McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

I completed my first Whole 30 over Lent.  While I didn't feel like I had any super drastic results I did manage to lose a few pounds (still have a few more left to lose), cure myself of all my stomach issues, and feel really good about what I was eating.

In reintro I learned that wheat makes me bloated and crampy, chickpeas and brown rice give me a stomachache, and some dairy (soft cheeses) makes me stuffed up.  I did ok with white rice, corn, oats, butter, and cream.  

So looking forward at what I want my diet to look like I am thinking that I'd like to stick with the basic Whole 30 template, with occasional butter/cream and non-gluten grains and occasional indulgences like wine and dark chocolate (my two favorites!).  True off-roading with something like a cupcake will have to super super special because I know my stomach will pay for it.  I feel good armed with this knowledge about what food does to my body.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a bunch of stomach issues but not sure it is related to what I'm eating.  My littlest has had a stomach bug and I'm thinking maybe I caught it.  My stomach has been off for a good 24 hours now.  I'm eating and hungry but after I eat I don't feel well.  Yuck!

So I'm struggling again with afternoon hunger.  I had this problem throughout my Whole 30 and some days I managed to go without a snack but often I had to eat something around 3 pm or so in the afternoon (usually nuts!).  It dawned on me after my Whole 30 that maybe my problem was a lack of added fat.  I kept increasing the protein portions in my lunch but that never did it.  But what should I be adding that will work?  I'm posting a sample day:

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/ghee and coconut flakes, coffee w/almond milk and/or coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover dinner from night before -- chicken breasts and green beans (two cups total), apple

Snack:  starving at 3 pm, I banned nuts from my office so I had to have a Lara bar

Did you have any fat with your lunch?  I eat almost the same breakfast as you, but add a big pile of kale or other greens when I'm cooking the eggs.  Lunch is usually tuna (in olive oil), 1/2 an avocado and a huge salad of veggies.  I'd suggest adding some sort of fat to your lunch.  With that particular lunch, mayo to dip the chicken and green beans would be great.  Or, just pack an avocado or a handful of olives.  That almost always holds me until lunch.  On the rare occasions that I find I need an afternoon snack, I can usually point back to a lunch without enough fat. 

So I'm struggling with a couple things.  Mostly sugar!  It is really a habit thing for me because I tend to eat some candy at work where it's lying out but then when I'm home on the weekend I don't eat it.  I really need to just go cold turkey on the sugar for awhile I think.  I also feel like I'm having white rice a little too often so I need to cut back on that.

Other than those two things I'm still doing very well going gluten-free.  It's much easier than I would have thought!  And I'm pretty much avoiding dairy, although I get small bits of it now and then.  

I should start posting menus to make sure I'm staying on track.  I want to lose about 5-10 pounds so I also need to figure out what to do to make that happen.

Sugar is the worst for me too.  It also seems to trigger more cravings.  We had ate out for Chinese the other night and I had the worst cravings after.  It was a super sweet dish and I found it to be not satisfying at all.  An hour later I felt like I hadn't eaten all day.

You should join a few of us on a no sugar challenge.  I can't commit to another W30 - it's just too much of a pain sometimes.  But, I can commit to no sweets.  My goal is all summer (I'm giving myself a handful of exceptions for something fabulous).  It makes it so much easier to say no when my mindset is already there.  Then, as long as I skip the sweets, I can have whatever else I feel like having so the pressure is off if I'm eating out or with friends.  It is leading to much more calm eating, which is my ultimate goal.

I think that would be a good idea.  I was able to do during my Whole 30 of course and then now that I can have the candy, I feel like that means I MUST have it.  For the next three days at work I'm committing to no eating candy at work and then I may commit to a longer no candy period!

Ugh.  So I was rushed this morning and my breakfast was too small leading me to be starving way too early.  I was all out of acceptable snacks (I usually keep nuts and Lara bars for emergencies) and all I had was a Fiber One granola bar from my pre-Whole 30 days.  I knew it was full of bad stuff, but I thought that maybe because it was oat-based rather than wheat-based I'd be okay.  Boy was I wrong.  My stomach has been killing me for two hours.  Lesson learned -- I'll be stocking up on emergency snacks this weekend!

Sorry, but I had to laugh.  I made that excact mistake soon after ending my first W30, too.  Bethany kindly told me to throw away all the processed junk in my drawer at work. LOL  I now keep larabars in the work freezer (I eat them so seldom they go bad if I keep them in the drawer) and a tin or two of emergency tuna. 

Jen -- it is funny (and would be funnier if my stomach wasn't still hurting!).  I read some of your log and it's very helpful.  I need to start logging my food and being accountable.  

So I have family in town through the early part of next week.  After they leave I am going to set some goals:

1)  No more sugar (gotta stop raiding the candy dish at work and should also curb the nightly dark chocolate habit)

2)  Go to bed by 10:30 at the latest (last night I stayed up until midnight and was woken up by my older son at 6 am -- NOT GOOD!)

3)  Exercise once a week (I'm starting REALLY small.  I used to exercise five times a week -- serious cardio classes or weight training and now I do none of that.  I walk a lot but I need some real cardio or weight lifting).

I have a bunch of family meals and meals out this weekend where I'll stay as on-track as possible and then come Tuesday I go ahead with my new goals.  Hopefully this will also help with the weight loss.  I'm hoping to lose 10 and I'm down about 3, which is pretty much where I was at the end of the Whole 30!

I need to join you for the no more sugar goal.  I am doing terrible at it and my family is not helping.  My mother came home from church yesterday with two pies and two dozen cookies.  Ugh!!!

I actually like all three of your goals.  I was balancing my checkbook yesterday and cringed as I subtracted my monthly gym membership.  At this point I am just throwing the money away but my fear is if I cancel the membership I will never go back.

Ok, family visits are over!  I know I overindulged a bit, but overall I'm still pretty proud of myself.  I was at a party on Saturday and there was very little I could eat so I had some nuts, meat from inside sandwiches (threw away bread), and fruit.  Then there were these fancy desserts and I helped myself to two bites.  Yay for only two bites!  And last night I did some weight training at home.  Nothing big but baby steps.  I won't get on the scale yet because it was just depress me but I'll maybe do it the end of this week.

Today . . . 

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/ghee and coconut flakes, coffee w/almond milk (I'd like to add some non-starchy veggies to my morning but I'm always so rushed!)

Lunch:  pork tenderloin, large green salad w/vinegar and olive oil, avocado

Snack:  lara bar

Dinner: leftover hamburger, carrots w/baba ganoush, leftover pork tenderloin, small glass of wine

Workout:  nothing scheduled, walked 8800 steps

So I thought I was doing well yesterday by adding an avocado to my lunch but I still got hungry at 3 pm.  This time I had brought Lara bars so I had something, although I prefer to have Lara bars as an emergency, not a regular thing.  I got to thinking about it and I think maybe I shouldn't beat myself up over snacks so much.  I'd like to bring another small meal that I can have if I get hungry.  While I would love to get to the point where I don't need a snack if I know I'm eating the right foods and sticking to the template I have to be ok if I get hungry and need something mid-afternoon.  I was also exhausted yesterday.  I had gone to sleep at 10:30 pm per my plan but I was absolutely wrecked by the end of the day.  I guess I just need to catch up on sleep!

Today's plan:

Breakfast:   three scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/ghee and coconut flakes, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  going out because I have a meeting, going to get a large cobb salad from Chop't without the cheese

Pre-Dinner Snack (6 pm):  carrots w/baba ganoush, spoonful of sunbutter

Dinner:  chicken w/broccoli and cauliflower made with gluten free soy sauce and ginger (used very little soy sauce, ran out of coconut aminos), white rice, small glass of white wine

Workout:  Didn't get in weight lifting, but did walk over 10,000 steps

Have you tried just ignoring the hungry at 3?  I still get a pang in the afternoon sometimes, but I've learned that it's not real and that if I ignore it, it goes away and I make it just fine until dinner. 

That said, for me, calm eating is really the goal.  So, if that means being ok with the snack over stressing about it, I say be ok with the snack.  I've wasted way too much time in the past year of W30ish (and even more in the many years of logging and couting before that) stressing about what I'm eating.  It's not worth it.

Lack of sleep always makes me hungrier and snackier, too. 

Jen, I DID IT!!!!!!  I felt a bit hungry (not nearly as bad as the day before) but I just pushed through and I didn't eat!  The hunger didn't completely go away but it definitely peaked at 3 pm and then went down a bit.  I did have to snack at 6 pm because we didn't have dinner until 8:30 pm and that was just too long since I had lunch at noon, but I figure that is a WIN!

So proud of myself for not snacking yesterday!  Yay me!!!!  Will try again today.  Also moving into Day 3 of no sugar and so far so good!

I know that people on this forum refer to the meals as "meal 1" versus "breakfast" but breakfast has always been my favorite meal so I like to keep calling it breakfast.  While I've never been into the super sweet breakfast (e.g. a sticky bun) because I always have a sugar crash, I do enjoy the warm comforting breakfast. I used to always have oatmeal but now my warm sweet potato does the trick and I always enjoy my coffee!

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/ghee and coconut flakes, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken and broccoli with a small portion of rice, chorizo sausage (my protein is too small so hopefully the supplement will help), avocado

Dinner:  ham, salad, roasted butternut squash

Workout:  too tired and my steps weren't great either, just below 8000

Great job!  It might take some time, so be patient with yourself, but you might find that you don't need to snack after a while.  I was an every 2-3 hour eater.  I HAD to have a snack with me at all times.  If I got hungry, I couldn't concentrate on anything until I ate something.  I'm amazed that I now very rarely snack and can ignore "fake" hungry feelings.  It took a while, though.  Be proud!  And NS day 3 is great!

Jen, I did another day without snacks!  So proud of myself! 

I have been crazy exhausted this week though.  I am making a point of going to bed earlier so I'm actually getting more sleep but I'm more tired!  I think I'm probably just recovering from all the craziness of the past couple of weeks, but it's been hard just getting through the days.

Today:

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover sliced ham, grapes, bite of sunbutter

Dinner:  Indian take-out, chicken tikka w/white rice

Workout:  nothing but walking, but did walk over 13,000 steps

On to NS day 5!  I still miss it right after dinner when I would have my chocolate but I want to do this a bit longer to get out of the habit even if I return to having it occasionally.  I was going to do another Whole 30 maybe before going on vacation but that's only a month away!  Ah!  How did it sneak up on me?  Maybe I'll do a Whole Less Than 30.  Or maybe I can keep doing what I'm doing . . . haven't decided.

Breakfast:  sauteed kale w/3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/heavy cream (this wasn't that hard on my stomach but felt a little worse than almond or coconut milk)

Lunch:  ham and butternut squash, popcorn with my son

Dinner:  beef tenderloin, salad

Missed posting yesterday -- lots of kid time.  We went to Mass and the pool and I did a bunch of gardening.  Love it!  I did, however, get on the scale today and my weight was up to higher than it was during the Whole 30!  Ah!  I really want to settle into a nice appropriate weight and that doesn't seem to be happening, at least yet.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  

Yesterday:

Breakfast:  sauteed kale w/3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  large salad w/vinegar and olive oil, leftover beef tenderloin, few carrots and baba ganoush

Dinner:  we were out at the pool and I got this Asian salad that ended up having peanuts and some kind of noodle in it (there weren't a lot of either, but I was definitely "off" after eating it).  Still hungry after coming home and had some nut butter (probably not a good go-to!) and an apple

Exercise:  just walking and gardening and swimming, nothing structured

Today:

Breakfast:  sauteed kale w/3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:   leftover beef tenderloin, carrots, baba ganoush

Dinner:  hosting a small BBQ.  We have burgers so I'll have one bunless or using tomato slices and lettuce as my bun, our guests are bringing watermelon salad, I also treated a bit with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert and some sparkling wine

Workout:  weight lifting

Ok, so one week since I started tracking my food.  I feel like I had more off-Whole 30 items last week than usual but maybe I'm in denial about how often I have them.  Looking back I had no gluten, a very small amount of dairy (heavy whipping cream in my coffee one day and for dessert yesterday), a very small amount of legumes (a few peanuts and gluten free soy sauce one night), but about five servings of non-gluten grains -- white rice three times, popcorn once, and some tortilla chips yesterday.  I also had wine several nights.  So I don't know if this is bad or not . . . would love feedback.

I think I'm doing decently in terms of the template -- I don't have a lot of fruit and I usually have about two servings of starches each day (a sweet potato for breakfast always and often something with dinner or lunch).  I did get more sleep than usual last week by going to bed earlier (yay!), did avoid sugar (with the exception of last night's whipped cream), but my workouts are still lacking.

We have a family vacation coming up in a month and I'd love to be bikini acceptable . . . 

Today:

Lunch:  went to a burger place, got a salmon burger (no bun) with a side salad and had a few sweet potato fries

6 pm pre-dinner snack:  baby carrots w/baba ganoush (I think I have this every day!), few corn chips)

Dinner:  paleo pad thai w/rice noodles, white wine

Workout:  it is SO hot here today, not sure what I can manage!

Archived