elowe1016

Yogurt Confusion

26 posts in this topic

Hi there,

So I am getting ready to give the Whole30 for vegetarians program a go. I already eat close to the guidelines but would like to dedicate a whole month to really focusing on it. I know being a vegetarian on the program is not ideal but I have been a vegetarian for 9 years and am not at a place I want to change that. I do lift heavy and want to make sure I am getting in good protein. I definitely eat a good amount of eggs but also enjoy plain greek yogurt. I was trying to understand what falls under the ok dairy as far as this program goes for vegetarians. Is organic full fat greek yogurt ok? any kefir brand recommendations or specific items I can find? 

Thank you for any advice!!

organic full fat greek yogurt is ok for the vegetarian plan. That said, I've never seen it. If you must choose between organic full fat yogurt, and non-fat or non-organic greek yogurt, go for the full fat organic one.

I've not seen unsweetened kefir in stores, so can't make any recommendations there.

MeadowLily likes this

You can get it at Trader Joe's, but I make my own. Euro Cuisine makes a great, cheap yogurt maker, and you can make full fat organic yogurt way cheaper than anything you can buy at the store.

letsdoyoga likes this

Hey! I've been looking for a yogurt that would fit into the plan as well.  This one looks good, but it has a lot of sugar when you look at the nutritional ingrediants. Is it still compliant?

Lauren- Are you doing the vegetarian plan? On the regular plan, no yogurt is permitted at all. On the vegetarian plan, the Nancy's Plain Whole Milk one that you linked would work. The honey or vanilla would not.

A tip: when looking for sugar, check the ingredients' list, not the nutrition facts. If there is no sugar (or sugar equivalent, like honey or dextrose or cane syrup) then you are good to go.

Nico, LaurenDulin, Physibeth and 1 other like this

I'm currently doing the regular plan, but have been considering switching to the vegetarian option if I continue with the program longer then 30 days.

Thank you for clearifing about looking at the ingredients lists versus nutritional facts!  Very helpful.

Thanks!

Barfygarfy likes this

I am pescatarian and I really like eggs.  Should I stick to fish and eggs as my protein (and nuts and seeds) or should I also include the yogurt and tempeh options?  I am gluten-intolerant and one of my reasons for doing Whole30 was to see if I have any other intolerances so my plan was just to have fish and eggs, but that is also because I assumed that the yogurt and tempeh options were only for vegans...

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

I am getting ready to start my first Whole30 in a few days and am navigating the "what yogurt can I actually eat" waters. The info in this thread is slightly helpful, but none of the brands mentioned appear to be grass fed. I bought two different brands today to try out, both organic and grass fed. However, both look to contain added sugar or cane syrup. One (Maple Hill Creamery) has a ton of fat and not much protein, the other (The Epic Seed yogurt) is lower fat, greek,and has added chia seed and looks amazing. So I guess the question is... What is most important 1) grass fed 2) whole fat 3) no sugar? Since yogurt is allowed on the vegetarian plan to cover a protein source I am inclined to go with the Epic Seed brand that is 17g of protein and 1g of fat as opposed to the Maple Hill that is only 6g of protein and had 7g of fat. Help!!

I am getting ready to start my first Whole30 in a few days and am navigating the "what yogurt can I actually eat" waters. The info in this thread is slightly helpful, but none of the brands mentioned appear to be grass fed. I bought two different brands today to try out, both organic and grass fed. However, both look to contain added sugar or cane syrup. One (Maple Hill Creamery) has a ton of fat and not much protein, the other (The Epic Seed yogurt) is lower fat, greek,and has added chia seed and looks amazing. So I guess the question is... What is most important 1) grass fed 2) whole fat 3) no sugar? Since yogurt is allowed on the vegetarian plan to cover a protein source I am inclined to go with the Epic Seed brand that is 17g of protein and 1g of fat as opposed to the Maple Hill that is only 6g of protein and had 7g of fat. Help!!

Firstly, no sugar or sweetener is permitted on any version of a Whole30.  Look at the ingredients list (vs. the nutrition label) as your guide here.

Secondly, dairy-based yogurt as a protein source is allowed ONLY if you're following the vegetarian Whole30 plan (and again, only if it has compliant ingredients).  This is not allowed at all on the omnivore Whole30.

Thanks, Chris. And yes, I am doing the vegetarian version.

So I should worry more about no added sugar/sweetener than the organic, grass-fed, whole fat, non-factory farmed requirements listed? It's confusing because from what I can tell, the program is calling for a product that does not actually exist! It's a tall order.

So I should worry more about no added sugar/sweetener than the organic, grass-fed, whole fat, non-factory farmed requirements listed? 

you need to worry about both. It isn't easy to find, true, but it does exist. 

A farmer's market may be your best bet for this.

Between yesterday and today things have changed I guess... I am super confused! I am tying to get ready to start Whole 30 but the shopping list did a radical about face a couple days ago. People are talking about black beans and tofu and yogurt but NONEof these things are on the list for vegetarians/ vegans. I am pretty sure if I showed this list to my Dr. He would ask where the protein is for the vegan community? I might get by short term but it is not sustainable long term. I wanted to try it to correct a possible gut issue, but I believe there is a huge gap for vegans unless I am missing something. Can somebody help?

Between yesterday and today things have changed I guess... I am super confused! I am tying to get ready to start Whole 30 but the shopping list did a radical about face a couple days ago. People are talking about black beans and tofu and yogurt but NONEof these things are on the list for vegetarians/ vegans. I am pretty sure if I showed this list to my Dr. He would ask where the protein is for the vegan community? I might get by short term but it is not sustainable long term. I wanted to try it to correct a possible gut issue, but I believe there is a huge gap for vegans unless I am missing something. Can somebody help?

Beans (properly prepared), tofu and yogurt *are* on the Whole30 vegetarian/vegan shopping list.

See for yourself: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

That's the old one.

New one from the top menu: http://whole30.com/downloads/book-shopping-list-veg.pdf

I'm sure this has something to do with the new book coming out. I'd say for now, until we can read the book and clarify why this changed, vegetarians can opt to stick with the old list. I think the book is out tomorrow, so there should be more information forthcoming soon.

Hi everyone!

The new shopping list is not a mistake. We're re-designing the downloads to support the info in the book, and this one shopping list covers vegans, vegetarians, and pescetarians (so you'll see animal-based options). We always aim for consistency with our program, and the protein options previously listed on the pescetarian/vegetarian/vegan shopping list were not a part of the Whole30 program as written, but were suggested options for folks with those dietary resrictions. This was causing some confusion in the community. So, instead of listing those alternative proteins on the shopping list, we've left room for folks to fill in the protein options that are not listed, but are appropriate for their context as discussed in The Whole30 or It Starts With Food.

We've included all the information you need to determine what proteins you should include, how to prepare them, and how to modify our portion recommendations in our new book, The Whole30.  

MeadowLily, Barfygarfy and kirkor like this

Yes I agree, it was there in exactly that form the day before yesterday, I think it was, but go to the website today. It does not appear like that. Wow, I am glad though that you had that reference for me to look at because I was beginning to think I was nuts. I had been trying to remember exactly what it said in reference to what was allowed. But had I just tuned in today to the website, the veg specialty shop list I would not know about the list you are referring to. This all obviously has something to do with the new book. They must have changed things, my sister said they changed the omni list too. So, for sure that stuff was on the list but it doesn't seem to be now?!? Thanks for your reply and the copy of the *old* list I really wanted to see what was on it and couldn't find it anywhere.

Hi everyone!

The new shopping list is not a mistake. We're re-designing the downloads to support the info in the book, and this one shopping list covers vegans, vegetarians, and pescetarians (so you'll see animal-based options). We always aim for consistency with our program, and the protein options previously listed on the pescetarian/vegetarian/vegan shopping list were not a part of the Whole30 program as written, but were suggested options for folks with those dietary resrictions. This was causing some confusion in the community. So, instead of listing those alternative proteins on the shopping list, we've left room for folks to fill in the protein options that are not listed, but are appropriate for their context as discussed in The Whole30 or It Starts With Food.

We've included all the information you need to determine what proteins you should include, how to prepare them, and how to modify our portion recommendations in our new book, The Whole30.  

Robin - when will the old list be going away?  I think some will still be confused and think there are two lists to follow...the oldie and the new one.  How long will the old list be supported?

jmcbn likes this