Bacon or Breakfast Sausage

mommyrunmommy

Hi! I'm getting ready to start the Whole30 for the first time. I noticed that the bacon I normally eat has sugar in the ingredients label for sugar curing. So even though each serving is 0 carbs, since it has sugar in the ingredients I won't consume it for Whole30. I really do enjoy a little 'breakfast' meat with my eggs in the morning once in a while. Does anyone know of a brand that's available at Safeway, Whole Foods or Berkeley Bowl (if you're in the Berkeley area) that is Whole30 compliant?

I haven't checked my sausage yet but I do know it's preservative and MSG free, so I will need to make sure it's 100% compliant. I will definately consume more beef in the place of bacon and sausage in the morning since it's less processed.

Thanks!

Aidells sausage chicken and apple has no added sugar, just fruit juice which is Whole 30 approved. I grill it and slice it in to medallions. Yummy and gets my meat craving satisfied. Whole foods has a few others, read ingredients not sugar grams because they sneak stuff in. It can only be sweetened w/fruit juice. Bacon is a lot harder than sausage to find. I suggest visiting the butcher case at Whole Foods and read the ingredients. I have only found one by chance at Whole Foods, every other one has some type of sugar.

I make my own breakfast sausages with ground pork. They are FANTASTIC. Paleo Comfort Foods has the recipe, and I think Well Fed has one too (I don't have Well Fed yet...I'm hoping the boy buys it for me). Barring those two, you should be able to google around for a compliant one

Good Italian Prosciutto (also called Parma Ham), only has two ingredients, pork, and salt. You can even find it in Safeway. While it's isn't bacon, I've subbed it for those occasional cravings. You can fry it, grill it, stuff it in something else, pretty much anything. Some of my favorite ways to eat:

1) Plain, on it's own

2) Put some tomato, some nuts and wrap in prosciutto

3) Wrap asparagus with it and grill it

4) Get a filet mignon, wrap prosucittuo around the edges and grill

5) Stuff chicken breasts with goat cheese (I miss this) and prosciutto, poach, or bake

Hey, I just found Range Brothers bacon, sugar free and they're based in San Francisco, a label of Prather Ranch. You can find their products at the ferry building or Oakland Grand Lake or Marin Farmer's markets. Not all their products are sugar free so you'll want to check. I'm not sure the cost as I got mine from The Pig Next door from a gift. It's pretty decent bacon, I've had it for breakfast a couple of times already.

• 5 years later...

Does Trader Joe's Andouille Chicken Sausage meet the criteria?

Here is the list of ingredients: INGREDIENTS
Chicken, seasoning (sea salt, spices, mustard, evaporated cane juice, natural flavoring, dehydrated garlic, paprika), filtered water, paprika, in natural pork casing.

Wasn't sure about evaporated cane juice.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jen D. said:

Does Trader Joe's Andouille Chicken Sausage meet the criteria?

Here is the list of ingredients: INGREDIENTS
Chicken, seasoning (sea salt, spices, mustard, evaporated cane juice, natural flavoring, dehydrated garlic, paprika), filtered water, paprika, in natural pork casing.

Wasn't sure about evaporated cane juice.

No, evaporated cane juice is sugar.  In my signature below is the link to the sneaky sugars download... have a quick look through that.  Good for you for checking tho!

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Iamkalexzandriakw said:

This is my first time doing the Whole30. I did not know that not all Applegate Farms products were not approved. I just realized I have been eating the wrong bacon and sausage. I am on day 8. What do I do? Did I ruin my chances of seeing results? Do I need to start over?

Read this article, and decide for yourself how you want to proceed:   https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

• 6 months later...

Archived