Whole 30 approved mayo?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you would be hard pressed to find a commercial may without safflower oil and some other buggaboos. Making your own mayo takes less than 10 minutes. Less time than driving to the market, waiting in line, and driving home again.

I have looked but have not found anything available commercially that fits the Whole30 bill. I made my own yesterday. My blender gets too hot and curdled it the first time I tried. Yesterday I used the food processor instead. Success! Wonderful stuff, and super easy and super cheap!

Mine looked right in the blender, but once refrigerated, it took on the consistency of butter. It tastes like a cross between butter and bernaise sauce, but looks like melted butter when it warms up. Definitely not for tuna! I'm a pretty good cook, and can successfully make both bernaise and hollandaise, but this just didn't work.

What did I do wrong?

Mine looked right in the blender, but once refrigerated, it took on the consistency of butter. It tastes like a cross between butter and bernaise sauce, but looks like melted butter when it warms up. Definitely not for tuna! I'm a pretty good cook, and can successfully make both bernaise and hollandaise, but this just didn't work.

What did I do wrong?

Sounds to me like you didn't get a good emulsion going. Staring with room temperature ingredients help, and when adding the oil you must have the smallest stream possible. I use a 2 cup liquid Pyrex measure cup, and barely drizzle the oil.

I also add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard (instead of mustard powder) to help with emulsion.

What did I do wrong?

?? I use a plastic jar and an immersion blender. I also use a squeeze bottle with a small opening to drizzle in the oil. After reading up on it on "The Clothes Make the GIrl" I also learned that starting with room temperature ingredients is important. I used apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice today. My mayo gets pretty creamy but not thick. It thickens a little in the fridge but not too much.

Hope the next batch goes well!

• If I never use the stick blender for anything BUT mayo, its worth it!! I room temp the oil, eggs, lime juice and ACV, and then just whirr in pulses and it is like MAJIC!!

I made a kikkin tartar sauce with capers, dill, and grated garlic that makes my mouth water every time i catch a whiff of it. Duke's Mayo was the best I had ever had in my life (the closest to home made) and it broke my heart when I realized they used soybean oil, so I found a copycat recipe. YUM!

I made a kikkin tartar sauce with capers, dill, and grated garlic that makes my mouth water every time i catch a whiff of it.

This sounds great, must try it. I made some of my mayo into spicy mayo last night by stirring in some chipotle powder - fab with sweet potato fries.

I make sure the egg is at room temperature. Last time I used apple cider vinegar instead of lemon and it was good. I use this mini travel blender.

Since it has a small motor, I pulse in the oil in. Unbelievably, it makes mayo just fine every time!

I still cannot believe it takes me like 5 minutes to make delicious homemade mayo!

I dont mind at all!!

Original copycat recipe (what I use)

200 g oil (I tend to use about 175 g as the 200 g makes for extra oil at the top for me. Oil wise I end up using blends of whatever oil I have on hand, the light tasting olive/mct. macnut is okay but powerfully macadamia-Y)

1 T Apple Cider Vinegar (same)

1 T White Vinegar (1 T Lime Juice)

1 T Lime Juice (So I just use 2 T of lime and 1 T ACV)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (I use 1/4 black mustard seeds and 1/4 yellow mustard seeds and grind them instead of preground)

1/4 teaspoon paprika (I only had Hungarian smoked at first and that was good too!)

2 egg yolks

All room temp

I blend like this. EZPZ!!

• 3 months later...

This is my fourth day of Whole30! It has been challenging since I have been living a carb dependent life for so long! I am wondering what it is in mayo that is not ok. There is one available that is made from Olive oil and contains no dairy, gluten, soy etc. What should I be watching out for? I want to make a chicken salad and need a dressing for it! Thanks.

This is my fourth day of Whole30! It has been challenging since I have been living a carb dependent life for so long! I am wondering what it is in mayo that is not ok. There is one available that is made from Olive oil and contains no dairy, gluten, soy etc. What should I be watching out for? I want to make a chicken salad and need a dressing for it! Thanks.

I have never seen a prepared mayo that is compliant. What are the ingredients? They usually have sugar in them and I forget what else. I haven't bought any in ages.

Using the recipe in the video did the mayo have a taste similar to Miracle Whip? It seems with the sugar it might. I am a Miracle Whip fan and would like to make my own may to taste like Miracle Whip. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to do this?

Using the recipe in the video did the mayo have a taste similar to Miracle Whip? It seems with the sugar it might. I am a Miracle Whip fan and would like to make my own may to taste like Miracle Whip. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to do this?

Nancy, one of the videos did say there's was similar to Miracle Whip. I'm a mayo gal and have never liked Miracle Whip, so I don't know how to do it, but maybe some raw honey to sweeten it since you are not currently on a Whole 30?

Here's a link that uses that and white wine vinegar.

http://www.janssushibar.com/miracle-whip/

I have never seen a compliant one either... I know kraft has a low fat one made WITH olive oil, but it isn't pure olive oil. What you are looking out for is soybean/canola oil, sugars, and the like.

Thanks! Earth Balance has a mayo that has no sugar but it does have canola oil. This may be a dumb question, but why is canola oil bad?

Here's my favorite recipe/method. She mentions "if you like the Miracle Whip tang, this will be right up your alley". It calls for raw honey, so you'd have to leave that out during your W30. I use extra light olive oil instead of grapeseed and it turns out delicious.

Archived