Fermented Food List

cckern928

From what I understand, around 2T of fermented foods with each meal will help with your gut transition to whole food eating.  There is a lot of scattered info on fermented foods.  Can we start a one-stop list of compliant fermented foods?

Possible Fermented Foods with compliant ingredients:

Kimchi

Sauerkraut

Beet Kvass

(What about Pickled foods (pickles, herring, etc) or Olives? Tea? Coffee?)

• Moderators

I drink kombucha.

Some pickles are fermented. Many are not. Bubbies sells good fermented pickles.

Whole Foods sells coconut kefir, but I stopped buying it because something was wrong with it several bottles in a row and I got tired of trying. 

By the way, I moved this topic to Sourcing Good Food where it belongs. 

Funny you should mention pickles. I just tasted one from my first home-fermented batch. Delicious!

My guess is that most pickles you'll find in the grocery store are not fermented. If they are fermented, they'll probably be labeled as such...maybe?

Fermented carrots, beets, and cabbage (of course) are great. I drink lots of kombucha too. Water kefir is good also.

Edited to add: I eat a lot of fermented foods. Much more than 2 Tbsp per meal. I hope I'm not overdoing it!

I make my own coconut kefir - once you find the grains it's pretty easy.  I use it with berries and also in dips, sauces, dressings... I don't much care for it plain however. 

If you are really super strictly avoiding dairy it wouldn't work for you though - the grains need to rest in cow's milk between culturing sessions in coconut milk (they can kefir coconut milk but they eat lactose, so they need to be fed lactose in between culturing coconut).  Unfortunately my family won't drink or use the regular kefir so I dump it out - when I get to reintroductions one of the things I'll try is to see if I can tolerate dairy-based kefir, it would be more convenient and less wasteful to be able to just use it straight instead of just the coconut version. 

Bubbies is the only brand of properly fermented pickles and sauerkraut out there that I've ever heard of (unless you can find a local brand or get some from a farmers market or something) None of the other big national brands are fermented. One way you can tell is if the ingredients list vinegar, that means they are NOT fermented. Fermented pickles rely on the bacteria producing lactic acid for the tang, so the ingredients would only be cucumbers, filtered water, salt, and whatever spices, herbs it might have (dill, garlic, coriander, etc) It's called "Lacto-fermentation" not because there is any lactose in it, but because of lactic acid production, and because the primary bacteria involved are lactobacillus.

Yeah, I've been wondering if some food from Asia (aside from kim chi) fit the list of fermented food as defined here: atsara from the Philippines, do chua from Vietnam. They seem to be preserved the same way as sauerkraut and kim chi, but I don't know if there is the same kind of microorganism cultures in them as in sauerkraut and kim chi.

• Moderators

Fermented foods with live cultures have to be kept  refrigerated, so you will only find them in the refrigerator section of stores. Canned sauerkraut may have begun life as live cultured, but the canning kills the cultures and leaves you with just the taste. So, your field of possibilities is narrowed to stuff that is sold cold. And if it is fermented, it should say so on the bottle or bag. 

I eat a big serving of sauerkraut at breakfast every morning and at least one bottle of kombucha later in the day. I include fermented pickle in my salmon or tuna salad several days per week. This would be too much for someone with histamine intolerance, but I have been doing fine with it for several years now. 

Archived