June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

I'm starting my first 30 days tomorrow. Been doing lots of reading. Have a question though, can you eat ham? Like baked lean ham by the slice? Not deli ham?

You have to be really careful with ham. Almost all ham has sugar added to it. I believe US Wellness meats may sell compliant ham or a local farm or something, but in general it's extremely difficult to find. I would save ham for after your Whole30. I definitely ate it when I was just doing paleo and not a strict whole30. Once you clean the sugar out from your body you really notice the sugar in ham though. Try ground pork with sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Or grilled pork chops. Yummy pork alternatives.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting tomorrow too. This will be my second whole 30...I did my first one 3 years ago and at the end of the 30 days I felt amazing! I have slid backwards to eating poorly and am heavily addicted to coffee with a bucketload of cream & sugar. I have been weaning myself from the coffee over the last week in preparation for tomorrow. I'm not gonna lie, the food is the easy part for me (as long as I prepare) but I will miss my coffee! I know that food prep was my maker or breaker so I'm spending the day prepping my food.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress and using this forum to keep myself accountable :)

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Hi :-) 

I'm in Australia also and my partner and I are embarking on our first Whole 30 tomorrow - June 1st.

My reason for doing this is to hopefully get rid of a tendonitis that I have been carrying for nearly a year now that I havent been able to cure with rest or physio. I'm really interested to see how I feel at the end of the Whole 30.

I'm looking forward to seeing the June 1 starters progress!

Vicki

I've had tendonitis and bursitis both get healed because of removing gluten and the majority of sugar from my diet. It will help. :)

It took longer than 30 days for the tendonitis (roughly 6-8 months), but the bursitis was gone pretty quickly.

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to see this thread.

This will be my second Whole30, but the first one was a LONG time ago -- November 2012. I ate primarily Paleo before and after that (although with some deviation because I was running half marathons and needed the carbs), until I got pregnant in January 2013. My daughter was born in October 2013 and I've been struggling ever since. I could explain with a million excuses, but they don't matter really.

What does matter is: I want to stop "needing" sugar and carbs all the time. I want to lose this pregnancy weight. I LOVE my life as a working mom, but I want to feel a little more like the half marathoner I was before.

So I'm ready to get back into Paleo, and I know that a W30 is the perfect way to do it. No pussy-footing around it - I can be so much better than this.

Here's what I'm really worried about: No coffee for 30 days (because I just can't drink it without cream). I know I'm looking at a 5-day long headache and that's going to be tough.

Hello Everyone,

I was happy to find this thread!  I'm new to Whole30 but I've been transitioning to a Paleo diet since I started Crossfit a few weeks ago.  I was recently told that I have pre-diabetes so my overall goal is to develop some healthy eating habits that help me lower my blood sugar levels and to lose several pounds.

I'm nervous and excited to get started. 

I'd like to join. Think I need a group. I did 10 days but had a couple of hiccups. But I learned a lot so I'm all in the next 30.

Basically if I was still hungry after dinner I went a little crazy on other food. Now I know to eat mini meal duh, right? It's hard work to undo years of self sabotage.

Group accountability and motivation will help!

Ani

I'm new to the program and will be starting tomorrow, June 1st, as well. So nice to have you all along for the ride. I've always eaten healthy. I have a gluten allergy, which frankly has helped me keep my weight in check. However, since having my daughter a year ago, I cannot seem to lose the last 5-6 lbs. I know that this program is the way to get it done!

Why is coffee taboo? I can understand why the creamer and sugar, but why black coffee?

(I am not a coffee drinker, just curious)

Why is coffee taboo? I can understand why the creamer and sugar, but why black coffee?

Coffee is allowed. I drink it every morning. One cup

Hey there everybody,

I'm gonna join your happy June-1st-party if you don't mind!

I've been a long-term (reeeally long term) vegan for ethical reasons but I'm gonna give this thing a try for health reasons (gonna try to buy as local and sustainable as possible to feel halfway ok with it).

I don't want to lose any weight. Quite the contrary: I wouldn't mind packing up some sexy muscle. ;)

I've been eating not that bad, compared to the general population (and junk food vegans). I love my veggies and I've never liked doughy stuff like bread. I guess I've been (as good as) glutenfree "accdentally". My biggest vice is my ginormous bubblegum and candy addiction (it's BAAAD). While my "meals" are pretty healthy usually, I eat shit-tons of crappy sweets in the office (I have this terrible habit that there always needs to be *something* in my mouth to chew on - super not-sexy!) and I have a major coffee problem ever since I found out how delicious coffee+coconut milk is, haha.

I wish you all good luck (and fun!). I'm sure we can do this together! :)

A little late to the June 1st party, but still in time! I'm starting my Whole30 tomorrow, after spending about 2 1/2 months coming up with excuses about why I couldn't possibly start.

I'm trying to do this with two kids who are addicted to PB&J and milk, a 150% full schedule of work and school, and a deployed husband. Hey at least I don't have to cook for him too, right!?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cram as much chocolate into my food hole as I can before midnight.

My husband and I are starting tomorrow too (well, our 3 and 4 year-old daughters are too, except they have no choice in the matter... ) and we are really excited and super nervous! We have a fridge stocked FULL of produce and meat and healthy fats and it's going to be a really different way of eating for us. We are very addicted to sugar and my husband is to caffeine and my kids LOVE their sweets! It will be difficult but so worth it! Excited to be part of a support group!

Oh, it's not that coffee is forbidden. I just cannot stand the taste of it black, so I'll just have to go without it. I'm VERY sensitive to bitter flavors and there is nothing more bitter tasting than coffee, IMO.

I've been a long-term (reeeally long term) vegan for ethical reasons but I'm gonna give this thing a try for health reasons (gonna try to buy as local and sustainable as possible to feel halfway ok with it).

Are you giving up veganism for the Whole30, or are you planning on eating mostly vegetarian? I'd be super curious to hear how that goes, because I just can't figure out how it'd work!

I am starting Whole30 today for the first time.  I have been eating paleo since January but haven't noticed a lot of weight loss as I have been GF and DF for years.  I recently tried LCHF/keto diet but found that was too restricting for my lifestyle and i had "Keto Flu" for the whole month I was on it - instead of having the energy everyone was raving about I was in bed and asleep most nights by 2000hrs and awake and lethargic in the morning.  From my research on Whole30 I can still have the vegetables I have been craving (sweet potato and butternut squash especially).

I have seen some amazing progress and food shots through #whole30 on Instagram, so here is hoping that I can add to that.  I have a fair few weddings coming up in the next year and would love to drop 30kgs but more importantly relearn to appreciate the good foods (I LOVE cooking) and reintroduce a healthy lifestyle.  

I am very excited there is a support forum, and I will be posting and reading here regularly.

Here's to a successful June for us all!!

Hi Whole30 Crew,

Starting tomorrow as well. I am trying to be positive, but it is very tough. My biggest issue is time. 

I work just about every night from Midnight to 8am. Then I leave and hit the Gym (2 to 4 days a week) After the gym I take a 45-1 hour drive to my office for a business I own. Then work there for the day. Leave there head home, take a nap, off to work at 11.

So my biggest challenges are eating when I'm tired ON THE GO and Going out to Eat. I am going to try to eat Fruits and Vegs (Vegs: Cucumbers, Raw Bell Pepers) while I am driving and tired. 

But could too much fruits be bad? like Blackberrys, Kiwi's and or cherrys??

Could I eat to much nuts??

Also what about the meals. I have been skipping breakfast (or moving it) to lunch.

So my

1st meal would be a snack on the road to office

2nd Breakfast at 12 ot 1pm

3rd Dinner at 6 or 7pm

4th Snack at 10/11 in route to work

5th Soup & grilled chicken kabab (with pita) at 2am

6th Carmel machetto at 7am

Then start all over, except when I take staff out for lunch or dinner, a client out etc....

I am also hopping NO Energy drinks will make me fall off the wagon.

I am gonna also try organic shops that make fruit smoothes with cocunut milk, I guess

Any good fact s to follow??? Anyone???

I want to stop "needing" sugar and carbs all the time.

Here's what I'm really worried about: No coffee for 30 days (because I just can't drink it without cream). I know I'm looking at a 5-day long headache and that's going to be tough.

I felt the same way about coffee that you feel about carbs! I quit coffee in December, never looked back. :-) It was much easier than I thought, too!

Hi Leeobee - that's such a full on schedule... It sounds like intermittent fasting might be the way to go for you, and I think you might need more protein!

Are you getting enough sleep? What goals are you hoping to reach with whole30?

My Goals are to be healther, eat better, lose weight.

I do have my time to play golf and go out.

I do sleep, just not a full 8 hours and not all at one time. sometime one day a week I crash and sleep for 10 hours.

Fasting, just not eating. I did things like that when I was 20, but its much hard now.

I feel horrible today after eating candy yesterday. That was REALLY dumb. But...it makes me SO anxious to do this challenge again. I am hoping to make it a *lifestyle* this time, rather than "something I do for 30 days".

I actually started today, although I had more fruit than I normally eat. But tomorrow is OFFICIAL DAY 1. I'm hoping ALL of us have a successful 30 days and more!  :)

I am starting my first Whole30 tomorrow as well. The fridge is stocked with lots of healthy food and I am excited. That being said, I am nervous about giving up the coffee with the flavored creamer. However, my health needs this change and I have a great support partner, so we will encourage each other. :)

Oh, it's not that coffee is forbidden. I just cannot stand the taste of it black, so I'll just have to go without it. I'm VERY sensitive to bitter flavors and there is nothing more bitter tasting than coffee, IMO.

Why don't you drink it with coconut milk?

Since this is my 3rd Whole30 and I've been pretty strict paleo since starting this last July my goals this time are to quit my scale obsession (again), and do a daily evening meditation/visualization. In my 2nd whole 30 in February, I was able to make and keep my goal of working out 2 mornings a week, and I'm so much stronger now. I'm going to continue those two mornings and make it a goal to do something active on the weekends with my family. Looking forward to ending my first year of paleo with a bang!

I just posted above but I forgot to ask these two questions!

First, how do you pronounce ghee? And where do you buy it? Can you buy it or do you just have to clarify your own butter at home? If you can buy it, what stores carry it and what section would it be in? We're in Utah near Costco, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Also, has anyone who has done it before had any experience with (or know of someone) doing the whole30 while nursing? My son is almost 4 months and we're about to go in for his checkup next week. I am pretty sure he hasn't been gaining weight this past month like he should and I'm pretty sure it's bc I have a VERY slow letdown/low milk supply. I just started drinking Mother's Milk Herb Tea (w my pediatrician's permission), like 2 days ago, to try to increase my supply. But I'm also hoping that changing my diet helps too. Does anyone in this thread have any experience with that?

I'm guessing I could search the forums on here, but I'd rather ask my new June 1st friends! :)

Archived