Canned Tuna/Chicken?

catherine_as1

Hi everyone. I am on day 5 of the Whole30 and feeling good.

I have to go on a business trip for a few days next week and thought I had a good idea for clean protien sources to take on the road (in my suitcase on a plane, etc)- canned tuna and canned chicken.

However, I just looked at the tuna cans in my pantry and saw that one ingredient is vegetable broth with a note that it contains soy. Same with a packet of salmon I have. They are both chicken of the sea brand.

Does anyone know if there is a brand that doesn't contain soy and if so where I can get it last minute?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Every once in a while, I examine every can of tuna and salmon in the stores I shop. More than half contain soy, but there are always at least a few choices of Whole30-compliant stuff for me. You can shop by brand. The same brand may have varieties with soy and without. You have to read the labels.

I've given up on finding Whole30-compliant canned chicken at Publix, but other stores may have some.

Oh, man! I wish my Costco had WIld Planet! I was just there today and looked just in case but no dice. At least Amazon shows up on my doorstep!! :)

The manager at my Costco will order/request special items, especially if you emphasize that other people are likely to purchase it as well.

I grabbed some Hormel Chicken Breast in a can prior to W30...I'm on day 13 and hoping I didn't make a mistake by eating it...I typically buy the organic kind and didn't notice before eating it that it wasn't organic. Ingredients are as follows:

Chicken breast meat w rib meat

water

sea salt

modified food starch

sodium phosphates

chicken flavor (salt, chicken broth, natural flavors)

Please advise whether this is permissable or not...thanks

Candis,

That one's in your court. If it were me, I'd take into consideration how much canned meat I'd been eating and go from there. The amount of cornstarch in a can or two isn't likely to cause serious reset problems, but then again if you're trying to clear up some real digestive issues, you may feel better with 30 days of squeaky clean.

Candis,

That one's in your court. If it were me, I'd take into consideration how much canned meat I'd been eating and go from there. The amount of cornstarch in a can or two isn't likely to cause serious reset problems, but then again if you're trying to clear up some real digestive issues, you may feel better with 30 days of squeaky clean.

It was the only one I ate and I had 2 oz. for a pre workout...either way I'm going to continue eating on W30...it just seems so defeating to be on day 15 and have to start over

• 4 years later...

hi, im from mexico and i've been looking for a compliant tuna without soy i found one at costco kirkland signature that has tuna,water,salt and sodium phosphates, i was not sure it was ok because of the phosphates ... is it compliant? 

22 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Phosphates are fine for the purpose of Whole30

I found some at a Publix store that is "Genova" brand - packed in only EVOO and sea salt. Tried it drained and on a salad and tasted really good! Plus the cat loved the drained juice. :)

Archived