2 year old's birthday

OK, so I totally get that we are supposed to avoid the "sex with your pants on" type foods.  However, my 2 year old's birthday is coming up, and we spend the entire day celebrating with just that child.  I would love to be able to share a piece of cake or a mini cupcake with her on her big day.  Does anyone have any compliant recipes that are also nut free?  My son has a nut allergy and my daughter a milk one. 

I hate to not be able to share in this tradition.  If I can't find a recipe, I guess I will have to miss out, but I would really love to find something YUMMY  and compliant.

Help?

• Moderators

Now is a good time to start the tradition of celebrating birthdays with something other than cake. You may think cake is important to birthdays, but your 2 year old has not been brainwashed. For that matter, now is a good time to start the tradition of celebration not being about dessert. Celebrate by going to the park, the beach, or the pool for the day. 

You can have a special meal, but let it be special meat and veggies. You can have fruit. You can go to the store and get special fruit if that makes you happy, but don't perpetuate the myth encouraged by Betty Crocker and General Mills that you need cake to mark every new year. 

Now let me be clear from a Whole30 standpoint. There is no recipe for cake or cupcakes that is okay during a Whole30. And, we do not permit people to share recipes for cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc. for after the Whole30 here in the forum. I am the cake police. I remove recipes and issue citations when I find them. 

Now is a good time to start the tradition of celebrating birthdays with something other than cake. You may think cake is important to birthdays, but your 2 year old has not been brainwashed. For that matter, now is a good time to start the tradition of celebration not being about dessert. Celebrate by going to the park, the beach, or the pool for the day. 

You can have a special meal, but let it be special meat and veggies. You can have fruit. You can go to the store and get special fruit if that makes you happy, but don't perpetuate the myth encouraged by Betty Crocker and General Mills that you need cake to mark every new year. 

Now let me be clear from a Whole30 standpoint. There is no recipe for cake or cupcakes that is okay during a Whole30. And, we do not permit people to share recipes for cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc. for after the Whole30 here in the forum. I am the cake police. I remove recipes and issue citations when I find them. 

But... but... that's just like Hitler! (Went Godwin on you there. :-)

I can sympathize, my youngest just turned 2 and had a party this Saturday. The good thing is that at age 2 they don't really care if YOU eat the cake or not.

I usually serve my "illegal" desserts when we have guests with a side of fruit salad. Nobody really cares if I only eat the fruit salad. Strawberries are great this time of the year. Go wild!

Seriously consider what Tom has said.  If you are doing Whole30 to feel better or to just be healthier, don't we owe it to our kids to teach them how to eat healthy?  If the food is not good for our bodies, it is not good for theirs.

I have two teenagers and wish that I had know more about nutrition when they were younger.  Now, they are both overweight (mildly) and don't like to eat good healthy whole foods.  I struggle with feeling like a bit of a failure as a mom where their diet is concerned.  I have a rule in my house now - only healthy foods!  It doesn't help when they are at their dads half the week being served hot dogs and soda along with other processed stuff. 

Tom, well said.

My son is just over 3 yrs old now.  Between his birthdays and all of the birthday parties he's been to lately (it seems like once a week these days) - he refuses to eat cake, or anything sweet for that matter.  We always try to give it to him, it's not like we block it.  He just hates that stuff.  He goes to these parties and eats the veggies and fruit salads...and maybe a slice of pizza.  

Anyway we do buy a cake, but it's for the kids and maybe which ever parents have a sweet tooth.  But I am sure our kids won't be offended if we don't eat cake at their party...

Archived