Bathroom Issues

I think this is the first time posting in the forum although I've been reading throughout my journey :)

Alright so, this is probably TMI but before doing the Whole 30 I ate a typical "healthy SAD" diet - most meals were 4 oz protein, 4 oz whole grain, 4 - 6 oz veggie & possibly cheese or whatnot (I ate cheese in moderation, yogurt, beans, etc.)

I undertook a whole 30 to see if I had any food intolerances (I already knew I couldn't drink milk and used to buy the lactose free milk but, to my knowledge anyway, I was fine as long as I didn't consume a ton of yogurt and cheese in one day).  I'm currently on Day 30 (WOW just realized that) and I love it.  I did have a headache on Days 4 - 5 and a bit of fatigue for a day or two but other than that it's been great.

Honestly,  I don't really want to change my diet.  I haven't missed anything that I've cut out - although I'll probably relax the sugar restriction a bit - i.e. don't automatically skip a recipe that uses honey or maple syrup.

With that being said though - before doing Whole 30 I used to have 1 (possibly 2) BM a day and they would be (gah how do I say this is a non-gross way?!) one solid piece of a decent width/length.

Since switching to the Whole 30 though, I'm still going once a day, but they're skinny, little and broken up into multiple pieces versus one and that's the only negative I have about the whole program.

Do you think I'm just not getting enough fiber?  Should I be adding more starches or like, prunes on a daily basis? 

I've attached my 30 day meal plan, I made it before starting the program because I wanted to be 100% sure I stuck with it.  I have not deviated from this other than sometimes to switch the days of meals (i.e. if I forgot to defrost chicken I'd use a meat that was already deferosted).  I take a probiotic in the morning, Vitacost Healthy Bones Ultra at lunch, and fish oil with dinner.

April_2014_MealPlan.pdf

• Moderators

In the olden days, I ate as many as three big bowls of Fiber One cereal with soy milk every day. That produced solid length and width. Nowadays, I sometimes eat kale as often as three times per day, which is bordering on too much, but my bowel movements are nothing like they were in the olden days. The reality is that what we were used to was probably not normal or natural and that what you are experiencing now is more normal. I've been eating Whole30-style for 4 years now and I am beginning to understand that variety is normal. The consistency of the past was probably what was not normal. Sometimes I am more solid and sometimes less. I doubt you need more fiber in your diet. :)

This is exactly what I was searching for on the Forum.  I have the exact same issue.  And, it's like every morning, my body can't wait to get it out of me!  It is also floaty, which I heard was a good thing, but sometimes it is green.

Diane Sanfillipo (Balance Bites) says that can be a result of too much processed foods. But, if I'm following Whole 30, how can that be?

My diet typically looks like this:

Breakfast:

2 eggs/2 egg white omelet with spinach and/or roasted veggies from the night before (bok choy, onions, parsnips, cauliflower, brocollii, some sweet potato)

1 orange or grapefruit

sauerkraut

Lunch:

Salad with protein source (usually chicken or a "chef" salad with a boiled egg and turkey/ham), with oil and vinegar

small serving of fruit (10 grapes, for example)

Dinner:

Protein (chicken or steak)

Salad

roasted veggies

When I get hungry in the morning or afternoon, I usually try to work through it.  But, sometmes I will grab 2 celery sticks/boiled egg.  Or, an apple with a spoonful of almond butter.

Again, going #2 once in the morning, but like the above poster, they are small, broken up, sometimes green, and even sometimes I'll see a small food piece or two.  There is the occassional 2nd time of day BM.

I know this is gross, but can anyone shed some light?

I just wanted to post further, in case anyone else is having these same issues.

I found a milk-free probiotic that I started taking around Day 21.  It has really helped things get back to "normal."  I had resisted taking one, but after reading many posts on many website, I think it is the way to go.

I have noticed that what I ate can affect the color, I.e. Beets equals reddish color, lots of greens equals greenish color, etc. Before you worry about color, think about whether what went in may be affecting what is coming out.

I'm so glad someone brought up this topic. While not the most pleasant to talk about, it is part of life. I have experienced both diarrhea and constipation to the extreme. I'm on day 23 of the Whole 30 and eager to reintroduce yogurt and kefir probiotics back, as they always helped elimination problems before. I hate using Miralax, but have resorted to it, with little help. I feel weighed down right now with constipation. In the early days of the program I experienced more diarrhea and now the opposite. Haven't had much elimination success for 5 days now. Any suggestions? In examining what I've done, I suspect I just haven't eaten enough veggies. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm so glad someone brought up this topic. While not the most pleasant to talk about, it is part of life. I have experienced both diarrhea and constipation to the extreme. I'm on day 23 of the Whole 30 and eager to reintroduce yogurt and kefir probiotics back, as they always helped elimination problems before. I hate using Miralax, but have resorted to it, with little help. I feel weighed down right now with constipation. In the early days of the program I experienced more diarrhea and now the opposite. Haven't had much elimination success for 5 days now. Any suggestions? In examining what I've done, I suspect I just haven't eaten enough veggies. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Have you tried compliant probiotics like kombucha or sauerkraut? They can really help with digestive issues. (As with everything, check ingredients to make sure they don't have anything off-plan.) Also, here's a previous thread on magnesium.

And yes, definitely eat more veggies. :-)

Thanks! It makes me sad to think I've been doing this wrong. I struggle to eat enough veggies, because I truly don't like most of them and the same ones over and over is tiresome and boring. I hate sauerkraut. I did read a lot of the related threads and may try magnesium. Thanks for your help.

This is exactly what I was searching for on the Forum.  I have the exact same issue.  And, it's like every morning, my body can't wait to get it out of me!  It is also floaty, which I heard was a good thing, but sometimes it is green.

Diane Sanfillipo (Balance Bites) says that can be a result of too much processed foods. But, if I'm following Whole 30, how can that be?

My diet typically looks like this:

Breakfast:

2 eggs/2 egg white omelet with spinach and/or roasted veggies from the night before (bok choy, onions, parsnips, cauliflower, brocollii, some sweet potato)

1 orange or grapefruit

sauerkraut

Lunch:

Salad with protein source (usually chicken or a "chef" salad with a boiled egg and turkey/ham), with oil and vinegar

small serving of fruit (10 grapes, for example)

Dinner:

Protein (chicken or steak)

Salad

roasted veggies

When I get hungry in the morning or afternoon, I usually try to work through it.  But, sometmes I will grab 2 celery sticks/boiled egg.  Or, an apple with a spoonful of almond butter.

Again, going #2 once in the morning, but like the above poster, they are small, broken up, sometimes green, and even sometimes I'll see a small food piece or two.  There is the occassional 2nd time of day BM.

I know this is gross, but can anyone shed some light?

You might try adding some more fat to your meals and that should help with the morning/afternoon hunger and possibly your BMs as well. For example eat all 4 whole eggs instead of 2 eggs and 2 egg whites and maybe add some avocado to your lunch salads. Undigested food would suggest that you may be intolerant to something that is W30 compliant or that your gut is still healing itself. Also you might try eating more cooked than raw vegetables. It looks like you have a balance right now but maybe nix the dinner salad in favor of some sauteed greens instead. 

Thanks! It makes me sad to think I've been doing this wrong. I struggle to eat enough veggies, because I truly don't like most of them and the same ones over and over is tiresome and boring. I hate sauerkraut. I did read a lot of the related threads and may try magnesium. Thanks for your help.

If you don't like sauerkraut maybe try a different fermented vegetable. I was scared of sauerkraut so I started with raw fermented carrots instead. I also get fermented pickles (bubbies is a good brand). I found that once I tried real fermented sauerkraut it was actually pretty good and not anything like the pickled cooked stuff that is in the non-cold section of the store. 

On generally eating more vegetables sometimes you have to find the right prep method. Experiment with different cooking styles and try new things. I used to be very intolerant to vegetables until I made myself try stuff. I've found a lot of things that I love that I thought I hated. As you continue down this path your palette will change too so if maybe you tried something this week and didn't like it wait a couple of weeks and try it again.

Try "hiding" veggies in your dishes, as in burgers or meatballs with finely minced veggies, thick veggie soups, frittatas and egg scrambles, purees, etc. These might go down easier for you.

And you haven't been doing it wrong. We all make adjustments as we go along. Midway through my Whole30, I was told I wasn't eating enough veggies myself. And I knew I was letting fruit push away veggies in my breakfast dishes. So I adjusted; so can you. It's still forward progress.

Good luck!

That's part of my issue - these BMs will be small and little and it makes me feel semi-constipated - like there's more but it's just not happening.  I'm going to try to add a two prunes at lunch plus up my fermented foods a bit (here I come kimchi!) per the advice above.  Thanks all!

So glad someone is talking about this. . .I am on day 23 and my weekly diarrhea and painful cramping has been alarming at times.  I have never had BM issues in my life, until the last  23 days.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?  I have followed the program and ate lots of veggies, protein, etc.  Anyone else?  thanks!

So glad someone is talking about this. . .I am on day 23 and my weekly diarrhea and painful cramping has been alarming at times.  I have never had BM issues in my life, until the last  23 days.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?  I have followed the program and ate lots of veggies, protein, etc.  Anyone else?  thanks!

Sorry about the difficulties you've had. There are some adjustments that take place when you overhaul your diet through Whole30. Are you eating a lot of raw veggies? That can sometimes cause gastrointestinal distress to someone who is not used to it. In which case, try eating more cooked veggies. Are you eating lots of nuts and seeds? Same thing; if you are, it might be a good idea to cut down.

If you can, try listing a couple days worth of your meals, sleep, water intake, activities, and stress levels. That might give some of the more experienced people in these forums an idea of tweaks you can make.

Archived