3 Meals a Day

I was just wondering about the science/logic/thought process behind whole30's 3 meals a day plan. I always hear that it's best to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day. I'm on day 4 and following the meal planning template and eating 3 meals a day, but if someone could fill me in on the benefits of 3 meals over 5-6, I would love to know!!

If you have not read It Starts With Food yet I would highly recommend doing so. It has been a year since I read it but I'm fairly certain they go into this in detail. The short answer is that 3 meals a day gives our hormones and digestion enough time to actually finish all their processes before we invade them with more food. It is about balancing things out. The 5-6 meal a day suggestion is really based around an assumption of getting the majority of our energy from carbs that we eat. When your body adjusts to burning fat stores for energy instead it really isn't necessary to eat that frequently. I will admit I was a skeptic at first but I've been eating this way for well over a year and my energy and mood is greatly improved and when I do get super hungry because life got in the way of a meal I don't have the overwhelming urge to bite someones head off anymore.

Archived