You know someone is doing a Whole30 when...

jhmomi

OK we're off the post topic, but why the fixation on just tuna? I skip the tuna and go for canned salmon, mackerel, oysters. Maybe I'm missing something about the tuna? I love added bonus of calcium from the bones in the mackerel and salmon, too. My stores in the midwest sell full big cans of these for just $2-2.50.

Just from my perspective, I'm looking for a convenient, portable lean protein source other than egg whites or chicken.  The fattier fish/seafood you mention doesn't work.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

...when you open their pantry and see: ghee, extra light olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, roasted-garlic infused olive oil...

I've got that fat collection next to my stove!  I used to just keep coconut oil and ghee next to the stove.  Now there is a jar of lard too :)

When they go into target to buy a birthday present and almost forget about said present because, frozen veggies are crazy on sale (ooh an excuse to make well fed spinach and meat muffins), and have you seen their selection of la croix?

• 2 weeks later...

... they are proud as a mother hen when all their food prep for the week is done!

... they curse the food companies for adding sugar to EVERYTHING!

... they pass the treats at work without a glance!

... they always get a thrill when the mayo turns out!

Without going to a specialty organic type store, I haven't ever seen it. Granted, my available stores have only had the typical Starkist and such brands but I've never personally seen a can of tuna packed in water without soy. I'm sure Whole Foods (whole paycheck?)/Trader Joe's/etc. would have something but that isn't available everywhere the military sends me...

Costco has. Kirkland brand. It's just tuna, water, salt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

...they wonder if licking stamps and envelopes is non-compliant.

LOL!

There was a thread a while back where we discussed the ins and outs of compliant paper and envelopes... I can't find it now but it was quite funny!

As someone with Celiac, I don't lick stamps or envelopes. Most glue for those things is wheat-based and I don't want to risk a reaction. However, like I said, I have Celiac, so it might not be as big of an issue for others.

More of a "been living Whole30 style" for long time observations--

New person at work asks where vending machines are. I've worked there 9 years. I couldnt answer with certainty.

Turns out vending machines are by the elevator. Not the stairs, my usual mode of transport!

And when mom asks why I use bank lobby instead of drive up. Banks have drive ups? Can I ride my bike through there?

And, when Siri FINALLY figures out it is FODMAP not God map, polyols not polyps, and fructans not fry tans. She's like that unsupportive friend sometimes lol!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...when they have a section of the work refrigerator with stacked containers.

...when Google starts suggesting search terms with "Whole30" at the end.

...when they move down an aisle at the grocery store a few inches at a time, saying "Nope" as they go.

...when their coworkers know what "NSV" means and start offering suggestions of things they have noticed.

...when they make a face when they ask for an ingredients list and the server brings a nutrition info sheet instead.

...when they whisper their order to the bartender (and it's really just seltzer with a slice of lime).

You spend 1/2 hour in the bacon aisle reading the ingredients and finally find one with no sugar in it and buy 4-6 packs, and the lady next to you

thinks you are crazy because it's the most expensive one in the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

• When a 30 minute drive to Trader Joe's is worth it just for the riced cauliflower alone.

When you don't mind paying $5.99 for 4 slices of compliant bacon.

When Ghee makes you giddy!

When you start researching restaurants that are Whole30 compliant and plan our your meals a month prior to traveling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!  My husband and I have our first Whole30 down and are continuing on because we feel amazing!!!  Given how much our health and our lifestyle has changed as a result of eating this way, I thought it might be fun to start making a list of all the fun and funny things that make us successful.  I'll start:

You know you're doing a Whole30 when: you're making your own compliant mayo at 7:00 in the morning before work, in order to stay on-plan that day.

(Which I happen to be doing right now.  LOL)

Archived