June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

I just posted above but I forgot to ask these two questions!

First, how do you pronounce ghee? And where do you buy it? Can you buy it or do you just have to clarify your own butter at home? If you can buy it, what stores carry it and what section would it be in? We're in Utah near Costco, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Also, has anyone who has done it before had any experience with (or know of someone) doing the whole30 while nursing? My son is almost 4 months and we're about to go in for his checkup next week. I am pretty sure he hasn't been gaining weight this past month like he should and I'm pretty sure it's bc I have a VERY slow letdown/low milk supply. I just started drinking Mother's Milk Herb Tea (w my pediatrician's permission), like 2 days ago, to try to increase my supply. But I'm also hoping that changing my diet helps too. Does anyone in this thread have any experience with that?

I'm guessing I could search the forums on here, but I'd rather ask my new June 1st friends! :)

Dear kaseydear,

Ghee rhymes with key. I buy it at Trader Joe's, but the really nice stuff is at Whole Foods and comes with a pretty high price tag. I mostly just use coconut and olive oils. Definitely buy coconut oil at Costco.although I do love ghee in garlic mashed fauxtatoes aka, mashed cauliflower.

As to the breastfeeding thing, a low supply support group I was in last year is how I found out about the Whole30 in the first place, so hopefully that will help your supply. There is also a forum category called Whole30 while pregnant or nursing I believe. That would be a great place to ask these questions. When I started the Whole30, my son had already weaned so I can't attest to it increasing supply. Check that page and also check with an IBCLC. I found that the Motherlove brand supplements of more milk plus, and goats rúe helped me. Good luck.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am IN! I have completed three Whole30s and a variety of Whole5s, 10, etc., but I always, always go back to SAD land. I am a food addict and when I am on W30 I feel FREE and amazing, but the second I try to go it on my own, I lose control. 

I am excited to start tomorrow - I stocked up on some of my favorite compliant foods yesterday, so I'm good to go!

Hi everyone, my name is Nicole. I just finished day 1. I had to work today and realized that I need to bring MORE food with me! Grilled chicken and veggies don't cut it.

I was so hungry when I got home at 7 that I broiled a steak and whipped up my first batch of paleo ranch dressing and went to town on some broccoli and cucumbers while the steak was cooking. Umm mmm delicious. I even but some on my steak. LOL

Definitely need the fat content to keep me full it would seem. Other than that, a pretty good day other than my failure to make hard boiled eggs properly.

Nice to be here everyone. HAVE A GREAT DAY 1!!!

Are you giving up veganism for the Whole30, or are you planning on eating mostly vegetarian? I'd be super curious to hear how that goes, because I just can't figure out how it'd work!

Hi Mads,

I'm giving up veganism for my Whole30. 

I will definitely go back to being vegan afterwards if I don't see my health problems resolving by these changes in my diet though. I do, however, realize that I probably can't make up for many many years of wreaking havoc on my poor body (and I don't only mean veganism) within 30 days, so I gave myself the rest of 2014 to figure something out, really focussing on my health and putting any ethical concerns to the side for a while. Not sure yet where this may lead me. One step at a time. 

Hi Leeobee - that's such a full on schedule... It sounds like intermittent fasting might be the way to go for you, and I think you might need more protein!

Are you getting enough sleep? What goals are you hoping to reach with whole30?

As far as I know, intermittent fasting is supposed to be for people who are otherwise healthy and have everything in a row? Not being an expert here, but maybe this would only pile some extra stress on your body, with your already exhausting schedule. Sure the mods/pros can help you with this.

I know from my own experience that the truth that I know deep down usually is "my life is too f*ing stressful, it's wrecking me, I should take better care of myself". But that's often easier said than done, if it concerns your job(s) and you don't see an easy way out... I feel with you, Leeobee!

I'm starting June 1st as well.  This will be my second W30.  My first one was a success with a 17 pound loss and feeling all around better.  I celebrated my birthday at the end of the first W30... and been celebrating it for about 3 weeks now so time to get back on the plan.  I look forward to sharing successes with all the other June 1st start folks.

DeeDee

Hi. I am totally new to this. Inspired by my sister. Totally excited to start tomorrow!

Welcome hcmom! It's good to have someone close to you do the program with you. That and this group and all of the resources will help you get through the 30 days!

I woke to a beautiful sunny morning here in Maine! Cooked up some kale, cherry tomatoes, sausage and eggs in coconut oil, ate that with half a grapefruit and some black coffee. Now it's time to get ready for a hike with dog and daughter. 

Happy Day 1, everybody! And, if you're wondering what to expect over the next few days, I find this timeline to be freakishly accurate: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

ok.  june 1st is here and i've done no shopping.  so dependent on how today goes, i could be a June 2nd starter.  all good either way, i'm in.

i have done a two week sugar detox (including white potatoes, most wheat and CAFFEINE) before so i am aware of most of the challenges.  nervous about the no grain and no legume thing, for realzzzzzz. 

i am going out to breakfast with my parents this morning who think i'm nuts anyway, god love them, so i will just eat poached eggs and uh... fruit i guess unless they have veggies.  after than i'm heading to whole foods to knock out a paycheck.

yay us!

So happy to have this place to confer -or vent! I think the key for me in the last two successful Whole30s was lots and lots of compliant foods sitting in the fridge.

I have a nut trap so I will work on portion control for almonds, cashews and pistachios. And if that doesn't work, I may just avoid them.

I boil plenty of eggs and keep them ready with sliced tomatoes and buy several avocados a week. I also stuff a sweet potato with just about any vegetable scramble. I cook several extra portions of protein in my slow cooker to last a couple meals. I so dislike eating breakfast but I know how important it is.

I never remember to take Omega fish oil unless I am eating consciously on the Whole 30 when I'm hyper-aware of my diet. And when things get really tempting, I remind myself I can eat that temptation when the month is over (in moderation.)

Best to all today. I'm glad you're here! We can do this!

I woke to a beautiful sunny morning here in Maine! Cooked up some kale, cherry tomatoes, sausage and eggs in coconut oil, ate that with half a grapefruit and some black coffee. Now it's time to get ready for a hike with dog and daughter. 

Happy Day 1, everybody! And, if you're wondering what to expect over the next few days, I find this timeline to be freakishly accurate: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Sounds like a great morning! What a great way to start the Whole30 :)

During my first W30, that timeline was not at all accurate. I had already been very active and eating a mostly Paleo diet, so I didn't have the crazy withdrawal-type issues. But this time... oh, I've been eating the SAD hardcore. It's going to get ugly. I'll need to keep re-reading that timeline to remind myself that "this too shall pass"

So happy to have this place to confer -or vent! I think the key for me in the last two successful Whole30s was lots and lots of compliant foods sitting in the fridge.

I have a nut trap so I will work on portion control for almonds, cashews and pistachios. And if that doesn't work, I may just avoid them.

I boil plenty of eggs and keep them ready with sliced tomatoes and buy several avocados a week. I also stuff a sweet potato with just about any vegetable scramble. I cook several extra portions of protein in my slow cooker to last a couple meals. I so dislike eating breakfast but I know how important it is.

I never remember to take Omega fish oil unless I am eating consciously on the Whole 30 when I'm hyper-aware of my diet. And when things get really tempting, I remind myself I can eat that temptation when the month is over (in moderation.)

Best to all today. I'm glad you're here! We can do this!

Hello!  This is my second attempt at doing Whole30.  I tried it last year immediately in June 2013 after reading 'It Starts with Food', but it was just bad timing on my part because we were moving and with four kids it got to be a little too much-I just couldn't wait.  However, the ten days we did do it were amazing.  I had my kids do it with me.  This time only the hubby and I will be doing it and limiting the kid's sugar intake.  Last time we emptied out our fridge and threw everything away.  This time I'm just going to let the kids finish out what we have...we usually buy healthy non GMO stuff anyways so I'm not too worried about it.  But they will be eating whatever I make for dinner.

I'm am super excited to do this.  I've had skin cancer and some other dermatology issues.  At my last check up there were signs of pre cancerous cells, so I'm hoping Whole30 will help prevent it from turning full on cancer or at least slow down the growth.  And it would be awesome to lose some weight while I'm at it.  And I can't wait to try out some new recipes I've found!  

Fridge and pantry are mostly stocked and ready to go.  Just going to do some emergency proteins and buy a few more items.  

Best of luck to everyone!  We can do this!!

Hello,

This is my first post to the Whole30 forum. I am also starting today, June 1. I'm a little confused with how  these threads work. I'd like a June 1 support group. Will this current thread be ongoing or will we be starting a new thread day? For example, June 1 starters day 2......

Happy 1st day today, June 1 starters!!

Wynne, Thanks for the timeline! When I did this challenge 2 times before, I had been eating really well for a long time and I don't remember having most of those symptoms. However, this time, I have been eating all kinds of junk and I really don't feel well. Any symptoms I have from doing the W30 will be *nothing* compared to how poorly I have felt the last few days. I am REALLY looking forward to getting my energy back!

The first time I did this, I lost 14 lbs. The second time, I gained 1 lb. That never made any sense to me. I am hoping to lose weight this time. I need to lose about 35 lbs and I would LOVE to have a major jumpstart toward my goal!

Hello,

This is my first post to the Whole30 forum. I am also starting today, June 1. I'm a little confused with how  these threads work. I'd like a June 1 support group. Will this current thread be ongoing or will we be starting a new thread day? For example, June 1 starters day 2......

behealthy, we just keep this thread running for the entire 30 days or even longer. It just becomes one very long conversation.  :)

Thank you, Walker. Seems it may be little hard to navigate after a while, but I will give it a try.  B) 

I have subscribed to the whole30 daily e-mails, started over many times in the past two weeks but I think today is finally the day I am going to stick to it. I like all of the daily motivators and tips. I am following Mark Hyman's 10 day detox in terms of food, I am thinking that it is compatible. No wheat, dairy, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, legumes, grains, flours.....does allow tofu and tempeh, I don't remember if the whole 30 allows this or not? It is more restrictive on sugar, no sugar of any type, including fruit with the exception of 1/2 c of berries in the breakfast smoothie. But the overall idea is the same, whole, real, unprocessed foods, proteins, tons of vegggies. There are some other parts to this though that I want to incorporate, like walking, exercise, media detox, baths.... Is anyone else familiar with this program....following it, followed it before, etc.? Do you think it will work in conjunction with the whole30 system, e-mails, etc. Does it make sense for me to join in here??

Hello everyone! Good luck to all of us!!

My brain is feeling a little rebellious today, but I know that it is the carbs I ate yesterday talking. I need to go whip up a good lunch to get it to shut up. ;)

I hope you all have a fantastic day!

Yay, June 1st start! I did my first whole30 in February and it was great. Then I thought I could reintroduce foods and move on with my life, but it was so not that simple. I've really struggled since then and realized I need a new round of whole30 to get me back to feeling right. Let's do this!!! 

Hello,

You can just keep adding to this thread. That's how we get to know each other and see the issues and experiences that others are having. :-)

Welcome!

Archived