Phone Apps?

cadarad

• 1 month later...

Not actually specific to Whole30 or paleo in general, but I do use SparkPeople's tracker app as my food journal tool, and their recipe app as an adjunct to the food journal function.  Mostly because a) they're free & easy to use; and B) I started my weight loss journey there several years ago & got in the habit, so I have lots of recipes there with their nutritional data, like carb content -- which is significant for managing my blood sugar issues. 

When I first discovered the paleo approach last year, I also used free apps Paleo Central & Paleo Nom Nom (not to be confused with M. Tam's NomNomPaleo, which I would jump on if it were an iPhone app), but don't use them much anymore.

Best resource so far has been getting PDFs or eBooks that I view on my phone, e.g., Well Fed cookbooks, ISWF's PDFs, etc.

If you're new to the whole paleo thing and/or you're not sure if something is on the "don't eat this" list, the Paleo Central app is a quick searchable reference.  But if you understand the fundamentals, probably not worth the storage space on your phone.  Just find a food journal app that works for you; I find it very helpful for discovering patterns in diet-symptom connections.

• Moderators

At the Whole30 forum we recommend.... no apps. When it comes to getting accurate info about what you can and cannot eat during a Whole30, there is no reliable resource beyond ours. And we don't want you tracking calories or macros during a Whole30.

That does make a lot of sense Tom! I was thinking more for recipe resources or finding what produce is in season...more interested in something post-Whole 30 now that I've completed 2 rounds. Nonetheless, the best resources have always been on the forum and the Whole30 website! :) 

• 1 month later...

I use an app on my iPad call Track & Share.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/tracknshare-universal-life/id326385763?mt=8

Daily I have the following entry

Food: Whole 30 Compliant

Coffee: How many cups

Water: How many litres

Sleep: Hours

Exercise: Minutes

Exercise: Calorie Burn reading from HRM

Wellbeing:  How do I feel

I use the Days Left widget for android - I put in the date for day 1 and it shows me what day I'm up to on my desktop. :)

I also use lift.do, which is a habit-tracker. I like ticking the box every day, it gives me a sense of accomplishment!

The two that are good for primal/paleo tracking that I've found are as follows. Both are simple, take a picture and rate the meal by quality and/or size. The quality is color coded so you can assign whatever meanings you want to the colors.

MyFoodCircle - http://www.myfoodcircle.co.uk/

Just found and started using this one; it has a social aspect so others can judge your meals as you post them. I'm currently looking for other Whole30 or primal/paleo folks that use this to help me stay on track for my Whole30...day 1 today!

Lolo GO - http://lolofit.com/apps/go_-_meal_and_fitness_tracker

Been using this one for awhile...love how I can easily review my day, week and month on the chart it provides.

This Google Doc shows how I've rated the meal colors for GO, I've yet to add for the different colors that MyFoodCircle uses.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p7_KGZdT6UG-GZOGoG2M7-IZxe-t1q8Jy6spEJf5v0E/edit?usp=sharing

Hi new to the forum and new to Whole30, but saw this thread and am intrigued. Thanks for the suggestions on the apps - I have been looking on my own and not turning up much. I really like the Foodcircle app but not sure how to view folks. Right now I've been using #whole30 on Instagram to give me ideas...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know you say "no apps," but what it seems that you are against is tracking apps and the like.

An app doesn't have to be a tracker.

For those of us just starting out it would be great to to not have to cart the book around. Or not have to print out the various resources as pdfs so we can pull them out at any time and look up what we can eat/what we can't eat.  

I'd love to have the Official Rules in a form that's conforms better to my iPhone screen. (If I make the print bigger, the margins exceed my iPhone screen.)

Same with the can't have guide.

It would be great to take whole recipes to the grocery stores.

None of these things involve counting calories.

• Administrators

I went and took a look but without paying $3.99, I couldn't see much. It does say in the description that it is created by a person who followed the Whole30. The caution would be that 1) you are paying for someone else's interpretation of the program...which may be bang on and it may be out in left field, there's no way to know without buying it and 2) you are paying for information that the Hartwig's currently give away for free.

I'm a through and through skeptic on most things like this, especially when it claims to list "every single allowed food".....which is in the thousands if not tens of thousands. I would further wonder if the "daily motivation" is original or if it's been taken right out of the daily emails that is the only paid item on the Whole30 site. Like I said...I'm a skeptic. ;)

Has anyone bought the Whole Eating for 30 days app at the iTunes Store?

It is hard to say if this one would be good or not without buying the ap. The designer does state that they are not affiliated with or endorsed by the whole9/whole30.

As of right now there is only one official whole30/whole9 app. Check it out here: http://whole30.com/2014/09/studio-design/

• 2 weeks later...

I like the TwoGrand app for iPhone. It doesn't count calories, which is nice when you're trying to break that habit. It lets you take pictures of your food when you log your meals, which I think is nice on the home feed. It runs more like a social network. You add goals to your profile and check in daily to make sure you're completing them, it will also send you reminders if you'd like. Completing the Whole30 program is one of the goals listed :) And it's FREE! That's important!

• 4 weeks later...

I like the app called twogrand

Think Instagram for food, exercise and all health oriented daily habits except this app matches you with people based on age, body type, health goals, lifestyle (frequent traveler, marathoner, mother of young kids, eat out mostly, etc.) and more. This was a priceless way to connect with like-minded people to hold me accountable for my food choices and exercise choices.  Not at all specific for the Whole30 but you can search keywords like Whole30 to find and "follow" others also doing the Whole30.  

Just a thought..

• 3 weeks later...

MyPaleoPal is similar to TwoGrand and Instagram except the pictures will be Paleo as opposed to all kinds of food. 

I realize Whole30 is not Paleo per se, but the meals tend to be similar.

I know it is available for iPhone, but I am not aware if it is available for Android.

Archived