Raw cacao nibs?

Cinnaberry74

I've got organic raw cacao nibs by Nativas Naturals. Are these approved since they don't have soy, sugar, dairy? Only thing on the ingredients list is Certified Organic Cacao.

Also.... where can I find turkey bacon with no sugar? I went to Sprouts and Trader Joe's and all brands have sugar. I don't eat pork.

I don't start until May 1st, but I'm preparing my pantry and menus.

Thank you,Tom! Gee, so I guess I'm between a rock and hard place with that cacao, huh? Lol. I'm kinda siding with the pro-cacao stance. After all, there's no sugar in them! ;).

Bummer on the turkey bacon. Sigh.... I'll make some ground turkey crumbles for the egg muffins :).

From what I read on the cacao debate post - if you're using the cacao to substitute your daily Hershey Bar fix - then its not a good idea (IE - eating it by the spoonful post dinner) if you're using it as a spice (I believe there is a chili recipe that uses cacao powder - and a few meat rubs I have use cacao powder and chili) then it would be an acceptable addition. It is compliant - so I understood the post as "use with caution"

• Moderators

I agree with Leeann, and I can throw in my experience: I found myself during my first W30 last year falling into a bad snack habit in which I made a kind of trail mix with cacao nibs, sunflower seeds, and raisins. Discovered a FWOB in no time flat. For me, the general rule is I don't eat anything hand-to-mouth in that way and I stay in safe territory.

I was quite ill during my last Whole30 and I managed to stick to a compliant diet which made me very happy. One of the things I did have was a mug of cocoa made with a teaspoon of 100% certified organic cocoa powder and hot water. It was such a lovely change from 'thin' drinks like black tea and coffee and really helped me feel better. I regularly eat 85% or 90% chocolate off Whole30 so maybe the sugar free leap wasn't so great for me. 

Just curious why you are only interested in turkey bacon? I've found both sugar free pork and beef bacon on US wellness meats and they are both delicious. If you're getting healthy pastured meat, there are health benefits in the extra fat :)

Just curious why you are only interested in turkey bacon? I've found both sugar free pork and beef bacon on US wellness meats and they are both delicious. If you're getting healthy pastured meat, there are health benefits in the extra fat :)

We don't eat pork due to my hubby's religious preferences :).  I can do beef bacon, but  like the taste of turkey better (I'm not much of a red meat eater).  If I do red meat, I get grass fed.  I'm thinking of trying a local butcher or at the farmer's markets.  Where do you get yours from? 

• 3 years later...

How I see cacoa nibs: I think I want chocolate. I'm majorly PMSing and my usual 10/10 self control skills are MIA on a beach somewhere letting my time of the month have full control. I initially bought cacoa nibs (not on whole30, but whole30-esque) to see if it could help my craving in a healthyish way since I hate date flavor (the base of every paleo treat). To my surprise, the taste of 100% cacoa nibs is so nasty/strong, that one little piece can make my cravings vanish. Chocolate now seems disgusting to me after consuming the smallest amount. (Process needs to be repeated, because sometimes I think "maybe its not that bad"). Probably not good for the whole30 way of thinking, but I definitely think it shows you the concepts in It Starts With Food  regarding the empty food that tastes better in your mind and is supernaturally sweet.

Archived