terrified... tight trousers this morning

First, I want to say that I am NOT measuring or weighing myself.

This morning, I was getting dressed, and noticed my pants were more snug in the hips than usual. This really concerns me... I am trying to break bad habbits picked up (and encouraged) through a mainstream weight loss program (such as being obsessed with weight and weighing myself), and it seriously terrifies me that I might gain weight... I am still obsese, but have lost a little over 200lbs, and I do NOT want to go back there.

Is it "against program" to try to cut back on the ammount of food I am eating, or should I wait to see if this passes?

I weight train 4 days a week, with three days of cardio, and one day of yoga (working out 6 days, with one day of rest), so I wanted to be sure I am eating enough.

All this said, for the first time ever, I have no desire to snack! My sleep is more restful, and I feel that my performance in the gym has improved.

I am just worried about gaining body fat.

• Moderators

Just follow the meal planning guide - protein the size of the palm of your hand, as much fat as your thumb, and fill the rest of the plate up with veggies - and you will be okay. And if you are hungry, eat more. As much protein as twice the size of your palm.

Honestly, you might find it easier to lose weight if you reduced the volume of exercise you are doing. As in, keep the weight training and yoga and stop the cardio completely. Once upon a time, I came in second in a fat loss competition while I was lifting weights and running 35 miles per week. I competed again while running just 5 miles per week and won. Exercising as much as you are tends to put your body in conservation mode where it stores as much fat as possible and burns as little energy as possible. If you eat generously and do not exercise too much, your body can relax and start burning more energy. I know what I am saying sounds wrong, but this is not a phenomenon limited to me. Too much exercise and eating too little makes the body cautious about burning energy.

I think it was on Balanced Bites I heard that women often get stressed about body fat and together with over doing the exercise, this raises your cortisol levels, which encourages your body to hold on to the fat you are stressing to get rid of!

another perspective: if you're lifting weights and doing squat/deadlifts/lunges, your clothes getting tight around your hips could be from muscle development, which is a good change.

I agree with the dropping of cardio too

Thanks, everyone!

Tom Denham:I do currently follow the recommended portion estimates from ISWF. As far as cardio is concerned, should I, at least for now, cut it out entirely, or is it okay to walk?

Derval: I have heard that, too, from multiple sources. I don't handle stress as well as I should, but I am working on it.

Renee Lee:If it is muscle development, I don't mind. Last week, in particular, I did a lot of squats (jump squats, weighted jump squats, body weight squats, weghted squats). It didn't occur to me that one week of heavy leg work would have that much of an impact on my hips.

I'll lay off the cardio for a while. Thanks again, everyone! :)

Walking should be fine as long as you're not trying to push your heart rate too much. Make it a nice relaxing time for yourself - that should only help the cause more!

And Renee is totally right - one week of leg work, especially with heavy weight, can make a difference. Especially if you're experiencing any temporary swelling (my muscles swell for a day or two after a good heavy lifting session).

PS: 200 lbs?!?!?!? That's freaking amazing. You are a champion, my friend!

Robin Strathdee: Thank you! The weighted jump squats were 44lbs, and the weighted squats were either 70lbs or 52lbs (ended up going lighter in the last two rounds). I will try the pants on again later this week. :)

Yeah, 200lbs gone. I still want to improve body composition, but I LOVE being able to do things I wasn't physically capapble of doing before! :D

Congratulations for losing 200 lbs!! That is awesome, and certainly took a lot of effort and determination on your part. Seriously, I think that is so cool.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with your whole 30, but I can share with you that I have cut back on my exercising and seriously increased (and majorly prioritized) my sleep. Before my W30 I was obsessing over calories, carbs, weights & measures (of food and myself) and constantly working out. I feel like a new person letting go of the gym so much and just eating good food. I hope you will find a good balance that works for you. I think the W30 is important as a "reset" in as many facets of your life as you can make it.

And Renee is totally right - one week of leg work, especially with heavy weight, can make a difference. Especially if you're experiencing any temporary swelling (my muscles swell for a day or two after a good heavy lifting session).

This! A heavy leg week can totally make everything swell/retain water as it heals and rebuilds. Don't get discouraged!

Laura B: Thanks! I feel that I am having overall success with Whole30. I was worried about my tight pants. I, too, have become obsessed with counting, measuring, and tracking- it was what my last food program (sounds better than "diet") was built on. I know that the obsession isn't healthy, and an effort to correct this behavior.

I have read about the "chronic cardio" people, but I never thought I was one of them! I admit, it would be nice to have a little more time to relax. :)

GLC1968: Thank you for the encoragement. I am feeling so much better since posting on the forum. Everyone here is AWESOME!

LOL These are just basic dress pants. And, for what it is worth, I am wearing them right now. They fit this morning, so I am inclined to believe that last week's squat-heavy workouts had something to do with it.

What a relief! Lesson learned: No more jumping to conclusions about my pants. Stressing only makes it worse!

Emily: Thank you!

Archived