Whole30 Sample Reintroduction Schedule

SharynF

• 2 months later...

This is great to have. I'll re read chapter 20 of ISWF too. I'm not interested in re-introduction right now but I was going to ask a few questions. The links above answered them all. Even if I already read them all, now that I'm in the thick of things they mean more.

I think you folks do everything here so professionally I'm just So impressed.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a bit confused on re-introduction. The link to the schedule above says to start with legumes. In ISWF, it says to start with dairy. Which should I do or does it matter?

I am also curious about introducing three servings as suggested. I didn't eat dairy three times/day before, why would I do that now? I think after not eating dairy for a month and then have it three times in a day will definitely overload my system. I'm looking forward to plain Greek yogurt, but if I add cheese and ice cream, how will I know if just the yogurt is okay?

I guess I'm not understanding the process.

Thanks!

• Like 3

I com if with mindy5... Dairy for each meal? Never do that. I know I had problem with milk and flip item before whole30. So can I just reintroduce cheese and yoghurt?

Updated...

Never mind found the answer...

"Reminder: If you don’t miss a particular food or drink that you know makes you less healthy, don’t bother to reintroduce it. Not missing tofu, black beans, cottage cheese, or brown rice? With evidence pointing towards these foods making you less healthy, there’s no reason whatsoever to add them back into your diet. Only reintroduce those foods that you suspect you’ll really want to include back into your diet once in a while, and leave the rest happily behind. - See more at: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/#sthash.niD63BhC.dpuf"

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Hutlifr. I have been to that link, but it still doesn't explain the reasoning behind introducing three things (from one food group) in one day. I am curious as to why this is suggested. Thus far, I've only reintroduced dairy 1/day on a few separate days. I would like to better understand the science. I am certain eating dairy three times in a day would not be good for me, but the occasional dairy seems okay.

• Like 1

Thanks, Hutlifr. I have been to that link, but it still doesn't explain the reasoning behind introducing three things (from one food group) in one day. I am curious as to why this is suggested. Thus far, I've only reintroduced dairy 1/day on a few separate days. I would like to better understand the science. I am certain eating dairy three times in a day would not be good for me, but the occasional dairy seems okay.

FWIW, this is similar to the reintroduction protocol my registered dietitian used when I did an elimination diet through my doctor's office back in 2006 after food allergy testing. As I recall, the rationale for having the food in question at all three meals was to be sure you ingested enough of the food group to conduct a sufficient test for sensitivity.  If you feel crummy after 1 serving, that might be enough to stop. If you feel fine after one serving or you're not sure, it's another good reason to have the item in question at all three meals (or, if you have unclear results after 1 day, add another day of testing said food group).

EDIT: the order in which you reintroduce food groups doesn't matter. The Whole30 reintroduction schedule is a sample of one possible order.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Gf chris. So if I want to eat the occasional yoghurt post 30, I need to eat one yoghurt for three meals during re-intro, eventhough I only want to eat one yoghurt every couple of days after re-intro? Same with cheese? I never eat cheese 3 times a day, it would constipate me for days!...

• Like 1

Gf chris. So if I want to eat the occasional yoghurt post 30, I need to eat one yoghurt for three meals during re-intro, eventhough I only want to eat one yoghurt every couple of days after re-intro? Same with cheese? I never eat cheese 3 times a day, it would constipate me for days!...

Hi Hutlifr.

In your context, it sounds like you already know how the dairy you want to eat affects you.  In that case, there's no reason for you to do a controlled reintroduction on that food group: you've already got the information you need. :)  The idea behind reintroduction is to test for when you don't know how a food group impacts you physically/psychologically, and/or you want to know how eating that food will affect you.

Some folks separate out different types of dairy on different days. For example, they don't know how cow's milk impacts them vs. sheep's/goat's milk. Those people would do three different cow's milk products on one day, and then three different sheep's milk products on another day.  Or a pasteurized dairy day vs. raw dairy day.  Soft cheese day vs. hard cheese day.

It's your experiment of 1: test for what makes sense in the context of what you already know, don't yet know and/or want to discover.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would you do a separate reintro day for alcohol (not with all three meals of course :))?

I've got a few more days to go but need to plan my reintros around a wedding I'm attending next weekend and was going to reintroduce dairy (going to an Italian restaurant for dinner where I'd probably benefit from being able to have a bit of cheese) but if alcohol needs its own day then I'd probably prefer a glass of champagne to cheese.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is my  last day of whole60 (first time for me) and I'd like to make sure that I've understood the reintroduction 'rules'. The days I introduce one of the 'eliminated' food groups I cannot eat any of the other 'eliminated' food groups. Say, for example, that I start with diary and then I move on to grains. on the day I eat grains I shouldn't eat dairy products and on the following two days I should eat whole30 complaint. Is that correct? 

thanks

• 1 month later...

EDIT: the order in which you reintroduce food groups doesn't matter. The Whole30 reintroduction schedule is a sample of one possible order.

My understanding is that the order *does* matter, because the order is from least- to most-likely to cause issues.

• Like 1

Kirkor- Correct, the new reintroduction schedule is phrased in terms of least to most likely to cause issues. BUT, order can change based on personal context and preferences. If you have a preferred order, or want to skip foods on our list, please feel free. Our schedule is our best recommendation, but variation is not a deal breaker.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Would you do a separate reintro day for alcohol (not with all three meals of course :))?

I've got a few more days to go but need to plan my reintros around a wedding I'm attending next weekend and was going to reintroduce dairy (going to an Italian restaurant for dinner where I'd probably benefit from being able to have a bit of cheese) but if alcohol needs its own day then I'd probably prefer a glass of champagne to cheese.

I second this question.

I have a birthday on the 1st of Nov (finishing my W30 on 30 Oct). I really would like to have a couple of drinks. I am happy to still keep to my W30 eating and forgo all the non-compliant food but just wondering if drinking will throw my reintro completely out of whack? I guess it depends what kind of alcohol it is. Should I drink wine or spirits so as not to consume wheat if I'm not testing that yet? 

• Like 2

I second this question.

I have a birthday on the 1st of Nov (finishing my W30 on 30 Oct). I really would like to have a couple of drinks. I am happy to still keep to my W30 eating and forgo all the non-compliant food but just wondering if drinking will throw my reintro completely out of whack? I guess it depends what kind of alcohol it is. Should I drink wine or spirits so as not to consume wheat if I'm not testing that yet? 

Yes, do a separate reintro day for alcohol.  Your plan is prudent: your day 1 of reintro will be alcohol at the birthday party, and yes, nothing with wheat so you're not testing gluten at the same time.  I would also recommend not to go overboard; a couple drinks, as you stated, would work. The next day, I would then remove alcohol and go back to 100% Whole30 eating for two days, and then continue with reintros per the reintro schedule.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I have done some investigating on this forum, and think I may have found my answer, but I am not 100% confident. I really want to be sure that I have a handle on the reintro process since this Whole30 adventure has been TOUGH and I don't want to waste the work I have already put in. Please forgive my need for hand-holding! Here's how I understand it:

Say you reintro dairy on day one, then you eliminate it again on day 2 and 3. 

Then say on day 4 you reintro legumes, and then eliminate legumes and dairy and everything else Whole30 on day 5 and 6

Then say you reintro alcohol on day 7, and then eliminate dairy, legumes, alcohol and everything else on day 8 and 9 and so on?

Is that right?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!

I have done some investigating on this forum, and think I may have found my answer, but I am not 100% confident. I really want to be sure that I have a handle on the reintro process since this Whole30 adventure has been TOUGH and I don't want to waste the work I have already put in. Please forgive my need for hand-holding! Here's how I understand it:

Say you reintro dairy on day one, then you eliminate it again on day 2 and 3. 

Then say on day 4 you reintro legumes, and then eliminate legumes and dairy and everything else Whole30 on day 5 and 6

Then say you reintro alcohol on day 7, and then eliminate dairy, legumes, alcohol and everything else on day 8 and 9 and so on?

Is that right?

Thanks in advance!

Yes that is correct. Just to further clarify on day 4 legumes is the only non-Whole30 item you have. On day 7 alcohol is the only non-Whole30 item you have. In other words you don't have dairy (or legumes or alcohol) again (even if you are fine with it) until all your reintroductions are complete.

• Like 4

Physibeth - thanks! That helps a lot. 'Even if you are fine with it' is what I was wondering about. Why might that be recommended? Just curious, not super important I guess :-)

The point is to test things as isolated from each other as possible. On the flip side if you have an extreme reaction to something you might want to add more than 2 days of compliance before you introduce something again to ensure you are feeling as good as you were when you started. You really want the best data possible so you can make well informed decisions in your post Whole30 world. Also for many that don't have immediate reactions there can be a build up over time reaction. Take me for example. I had no obvious physical issues to anything I introduced (except when I've accidentally had soy - makes me angry). However I know that if I were to put gluten back in my diet on a regular basis I would start feeling foggy in the afternoons again. I also have found out that eating non-gluten grains regularly makes me feel pudgy and sluggish after a while. Knowing these things helps me decide if something I might eat is worth it or not.

• Like 4