Sorry in advance, but I have to vent.....

CRCBN

If one more person tells me I have lost too much weight or that eating Whole30 is unhealthy, I'm going to throat punch them........seriously! The latest was my boss's nosy mother! Just now. Can you believe it? She told me I'm too skinny, I'm too pale & my diet must be missing something.........

This is what I wanted to tell her:

"I'm 5'3" and went from 156 lbs to 119 lbs in the past 10 months. I did it without feeling hungry or loosing energy. I sleep better, poop better and move better. What the Hell is unhealthy about that?

I gave up grains, legumes, alcohol, sweeteners and dairy and replaced all of that junk with good quality meat, fish, eggs, tons of veggies, healthy fats, fruits and nuts. And your diet of Twinkies, Big Macs, Beer and Potato Chips is more healthy??!!! No, it's not. That's why you are an overweight type 2 diabetic and I'm not. Mind your own business, old lady!"

What I said instead was:

Oh,(fake smile) ha-ha. Hope you guys have a safe trip home!

Thanks for letting me vent ya'll. I was going to bust if I didn't get that off my chest!

You averaged a 4lb weight loss per week, which is a reasonable amount. I must say, the # on the scale doesn't matter. You are making healthy food choices. Have you done any strengthening to tone your muscles? I'm sure now that you have less fat, your muscles are more defined. Now that you have your weight under control, exercise is important along with eating healthy. 

I must say I'm 5'3" and 119lbs as well and I've never had anyone tell me I'm too skinny, however, I've always ranged around the same weight. So it's interesting to see how people's views change depending on how they Judged you before. (disclaimer: I  don't like to judge anyone and have an open mind) 

Kuddos to you for making a healthy lifestyle change! Way to go! 

Hi Carmen. Actually, it was about 1-1.5 pound a week. :)

I really just needed to vent here. Truth be told, I like this lady. She has always been very nice and kind to me and I'm sure she was just being concerned. I've just been told by 6 people in the past month that I'm too skinny and that I've lost too much weight when I really haven't and her comments just struck a nerve today.  

Isn't it weird that people would never consider walking up to someone and saying "wow you're sure getting fat lately" but they have no problem telling someone they are too skinny? After over a year eating this way, I'm still having trouble keeping my weight stable; I fluctuate about 10-12 pounds several times during the year. Without fail, every time I get back down to where I want to be, where I feel comfortable, where I feel great about myself and in control, at least 2 people comment on how skinny I am (this is at ~130 lbs). No, I don't need to eat those donuts...mindyourownfrickingbusiness!!

If one more person tells me I have lost too much weight or that eating Whole30 is unhealthy, I'm going to throat punch them........seriously! The latest was my boss's nosy mother! Just now. Can you believe it? She told me I'm too skinny, I'm too pale & my diet must be missing something.........

This is what I wanted to tell her:

"I'm 5'3" and went from 156 lbs to 119 lbs in the past 10 months. I did it without feeling hungry or loosing energy. I sleep better, poop better and move better. What the Hell is unhealthy about that?

I gave up grains, legumes, alcohol, sweeteners and dairy and replaced all of that junk with good quality meat, fish, eggs, tons of veggies, healthy fats, fruits and nuts. And your diet of Twinkies, Big Macs, Beer and Potato Chips is more healthy??!!! No, it's not. That's why you are an overweight type 2 diabetic and I'm not. Mind your own business, old lady!"

What I said instead was:

Oh,(fake smile) ha-ha. Hope you guys have a safe trip home!

Thanks for letting me vent ya'll. I was going to bust if I didn't get that off my chest!

It sounds like you need to read The Crazy Things People Say forum.  This one is a riot with all the stuff we have heard during our whole30. Enjoy. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2858-the-crazy-things-people-say/?hl=%2Bcrazy+%2Bthings+%2Bpeople

I've had people tell me that I'm too skinny, or that I don't need to diet anymore.  First I tell them I'm not skinny, I'm a lean, mean, fighting machine.  Then I curl my arm and show them my bicep.  That is usually enough weirdness to shut them up.  Then I tell them that the reason that we (my husband and I) are doing this 'diet' is so he doesn't have to take his $500 weekly shot for his autoimmune issues.  That pretty much shuts down anything else they were thinking about saying.  If they are in the middle of eating something, they usually take a long look at it as well.  Kind of funny.

Hubby and I are on a month of vacation to see all of our families before we move to Korea. Over the last two weeks, everyone has, at some point, mentioned how they have so much 'mysterious' inflammation. My FIL has gout, and is on a purine-limited diet.

I've spoken to my MIL about the W30 before, but she rejected it because it can't be good to get rid of grains and dairy! Especially because of my FIL's gout (purines are highest in meats, and supposedly grains and/or dairy reduce them? ugh just eat veggies!).

I try to increase veggies in meals, but all they do is pull out the potato chips, crackers, breads, etc.

The one benefit of all of this is that my hubby has seen what eating non-Paleo is doing to my body. My nails have been chipping SO EASILY that I don't notice it until they grab my clothes. I've gone up one belt hole in a month. Yesterday, he said that we needed to figure out how to make my nails stronger (he likes getting head/back scratches before bed, it's one of the things that we've done for years). My answer was that eating fairly strict paleo does that for me, that my nails are fine if I'm eating that way. His response? Well then let's do that at home.

*swoon*

I think that will be the way that we make this work long term. If we're not at home, then we won't worry about it. If we are at home, we will eat by the template. I have to be gluten free (as of last month, I am a diagnosed Celiac) no matter what. I think I might need to get a spiralizer, though. I want one!

Archived