easy. It's time taking but worth the trouble. All you need is a big stock pot, a wood spoon and of course, a ton of butter. I hear Kerrygold is good, but pricey. Try and get the butter in bulk. I like how this guy makes ghee:

I found some ghee at Whole Foods recently. It is organic and pastured....a happy find. I immediately cooked something with it and it tasted a lot like incense smells. Is it always so fragrant?

I haven't been able to find high quality butter (but will stock up when the local dairy has some). I do like the idea of ghee because the recipes seem simpler than clarified butter and I can order the Pure Indian brand. I simply couldn't tolerate food that smelled and tasted like perfume. Is that how it always tastes? I know the Indian food I used to eat so often didn't taste that way, but I know it has ghee.

I make my own ghee. So easy and delicious. I either use Kerrygold (2.99 for 8oz at Trader Joes) or Organic Pastures cultured butter (when I find it on sale). I use the oven method. I don't remember who posted this method, but it is incredibly easy. I used to use the stove top method. Oven is so hands free. I like making it in 16 oz batches, so I use two blocks of unsalted Kerrygold. I throw them into my Le Cruiset 4 or 5 QT pot. I would say it's super important to use a heavy, high quality pot so it doesn't burn. I turn my oven on to 300 degrees. No need to pre-heat. Mine is perfect after 1 hour and 20 minutes. I don't stir it. I don't even look at it. Then strain with cheesecloth into an appropriate container.

@Nico, I don't know why any ghee would smell like incense, but I so would not like that. I really dislike incense and scented candles. Mine smells like browned butter. The ones that I have bought have a milder browned butter smell, but when I make mine, I let it brown until it's ALMOST burnt.

Thanks! I thought it would be like browned butter, too.

I did find Kerry Gold at the local supermarket (Sprouts and Whole Foods are in the next town and Costco is a ways away). I looked it up and it was not 100% pastured and not organic. I thought animal fats had to be both. Am I mistaken?

Happily, my body prefers coconut oil to animal fat, but I am trying to add variety slowly. I'll remember the oven method.

Thanks! I thought it would be like browned butter, too.

I did find Kerry Gold at the local supermarket (Sprouts and Whole Foods are in the next town and Costco is a ways away). I looked it up and it was not 100% pastured and not organic. I thought animal fats had to be both. Am I mistaken?

Happily, my body prefers coconut oil to animal fat, but I am trying to add variety slowly. I'll remember the oven method.

I don't know your source, but Kerrygold is from Ireland and is from grass fed, pastured cows. Just ask Derval. :) It is not a requirement that it is organic.

I don't know your source, but Kerrygold is from Ireland and is from grass fed, pastured cows. Just ask Derval. :) It is not a requirement that it is organic.

This is liberating. When I was looking for butter sources and preparation info, I did see that some paleo sites said Kerrygold is not always grassfed due to the cooperative farming and the climate. On their site, they say that the animals are on pastures 312 days a year with supplemental feed from crops such as wheat and barley. I recently read that there may be some evidence that grain products may be passed through milk products and that was part of my motivaton for my Whole30, although not a huge concern that I know of, yet.)

Perhaps I was too strict at first. I'm on Day 31 now, so I can ease up on the training wheels a little, I suppose. There is butter available locally and I have learned how to prepare it. Thanks!

Archived