Autoimmune- So what CAN I eat?

I just joined two days ago.  I am so glad to have found this chat site!   I just found out through tests that I have a Rheumatoid disease.   Just had more tests to help pin point exactly what I have.     I will have to get the book Practical Paleo.  I did not know there were going to be certain foods to eat or eliminate with Auto Immune disease. 

I will certainly be reading and chatting with you all here. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished my first whole30 and now I'm shifting to paleo AIP.  I've got eczema and migraines as well as some other autoimmune stuff going on so I'm hoping something will work here!  The whole30 helped but I'm not all the way there.  Also, martha lyckman, you might want to start with just the regular whole30 and take it from there.  I'm glad that I did that first as a stepping stone, it would have been too extreme for me to jump straight into the paleo autoimmune protocol.

I made myself a color-coded list of foods to eat and avoid on the autoimmune protocol, perhaps it's helpful to share it.  I live in New York City where eating out is almost unavoidable, I plan to bring a copy of this list with me to restaurants when I have to eat out, and also use it when getting groceries: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKm7lPfRKUFc3k4b3VKc0J6RzQ/view?pref=2&pli=1

That list is specific to me, so you might have to make something different for you!  For example, avocados make me ill, so I put them on my "no" foods.  Also I am a pescatarian, which is why the "protein" section is kinda bizarre.  I listed high-mercury fish in yellow so I remember not to eat them too often.

• Moderators

I'm just going to take this drug for 3 weeks only.  I was told it's use for now is a diagnostic tool.  I want to refuse taking this and find alternative ways to helping my body.  I'm glad I'm doing this Whole30 with you all.   

Ask about tapering off it anyway, even if it's only three weeks, if it wasn't mentioned. It may not matter, but I say that because I was given a different steroid for some upper respiratory/allergy stuff, it was only seven days' worth, I think, but even at that it was set up to taper off -- like six pills day 1, 5 day 2, 4 day 3 and so on down. 

Ask about tapering off it anyway, even if it's only three weeks, if it wasn't mentioned. It may not matter, but I say that because I was given a different steroid for some upper respiratory/allergy stuff, it was only seven days' worth, I think, but even at that it was set up to taper off -- like six pills day 1, 5 day 2, 4 day 3 and so on down. 

I will ask.  This stuff is something else.  I feel like Super Woman.  Very alert.   I haven't been overly hungry on this eating plan either.   The only fruit I have in the house right now is Grapes, if I get a sugar urge, I have a couple of grapes. I usually love my chocolate every night too, but I haven't missed it either.  weird.  Just having once cup of coffee in the morning, then hot tea the rest of the day with bottles of water always.

I have psoriasis arthritis which is basically autoimmune arthritis with a lovely side of horrible skin condition. I also have a serious gluten intolerance and hashimotos which is autoimmune thyroid disease. So I am trying to heel myself with my diet. I feel so much better on the whole 30 or adhering to a strict paleo diet. I was on shots 2x a week for my arthritis because with out it I could not work. You have to find what your triggers are for your conditions. I have found that cutting out added sugar and fake sugar completely cures my arthritis and I have been able to go off the shots with zero arthritis pain. I mean 0! Its like a miracle or something. I still have fruit but not added sugar or very little. If I eat something sugary my arthritis pain is back.

I also cured my migraines with diet. Turned out the reason I would get migraines and violently vomit was because I was allergic to gluten.

My friend said that she found nightshades to be her trigger for arthritis.

Keep an eye on how you feel when you add things back in. Perhaps you have a trigger that you have no idea about.

If someone would have told me a few years ago that going off gluten I would have told them that they were crazy. But I no longer throw up all the time for no reason or get migraines at all. If you would have told me a year ago that I could go off of my $8000 a month arthritis shots just by cutting  sugar out of my life. I wouldn't have believed you. 2 simple dietary changes have completely changed my life!

Archived