Shelf life of coconut aminos

Eajs

First time user of coconut aminos. Just purchased yesterday. When I went to open bottle it almost popped due to foaming, which has settled down somewhat. Normally I would discard this but while looking for a substitute to use in recipe I am making, I saw that this product "ferments". Is this safe to use or would you considered spoiled.

• Moderators

I have used coconut aminos that foamed up for months without a problem. My current bottle doesn't foam up, but an earlier one foamed a lot. I don't use coconut aminos every day, so can keep a bottle going for a long time.

• 3 years later...

I just called Coconut Secret to see if my long-stored-in-the-kitchen-cabinet unopened bottle of Coconut Aminos was still good. It was hard to read the sell-by date, so the customer service person asked me for the lot number so she could look it up. She said the sell-by date was actually 2/13/15 and that once opened I could use it for 6 to 12 months. It needs to be refrigerated after opening it (it says to refrigerate it on the bottle). I asked her about the "6 to 12 months - that is, how would I know if it was still good after 6 months and she said it should smell very much like soy sauce but a little sweeter and that if it smells like vinegar, it has gone bad.

She also said that the white bits people were seeing were yeast from continued fermentation of the raw product and that the product was still good. But since the white bits were unappetizing and they got so many returns, they had to start pasteurizing it, which prevents it from continuing to ferment. The taste and the shelf life are the same.

I don't know exactly when they started pasteurizing Coconut Aminos, but I googled it and found this explanation of the change here, under "Product Description": http://www.rawliving.eu/coconut-aminos-raw-237ml-coconut-secret.html

• 1 year later...

Yikes! I just looked in my pantry and saw that the bottle of coconut aminos has a patch of white "stuff" floating on top. I just bought it a little over two weeks ago and  have only used it once ( wasn't that crazy about it as a topping on veggies in lieu of soy sauce). Should I have refrigerated it after opening? Do I need to throw it out?

Archived